List Mgmt. Brendon Goddard (ST KILDA RULED OUT POSSIBLE RETURN)

Would you want him at the Saints again?

• Yes

Votes: 36 72.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 28.0%

• Total voters
Apr 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Victory, Storm
If we get Goddard it would reek of desperation.

a) He is simply not that good anymore;
b) Has questionable leadership qualities anyway.

So to answer your question, yes I would rather gift games to the kids. Maybe they will surprise you. I am not going to get spooked by 1 example (the Dees). There are many other examples where teams that have gifted games to kids and it has benefited them enormously. Our problem is appalling leadership from the board down the coaching staff. Bringing in an angry over the hill Goddard does nothing for us.

I love BJ, but it is a complete waste of time bringing him back to the club, for the 2 reasons posted above.

On what grounds does he have questionable leadership qualities? Because of some finger pointing and shouting?!

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
i have never conversed with you on anything and your first post to me have been in a negative to somehow make some pathetic joke ... jog on campaigner ... you wanna talk footy talk footy but leave the comedy to the people on this site who are actually funny ..
If your gonna whinge and tell people not to attack the man, don’t with your very next post call someone a campaigner.

k4z11l.jpg

saintmagic

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Obviously we will be after experienced coaches to replace Welsh and McPhee but I wouldn't be surprised if we take a recently retired player and bring them in as a development coach to replace Gilbee.

If BJ does decide to hang the boots up, would he make a good coach?

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Obviously we will be after experienced coaches to replace Welsh and McPhee but I wouldn't be surprised if we take a recently retired player and bring them in as a development coach to replace Gilbee.

If BJ does decide to hang the boots up, would he make a good coach?
I would love for Joey to come back to the club as a coach. He has a brilliant football mind and would be a fantastic coach.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
If your gonna whinge and tell people not to attack the man, don’t with your very next post call someone a campaigner.
not a winge just telling him to pull his head in due to a comment i interpreted wrongly ... he explained himself i accepted that and we move on ...
as you were ...

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Horrible idea IMO. Richo will play him every week, keeping blokes like Coff out of the side.

Let's not let our deplorable coaching staff be a reason to bring in any cooked 30+ bloke to provide leadership anywhere we can find it.
You could make it a coaching transitioning role like Mitchell. Plays 2 out of 3 games and sits in with the coaches every 3rd game or something like that. Should have told Richo to do that with Gilbo too IMO

You could make it a coaching transitioning role like Mitchell. Plays 2 out of 3 games and sits in with the coaches every 3rd game or something like that. Should have told Richo to do that with Gilbo too IMO
I like everything about this other than having Gilbo responsible for anything.

Yep, because Riewoldt said during one game that Savage kicks it long too much and suddenly everyone has always been of the opinion Savage is a terrible ball user.

There is only 1% difference between their disposal efficiencies this year, except Savage kicks the ball a lot more than Goddard. But yeah, woeful kick.

It's become folklore now. They work the ball out of defence a lot better with him in the side.

I would love for Joey to come back to the club as a coach. He has a brilliant football mind and would be a fantastic coach.

Roo on 360 tonight said that BJ has got an incredible knowledge of the game.
He’d certainly drive standards. I’m talking in a some kind of mentoring/ caching capacity. Not on the list.

Last edited:

STK2020

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
I would love BJ in some sort of assistant role .
Probably better served chasing Seedsman if it’s another half back we need .

malevu

Club Legend
Nov 1, 2013
Animal Enclosure
AFL Club
St Kilda
the fact BJ is a St Kilda hall of famer is a factor for sure .... having one of our boys back is certainly a draw card but so is getting a guy for free ... if the equation was we had to trade for him then most certainly we wouldnt do it but as a delisted free agent costing us nothing at all as a 200% improvment on multiple players on the list i reckon its worth a go .... really we could (should) delist up to 7 guys off the list who are not up to it but we wont do that cause that would have us using pick 100+ to fill spots up but if we were to cut that deep and even if only for a year replace them with a still decent player its worth the risk... i am with you that we need to look at the state comps for gems that go un-noticed as well but given the void on our list realistically we can do both

As I said yesterday, would you want him if he had played his whole career at Essendon and had never pulled on a Saints jumper ? I think not. You'd be saying too old, too slow, past it. I'm afraid you're letting your heart rule your head.

The fact that Freo and the Suns don't want him surely must tell you something.

D2D3

Club Legend
May 20, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
As I said yesterday, would you want him if he had played his whole career at Essendon and had never pulled on a Saints jumper ? I think not. You'd be saying too old, too slow, past it. I'm afraid you're letting your heart rule your head.

I don't think Freo and the Suns are exactly renowned decision makers. Goddard is old and has lost his place. But he is still a significantly better player than Gilbert and Newnes and Weller and Brown and Geary (tad debatable, but outside of defensive pressure Geary is worse than Goddard in every other way). Just reaks of more gutlessness from the club, more worried about its image and babying players than raising standards.

Aug 13, 2016
South Gippsland
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't think Freo and the Suns are exactly renowned decision makers. Goddard is old and has lost his place. But he is still a significantly better player than Gilbert and Newnes and Weller and Brown and Geary (tad debatable, but outside of defensive pressure Geary is worse than Goddard in every other way). Just reaks of more gutlessness from the club, more worried about its image and babying players than raising standards.
I agree with your player comparisons D2D3, but just because the club says "no" doesn't make it gutless.
Simply put, if the strategic vision for the club moving forward coincides with Goddard and everything he brings to the table then he'll be a saint next year. If not, he won't be.
It's not "gutlessness", simply a player not aligning with the clubs strategy....

...Now whether that strategy is correct or not is another debate...

Of all the posts in this thread i think this one sums up the situation the best , we all tend to let the heart rule the head at times

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

actually i would be keen on any player who came off playing 22 games this year with good foot skills and leadership ... especially if he was a free hit for us and being transitioned as an assistant coach ... the fact BJ is a St Kilda hall of famer is just the cherry on top of the cake ... i would take Burgoyne in the same manner, i would take McVeigh in the same manner i would have taken Hodge, i would take Roughead ....
the thing i want is:
- high skills to lift our base standard
- leadership
- and for it to not cost us anything

replacing one of the 40 listed players with a guy with proven skills even if its just for onee year is more desirable to me then sticking with Minchington or bringing in a Eljay Conners type late pick

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
Half back is the ideal position for the old head to help out. We had Montagna, who I thought from what I saw on the field wasn't much chop, but we shuffled him off into retirement and we've been worse for it.

Kade Simpson would have been good but he has re-signed. Jarrad McVeigh has a contract tying him to Sydney post-playing career. So Brendon is the one who is available.

But the club has pretty much ruled him out. I say get him in - because he played at St Kilda before is exactly why we know we want him. It's not a failing. He plays one year and transitions into a different off-field role. We'll be better for him.

Back