Retired Brent Harvey [retired]

Remove this Banner Ad

Think there's a real tunnel vision thing about it only makes sense for a club to get him if they're contending for the flag in 2017.

There are other ways a player like Harvey could benefit a team with a young, developing list, benefit in a way that would have an impact long after Boomer himself has retired.

Think there's a real tunnel vision thing about it only makes sense for a club to get him if they're contending for the flag in 2017.

There are other ways a player like Harvey could benefit a team with a young, developing list, benefit in a way that would have an impact long after Boomer himself has retired.
I think that might be less from the club perspective but form Harvey's point of view if he's going to play at another club it'd be mostly about the chance to win another flag.

NO from the Bulldogs. Whilst utmost respect for Boomer can't see how having him dislodge further game time development from the likes of Maclean and Clay Smith is an advantage. With Dalhaus, Hrovat, Caleb Daniel et al being able to play mid/small forward roles, and Boomer probs playing more as a permanent small forward don't think it works as a 2017 plan. Bev wants flexibility in his 22. Two years ago..... yeah... for sure.

So mayne to north apparently a done deal. I hope north aren't moving on boomer to replace him with Mayne?!
No it's not by any stretch of the imagination. It was Tim Watson that reported it so take it with a mega tonne of salt. We don't need him and he's a key forward that doesn't kick goals, no thank you. Brown, Wood and Daw are all we need with Durdin and Mckay in reserve.

So Brent is looking at his options.

Watching his game Saturday - he was still in North's best and has all the pace and zip required for his role in AFL.

I actually think he'd be a good fit at both WC and Sydney - however I don't believe he would entertain moving outside Melbourne.

Looking at Melbourne based clubs - Melbourne seem the best fit to me. They have some good tough inside grunt and hunt emerging on the outside. But some pace and class going inside 50m for 2 years, potentially when they are pushing for finals would be invaluable.

They wouldn't have to give up anything and I doubt the contract would be that expensive.

Thoughts?

Would have to be a team in a premiership window to make it worthwhile. The only Melbourne teams in that category are Geelong and the Dogs and I don't think either of the clubs needs Harvey.

Ruling out Hawthorn as they don't have a need for mature age players.

Even if he costs nothing, he's taking games away from developing players.

In saying that, he may end up at Collingwood as part of Buckley's target to make the 8 every 5 years to keep him in a job.

Would have to be a team in a premiership window to make it worthwhile.

This just seems like an often repeated cliche with no substance. Boomer has been delisted. If he loves playing footy then he'll play anywhere. If he loves money then he'll play for any coin. Daniel Cross did not go to a team in a premiership window after he was delisted, he came to Melbourne because of the coaching and leadership on and off field prospects. People act as if playing for a poor performing team is some kind of hell on earth, it's still a prestigious opportunity that is a step up from VFL and suburban footy and a chance for a player to have a real positive impact on the development younger inexperienced players.

There are many reasons for continuing a career besides the premiership window.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This just seems like an often repeated cliche with no substance. Boomer has been delisted. If he loves playing footy then he'll play anywhere. If he loves money then he'll play for any coin. Daniel Cross did not go to a team in a premiership window after he was delisted, he came to Melbourne because of the coaching and leadership on and off field prospects. People act as if playing for a poor performing team is some kind of hell on earth, it's still a prestigious opportunity that is a step up from VFL and suburban footy

There are many reasons for continuing a career besides the premiership window.

I'm not saying that Boomer wouldn't want to play for Melbourne, I think he'd be happy to go to most teams if he wants to continue his career...I'd be surprised if Melbourne wanted Boomer. Even if he played for free he's taking games away from your developing players and if you want to be pushing for a premiership in a few years surely that's of more value than a player who might help you get in the 8 - but at the cost of a younger player getting experience.

I'd be concerned if St Kilda were after him, I'd rather keep getting experience into our younger players.

You seem a bit defensive, are Melbourne heavily linked with him?

He should retire a one club legend.

I'm not saying that Boomer wouldn't want to play for Melbourne, I think he'd be happy to go to most teams if he wants to continue his career...I'd be surprised if Melbourne wanted Boomer. Even if he played for free he's taking games away from your developing players and if you want to be pushing for a premiership in a few years surely that's of more value than a player who might help you get in the 8 - but at the cost of a younger player getting experience.

I'd be concerned if St Kilda were after him, I'd rather keep getting experience into our younger players.

You seem a bit defensive, are Melbourne heavily linked with him?

He should retire a one club legend.

Not being defensive, i don't mind us bringing in an experienced player, It's not really about keeping a young player off the list, but making the younger player compete with the older player to actually provide the form necessary to warrant selection. We're current the youngest team on the field every week and there are players that should be developing in the VFL, fighting for a spot.

I don't know if we're after him or not, rumors around NDS and Thompson but not Boomer.

]i just hear the 'premiership window' phrase thrown around often without much justification. There are many reasons to go on.

Melbourne have a stack load of youth in their team. If there is a promising youngster - Harvey wouldn't be forcing them out - there are vacancies plenty for people to stamp their credentials and secure a spot.

Those who mentioned Hawks and Bulldogs - they already have a plethora of running outside (and inside) smalls. Melbourne seemed the one team "on the up" who could use Boomer to great effect. His skill around the half forward line is still evident.

You're missing the point entirely.

As I said, no one remembers or cares about Doug Hawkins playing for Fitzroy. He didn't sully any reputation at all by giving himself another year or two to squeeze every last drop out of his desire for playing more footy. Didn't die wondering and gave it a crack. So "nothing worse' is utter hyperbole.

There might be more of a stigma against Boomer to go on because he's the games record holder for one club, a well known kangaroo identity and a niggley player that is still playing great footy. You want him to go out on your terms of what your image of an unsullied one club player looks like. If he wants to give it a go and thinks he has something to offer then he should. It's unknown whether he has two super years or two mediocre years left in him.

If he went to Carlton he could be their leading goal kicker. Something to ponder for Boomer

I am one of the very few that would love him to come over. Give him an assistant coaches role with playing for one year. His knowledge on training, preparation, game day etc would just be invaluable to our young forward line, we have no leaders down there, barely any proper mature age forwards either. If he can mentor the C Curnows, Sumners, Buckleys etc it would do a world of good. He would also be our most talented down there.

Still perplexed by North Melbourne's decision to move him on - he is clearly playing well enough to go around again next year.

Despite his age I dare say there would be a fair few clubs speaking with him and his management. I'm not sure what he'll decide to do but I hope he goes around again next year somewhere else. Forget the "romance" of being a one club player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back