Brent Harvey - Let's get serious

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's get serious, North have had trouble attracting new stars to replace him.

Boomer is irreplaceable for a club like North.

Underrated.

One of the reasons he doesn't get mentioned along with those other champions is that he was a downhill skier that couldn't handle a tag.

He was a damaging player if left to run free but would go missing if he was up against a good tagger, Clint Jones shut him down whenever he played St Kilda.
All the greats have been tagged completely out of games mate.

All the greats have been tagged completely out of games mate.
Not all of them hid in the interchange box to try and get free.

Great player but North have had far better leaders and that drops his standing for me. Loved kicking a goal but didn't do too much when the other team had the ball. Not sure why the OP is trolling this way, he isn't close to the top 5 mids this century (if anyone cares I'd have GAJ, Judd, Voss, R. Harvey and Mitchell easily ahead off the top of my head).

There is absolutely no question he deserves to be in the top 5 midfielders of our game over the last 20 years.

Back to 1997. Michael Voss, Nathan Buckley, Robert Harvey, Chris Judd, Gary Ablett. Wouldn’t come close to touching the top five. Mark Ricciuto, Sam Mitchell, Simon Black, Ben Cousins, Dustin Martin, Patrick Dangerfield, Dane Swan ... he’d be a fair way down the totem pole IMO. Great player though no doubt.

Not all of them hid in the interchange box to try and get free.

Great player but North have had far better leaders and that drops his standing for me. Loved kicking a goal but didn't do too much when the other team had the ball. Not sure why the OP is trolling this way, he isn't close to the top 5 mids this century (if anyone cares I'd have GAJ, Judd, Voss, R. Harvey and Mitchell easily ahead off the top of my head).
Trolling? Are you serious? Can't I have an opinion without it being a troll? Or is it just expected that everyone has the same opinion re who they consider a champion? Come on.

Back to 1997. Michael Voss, Nathan Buckley, Robert Harvey, Chris Judd, Gary Ablett. Wouldn’t come close to touching the top five. Mark Ricciuto, Sam Mitchell, Simon Black, Ben Cousins, Dustin Martin, Patrick Dangerfield, Dane Swan ... he’d be a fair way down the totem pole IMO. Great player though no doubt.
You'd have him above Dustin Martin, Patrick Dangerfield and Dane Swan? Wow...

He wasn't really a full time midfielder. He was definitely one of the top small forwards in the game in the 2000s and early 2010s for sure. Was still one of the Kangas' best players in his later years as well

Brent Harvey. A name that just doesn't get discussed when talking about 'champions'. Sure we hear Hird, Voss, Buckley and to a lesser extent Harvey, Crawford, Cousins etc, but why does this guy never seem to come into the conversations of champions? Let's look at his stats.

432 games for 518 goals. Second in the clubs history.

4x AA
5x Club B&F
North Melbourne team of the century
Premiership player

These statistics are unrivalled for a midfielder. His CV is unbelievable. There is absolutely no question he deserves to be in the top 5 midfielders of our game over the last 20 years.

You play a million games and you're bound to fluke a few gongs along the way.

You'd have him above Dustin Martin, Patrick Dangerfield and Dane Swan? Wow...

I'd have all three above Harvey. All three have dominated seasons from the midfield and been the best midfielder in the game for a period of time. Harvey did neither of those things.

Arguably his career peak was the late 00s, where he was dominating as an outside midfielder. It's an important position to play, but it's less hard than playing inside and outside which Martin, Dangerfield and Swan have, all to a level where they dominated an entire season and were deemed by many to be the best in the league.

Harvey suffers from the fact that he played in a position which is deemed less important than prime midfielders are: that outside midfielder/half forward flank position.

Brent Harvey. A name that just doesn't get discussed when talking about 'champions'. Sure we hear Hird, Voss, Buckley and to a lesser extent Harvey, Crawford, Cousins etc, but why does this guy never seem to come into the conversations of champions? Let's look at his stats.

432 games for 518 goals. Second in the clubs history.

4x AA
5x Club B&F
North Melbourne team of the century
Premiership player

These statistics are unrivalled for a midfielder. His CV is unbelievable. There is absolutely no question he deserves to be in the top 5 midfielders of our game over the last 20 years.

For the record, two of those All-Australians were on the bench, and the other two were on the half-forward line. He's named on the North Melbourne team of the century, on a six-man bench.

I also wouldn't really call him a "midfielder" per se. Didn't play enough in the midfield consistently IMO, and often made his living as a half-forward. When he did, he would often play outside, which means he loses points IMO as the most damaging players play outside and inside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trolling? Are you serious? Can't I have an opinion without it being a troll? Or is it just expected that everyone has the same opinion re who they consider a champion? Come on.
When you state something as 'absolutely no question' when even the North tragics don't push that line then yeah, your motivation is a fair question.

Not arguing if he is or isn't, but agree that to say there is no question Harvey is a top 5 mid of the last 20 years is just down right wrong. Along with the names you've listed being in contention, then there's the part timers like Harvey who dominated in the midfield but also spent large portions of time in other positions on the ground like McLeod, Hird, Johnson, Akermanis, Koutoufides, Hodge, etc who are all highly decorated and were in or near the top echelon of players across their time.

He was no 'megastar' but I agree he deserved more recognition as a top player. Watching him read the game, run, skill execution etc was all exciting.

We see many elite players hit their peak and drop off just as quick. Players like Harvey and Fletcher as an example had a unique skill, an ability to adapt and change with the game time and time again for over a decade whilst staying fit and playing relatively consistently. This needs to be commended.

His personality could have been somewhat more likable but I think he did see some more of the spotlight towards his later years (2014 / 2015), especially when North made the prelims and commentators started realizing his skills weren't deteriorating vs his age.

When you state something as 'absolutely no question' when even the North tragics don't push that line then yeah, your motivation is a fair question.
No, it's not a fair question. Sorry to disappoint you but not everyone is as cynical as you'd like to believe with an agenda. I apologise that you weren't able to understand my OP.

One of the reasons I can only put this down to is that he doesn't get the recognition because he never won a Brownlow, yet Cooney & Woewodin won one. Go figure. There's no denying he absolutely trumped those two. He was actually better than so many 'champions' we have apparently given that title.

He gets more recognition than Cooney and Woewodin - and rightfully so. Harvey was a gun. The other 2 were just lucky Brownlow winners.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back