Recommitted Brennan Cox [OOC 2022]

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Although I can’t see him leaving, clubs like the Doggies, GWS, Essendon, Norf would surely all be circling. Can’t see it being a priority for either Adelaide or Port.

Key forward is absolutely a priority for port Adelaide

Westhoff is much better suited to playing up the ground and will be 33 next year

Dixon will be 29 next season

Marshall is a up and coming star

We need to partner some forwards with Marshall going forward.

Whether cox is the right player depends on a few factors. Luko would and should be our number 1 recruiting priority and we need to make sure we have the currency in hand to manufacture a trade if he ever decides to ask for one.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Key forward is absolutely a priority for port Adelaide

Westhoff is much better suited to playing up the ground and will be 33 next year

Dixon will be 29 next season

Marshall is a up and coming star

We need to partner some forwards with Marshall going forward.

Whether cox is the right player depends on a few factors. Luko would and should be our number 1 recruiting priority and we need to make sure we have the currency in hand to manufacture a trade if he ever decides to ask for one.
Interesting.

Crows are sitting on Carlton's 1st rounder this year which would make it difficult for you to get a persuasive auction going if it came to that this year.

MatFinish

Draftee
Apr 25, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I dont reckon Freo would entertain a trade. They've struggled with lack of key fwds for a few generations. They've now got great starters and a solid back up/developing player. I'd be surprised if give that up.

I dont reckon Freo would entertain a trade. They've struggled with lack of key fwds for a few generations. They've now got great starters and a solid back up/developing player. I'd be surprised if give that up.

I agree. He might want out for more gametime though.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
To get him you'd need to offer;
  • a decent salary. Wouldn't need to be over the top because he is young, but Fremantle will offer a decent contract.
  • a medium/long deal 3-5 years
  • a best 22 spot. Right now he is fringe, sloping towards best 22. You only give that up for better prospects.
After that, his trade value would be an interesting topic. Fremantle would only consider a best 22 player imo. The players they would certainly be asking questions about are Kelly, Coniglio and Martin. There is no deal there, but perhaps there could be the a start of a deal. Likely needs third parties involved. His pick value, maybe 15-25. Hard to measure. He has production, but it is still more about potential.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
  • a decent salary. Wouldn't need to be over the top because he is young, but Fremantle will offer a decent contract.
  • a best 22 spot. Right now he is fringe, sloping towards best 22. You only give that up for better prospects.
After that, his trade value would be an interesting topic. Fremantle would only consider a best 22 player imo. The players they would certainly be asking questions about are Kelly, Coniglio and Martin. There is no deal there, but perhaps there could be the a start of a deal. Likely needs third parties involved. His pick value, maybe 15-25. Hard to measure. He has production, but it is still more about potential.
If You start asking questions about kelly/cogs they will start asking questions about Fyfe/hogan...

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS

I dont think we're really hunting talls hard right now. Finlayson has morphed into a forward well and Corr is back this week. Connor Idun is on fire in the NEAFL and well ahead of expectations. Depends a bit on how Patton's rehab goes, and we'll know more as the year progresses.

That said we might be less reluctant to trade for players as the salary cap situation improves and he's a good prospect, if we are forced into a trade.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I dont think we're really hunting talls hard right now. Finlayson has morphed into a forward well and Corr is back this week. Connor Idun is on fire in the NEAFL and well ahead of expectations. Depends a bit on how Patton's rehab goes, and we'll know more as the year progresses.

That said we might be less reluctant to trade for players as the salary cap situation improves and he's a good prospect, if we are forced into a trade.
No, as I said there are not easy deals there, and don't see him as a fit for you. I think there is a strong possibility you guys match a bid for Coniglio and force a trade, which would mean a club coughing up multiple draft picks.

Just to be clear, I am in the "keep Cox unless he requests a trade" basket. And I also don't want us to seel the farm for any of those 3 players, including potential salary. Fremantle should be opportunistic if a trade opens up, but also happy to grow our own. We have a good structure to the side now.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
No, as I said there are not easy deals there, and don't see him as a fit for you. I think there is a strong possibility you guys match a bid for Coniglio and force a trade, which would mean a club coughing up multiple draft picks.

Just to be clear, I am in the "keep Cox unless he requests a trade" basket. And I also don't want us to seel the farm for any of those 3 players, including potential salary. Fremantle should be opportunistic if a trade opens up, but also happy to grow our own. We have a good structure to the side now.
That's pretty much as I saw it. I do think you have a good structure, but your forward line has a couple if new talls to fit in. The future if individuals might be a bit clearer at the end of the season maybe?

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
That's pretty much as I saw it. I do think you have a good structure, but your forward line has a couple if new talls to fit in. The future if individuals might be a bit clearer at the end of the season maybe?
Cox can play either end which is a significant factor to retaining him. I think he is a little slow for a KPD, but that versatility is great to have on the list. Also from his stats as a KPF he is looking like he has elite potential. That is where his trade value lies. I think he is pretty happy at the club, as most of our players seem to be. A club would need to be enticing both him and the club to get him.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Sorry to derail the thread, but is he gettable? His name has come up on the Bulldogs board as a potential trade target.

I reckon there is the potential he is gettable but things that I think should be taken into consideration:

(1) It seems Luke Ryan is a best buddy (To the point of them both even bleaching/dying their hair at the same time, and also getting suspended for drinking at the same time as well) and Luke Ryan is probably in the top 5 for this season for us.
(2) Likes playing forward, was drafted as a backman. Is competing with (when all fit) Taberner, McCarthy, Lobb (if Darcy or Sandilands are back in the ruck), Dixon, Meek and O'Reilly for a second forward / backup ruck position behind Hogan. I think if they were all fit he would be slightly behind Taberner. He is however one of the few of those that can play back.
(3) Some have argued that we are light on tall backs, with only Pearce, Hamling and Logue as the really large options.

Back