Retired Brent Harvey [retired]

Remove this Banner Ad

wells/boomer/mayne buckley coaching for his future desperate move
We lacked onfield leadership this season. If we don't replace Swan, Cloke, Macaffer, Toovey it's going to be worse and we're going to be worse next year and that's without considering Goldsack, Blair, Witts, Brown, Williams and Frost who are all rumoured to be looking elsewhere. Even if we hold half of the latter group that's 7 senior players out on top of deep cuts the last few years. If we don't bring any veterans in we'll be like Melbourne a few years back with just Nathan Jones and a bunch of kids.

If we bring in the right veterans with strong leadership skills it will help us for years via their mentoring of the kids. Hardly Buckley recruiting to save his arse.

Don't see the point of it from a Collingwood point of view- they are not contending next year.
Only going to cost us a list spot, s**t, maybe even a rookie spot (i doubt that though), what we need is leadership and experience, even our coaches would sound Boomer out on certain things let alone the players, makes sense to me.

Don't see the point of it from a Collingwood point of view- they are not contending next year.
The club are patching a few holes so they believe they are in a firm position to contend, put another 30 games into our youngsters aided with the experience and mentoring from the likes of Wells/Mayne/Harvey then there's no reason we can't contend.

The club are patching a few holes so they believe they are in a firm position to contend, put another 30 games into our youngsters aided with the experience and mentoring from the likes of Wells/Mayne/Harvey then there's no reason we can't contend.

If you are relying on Mayne, heaven help you. Did you see him this year? How many games are you planning for Wells to play? Maybe 10? You are better to pump the games into your youngsters (who are good if you give them a go). Trying to shortcut your way into the finals won't work. Take 2-3 years and you will stay up for a long time.

If you are relying on Mayne, heaven help you. Did you see him this year? How many games are you planning for Wells to play? Maybe 10? You are better to pump the games into your youngsters (who are good if you give them a go). Trying to shortcut your way into the finals won't work. Take 2-3 years and you will stay up for a long time.
There isn't a youngster they are keeping out. Wells played 19 games in 2016 with no fitness issues, why is he such a bad coup? Our 6-man forward line is definitely capable of averaging 25-30 goals a year among them, very capable of succeeding. I have large faith in the recruiting team, judging by recent pick-ups.

There isn't a youngster they are keeping out. Wells played 19 games in 2016 with no fitness issues, why is he such a bad coup? Our 6-man forward line is definitely capable of averaging 25-30 goals a year among them, very capable of succeeding. I have large faith in the recruiting team, judging by recent pick-ups.

Each to their own, I just don't see it. I see it as a coach trying to save face and that rarely works, rather just prolonging what will happen. You have a great nucleus of players, you should back your system and your youth. The youth won't get better unless they are given a shot. I hope it works, and if I'm wrong I'm the first to put my hand up.

Would make more sense for GWS or Geelong personally.

Each to their own, I just don't see it. I see it as a coach trying to save face and that rarely works, rather just prolonging what will happen. You have a great nucleus of players, you should back your system and your youth. The youth won't get better unless they are given a shot. I hope it works, and if I'm wrong I'm the first to put my hand up.

I repeat: there isn't a youngster they're keeping out, we're depleted of draft picks; it makes complete sense and at the cost of nothing. I'd be amazed that Gubby is trying to save his job also, he only just arrived and hasn't come under any scrutiny yet.

Harvey for 1 year is a no brainer IMO for any club barr North (as everything he knows has already been passed on), he could be used by a contending team as back up, or an inmature team for his experience-leadership and playing qualities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only going to cost us a list spot, s**t, maybe even a rookie spot (i doubt that though), what we need is leadership and experience, even our coaches would sound Boomer out on certain things let alone the players, makes sense to me.

I know we were in a complete different situation, but we brought in Cooney, Gwilt and a few others to give some support to the youngsters, but it wasn't these types of players who made us a better team it was the actual selections of players playing for their careers in Hartley, Tipungwuti, Brown and Dea also being able to give opportunities to players like Fantasia, Parish, Merrett, Langford in positions they wouldn't normally have played in.

So it's not only a list spot, but 3 list spots and an opportunity to find another good player for much longer then a year or 2. Also now 3 youngsters will receive less time at AFL level.
I think bringing in Mayne, Harvey and Wells isn't a great decision for the long term, very short sighted.

Last edited:
I thought midfield was Collingwood's strength. I keep hearing how many 'guns' they have in the middle of the ground. Maybe they should bring in some decent forwards to help Moore and defenders to help Reid. Wells when firing is a fantastic footballer but won't carry the Pies to the finals and Dal Santo is cooked. As for Mayne.....lol.

Love Boomer and he'd kick 30+ without much trouble next year. He is a signing for a team close to a flag. All he will teach the Pies youf is how to prepare properly.

Collingwood's list structure is very odd. Do Pies fans still think Buckley is any good? Hindsight is wonderful I guess but every man and his dog questioned him after he broke up a flag winning side and has ridiculed him every season since as his side drops further down the ladder.

I know we were in a complete different situation, but we brought in Cooney, Gwilt and a few others to give some support to the youngsters, but it wasn't these types of players who made us a better team it was the actual selections of players playing for their careers in Hartley, Tipungwuti, Brown and Dea also being able to give opportunities to players like Fantasia, Parish, Merrett, Langford in positions they wouldn't normally have played in.

So it's not only a list spot, but 3 list spots and an opportunity to find another good player for much longer then a year or 2. Also now 3 youngsters will receive less time at AFL level.
I think bringing in Mayne, Harvey and Wells isn't a great decision for the long term, very short sighted.
Melbourne went well when they just played kids alongside Nathan Jones... Gold Coast's development has also been spot on with Ablett and barely any other proper leaders at the club.

I thought midfield was Collingwood's strength. I keep hearing how many 'guns' they have in the middle of the ground. Maybe they should bring in some decent forwards to help Moore and defenders to help Reid. Wells when firing is a fantastic footballer but won't carry the Pies to the finals and Dal Santo is cooked. As for Mayne.....lol.

Love Boomer and he'd kick 30+ without much trouble next year. He is a signing for a team close to a flag. All he will teach the Pies youf is how to prepare properly.

Collingwood's list structure is very odd. Do Pies fans still think Buckley is any good? Hindsight is wonderful I guess but every man and his dog questioned him after he broke up a flag winning side and has ridiculed him every season since as his side drops further down the ladder.
Our list structure is fairly normal if pretty young. Basically all our players are in the 20-25 bracket with a couple older. Quite a few of the older ones have left. Don't see what is so wacky about a list like that.

Nothing wrong with an input of experience particularly when Collingwood gave up their first round selection for Treloar - which has seen benefits. For Pies' sakes hopefully giving up 2 x first rounders for 1 doesn't come back to bite them in 3-4 years. I probably wouldn't bother with Mayne though Wells and Harvey could be real positives for Collingwood.

Buckley's foregoing the future of the club in an attempt to save his own skin.

IMO they don't need too many reinforcements and particularly players over 30. Their list is in fairly good shape with the talent coming coming through.

They should be focusing on key position players not 38 year old short people.

Why did you re-sign Jobe Watson at the age of 31 then when there could be a youngster he's keeping out that's capable of 15 years' service?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back