Brent Macaffer out in the cold

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Brett Macaffer out in the cold

Sorry Tro, but that is a ridiculous call!

Pearce would definitely be in our best 22, without a doubt in mind. Whether we need another outside midfielder/run and carry player is another question though. I wouldn't say no if we got Pearce on the cheap to Collingwood, but when do Collingwood ever get anything cheap from other clubs... (outside Fremantle)
did alright with Saints if I recall.:thumbsu:

I think people overrated him on this board, to be honest.

Last year he was always in the 20-25 range, and this year he hasn't improved his position at all (mainly due to injury). I certainly think he is one who could be moved on for some value.

If he could be moved on for a first round pick, that would be a tremendous result, or packaged somehow to enable us a crack at O'Meara (although unlikely) that would be a good outcome in my opinion.

I don't know about overrating him. I think it's more a case of people seeing the value in the role he plays in the side.

It reminds me a bit like Toovey. Not the greatest individual football player but before he came in and held down that small defensive role we really struggled against sides with good small forwards.

Macaffer is a perfect fit for our forward line as he adds variety and strengths in areas we currently lack. That would be one of my concerns if we traded him is that we wouldn't get the value for him that he would add to the team.

Macaffer is required imo.

I reckon his currency within Collingwood is higher than it would be at the trade table, not many would realise how good he was in the back end of 2010.

Fasolo
Blair
Didak

MaCaffer when fit definately ahead of Blair and Fasolo and maybe Didak if he doesnt regain some form. Wouldnt discard Krakouer from that group but with a full preseason Im sure Krakouer will improve his fitness.

I dont think we can have all of Didak, Blair and Fasolo in the same team tbh.

We didn't pull an offer, it says we haven't even made him one yet and that Caff wants to stay but is yet to be informed if he is a required player under Buckley.

IMO, you don't get rid of players who want to stay, especially ones that can play. It's not as if he is a total fringe player who is a hack. Had it not been for injury, he would have been a fit best 22 player throughout 2011.

We wouldn't get adequate compo if we let Caff leave. Not a good idea for mine.
He's a Fasolo type player in my books. I think Macaffer will replace Didak when fit- or he would have under Malthouse, not entirely sure about Buckley he hasn't coached a game!

We do need him though because our ruck stocks are looking thin.

Yeh when Jolly is resting the Caff can easily account for Sandilands, Nic Nat, Ottens etc.

Seriously MaCaffer was very good in the latter half of 2010. Why contemplate trading a bloke who was a key to our forward structure in our premiership year and who has had an injury interupted year? Doesnt make sense. Nobody played MaCaffers role well this year, its not as if we have a ready made replacement.

It is insane to consider pushing McCaffer out. His 2010 season and grand final performances say so. He was injured this year. We do not have another player like him.

The extension thoughts of pushing Beams and Goldsack are not sensible either. Like many others, I thought Goldsack should have played in the GF. The club has not treated him well.

Beams has been good when not injured.

Jolly is also being talked about. Astounding. He played a reasonable GF on one leg. He carries the ruck.

In short, why are there so many suggestions that we unload good players?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be very disappointed if we lost him, as has been said his form towards the end of last year was outstanding and he played a role which we struggled to fill this season.

His defensive work is outstanding, he is a dangerous forward option with great hands, he's very strong and composed and is generally a clean disposer of the ball. We don't have a similar player on our list ready to replace him either.

Well we stuffed this up didnt we! He would have been hard and tough on grand final day. Thats a big black mark agains our management squad

Well we stuffed this up didnt we! He would have been hard and tough on grand final day. Thats a big black mark agains our management squad

You are talking as though he has left. He hasn't. And I havn't seen anything but half baked rumours to suggest otherwise. It wouldn't surprise me if Macaffer were to leave, depending on where Bucks has told him he stands in the side, but it would greatly dissapoint. I do stand to the assertion though that WC would appear to be a strange destination and on that grounds the rumour seems even more bogus to me.

It think we all need to remember is that we are not looking to punt Caff at this point.

From what we've read, Caff wants to stay at the club but hasn't had discussions with Bucks yet.

Perhaps there are guys ahead on the pecking order, to get resigned 1st.

Perhaps also the rumours that WCE have enquired about him and the rumours we have enquired about WCE players (Koby Stevens, Ash Smith & Lewis Stevenson) has made people come to conclusions.

I like Caff and hope he stays. He allows Trav & Dawes to both stay at home more, when he leads up to the wing.

If Caff wanted out, we'd probably do the deal for a second rounder.

Can't think of a player we would want from you guys so the pick on its own would probably do.

Looks like Caff will stay but if we were to deal with Richmond I'd be keen to get Batchelor across.

If Caff wanted out, we'd probably do the deal for a second rounder.

Ugh. Probably wouldn't get much more, but this is exactly the reason why we should keep him.

If he does demand out (which doesn't seem to be the case) I'd offer him to GWS for a 5th rounder as protection basically.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back