Brent Macaffer out in the cold

Remove this Banner Ad

Ugh. Probably wouldn't get much more, but this is exactly the reason why we should keep him.

If he does demand out (which doesn't seem to be the case) I'd offer him to GWS for a 5th rounder as protection basically.

lol not following you here mdc.

Offer him to GWS for a 5th rounder? We'd get more than that.

lol not following you here mdc.

Offer him to GWS for a 5th rounder? We'd get more than that.

As in offer him to them cheaply to ensure they can't get SP, Reid & co.

Richmond's 2nd rounder isn't going to net us a player that can help us any time soon anyway.

Richmond's 2nd rounder isn't going to net us a player that can help us any time soon anyway.

lol why would they go for that mdc? If they really wanted him, they'd take him for free.

We only get protection if we lose him as a uncontracted player. If we trade him to them then WS can still get an uncontracted player.

Yeah, didn't think that through. Hopefully he's offered a contract pronto and all this speculation dies.

Much the same as krak, 2V and sack. Best 22 to 25 players getting ousted Js a worry

I was about to ask whats up with Krak then saw that article. Love ya work Kraks but you're not worth half a million a year. I'm kinda surprised he's asking for a pay increase this soon to be honest, I mean yeah get what you're worth but given his circumstances being back at a club and making 6 figures isn't exactly too bad.

The half a million figure is hilarious in it's total insanity.

If he's worth that then what are the likes of Pendles, Swan, Thomas, Cloke etc worth? 2 million a year??? Ha!

He's maybe worth $200-250k if lucky at his age. Who the hell is going to pay more than that?

Whats with all our players wanting massive pay increases.

Seems to me the only one who so far has been willing to take a pay cut is Dawesy.

It's the GWS and GC effect, they still have massive amounts in their salary caps to spend over the next few seasons, and managers know this.

Would we be shattered if Krak demanded 500K and then left at the end of next year? Probably not, but I suspect it won't happen anyway, as this is just another case of a douche bag manager talking s**t, without his players knowledge.:thumbsdown:

The problem is that when the players make these outrageous demands, as Toovey has also done according to The Age today, it makes you think about their contribution to the team and their skills and question their worth. I have never truly questioned Toovey, but now his ordinary/games and errant kicking are suddenly highlighted in my mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading the articles on these guys let's take a guess at what the journos would be saying to the players.

Journo thinks 'Pies having salary cap pressure'. 'Ok who's out of contract'. Let's chat to their manager as the player (like Dawesy) will just toe the club line and that's not going to make a good article.

Manager says "my players not signed yet but he had a good year/is a premiership player and deserves a pay increase".

The media have made this look like we have all these money hungry greedy pigs at our club.

Player quoted as wanting to stay at the Pies only after sensationalising the managers quotes.

Have faith in Walshy. I feel he has a good feel for a players value. My Salary cap calculations tell me we still have a bit in the cap to fill but have our eyes on someone.

If one or 2 of Ugle, Rounds, Elliott (if traded for) or Dick (if he stays on list) prove good AFL players next year, Krak could well be gone at age 29 if he asks for too much dough.

McConville just said that Macaffer still does not have an offer on the table! WTF is going on down there!

I can understand that he may want to leave if the offer on the table is too low but for us to not have ANYTHING on the table is flat out unacceptable for mine.

Extremely disappointing to here...

Yeah, it sounds like if we sign MacAffer then everyone will know we can't retain Toovey and we lose any leverage in a trade. Nasty situation.

One of them has to be traded. Wish they'd hurry up.
You do realise that the trade period ends on Monday, yes?

The clubs can't actually file paperwork for trades on the weekend, but there's nothing to stop them continuing to talk and negotiate through the weekend.

I'd be disappointed if we lose Macaffer. I've always seen him as a player that is capable of standing up in big games even if things aren't going our way. I'll never forget his involvement in the last quarter of that final vs Adelaide, he was huge. I know he had a very injury interrupted year, but I don't know why he wasn't given a few more chances late in the year, even if it was just to get match practice into him so he can be ready as a backup if needed. I think there would have been more value playing him in front of players like Rounds and McCarthy.

Yeah, it sounds like if we sign MacAffer then everyone will know we can't retain Toovey and we lose any leverage in a trade. Nasty situation.

Very good point.

I reckon there would definitely be interest in Cafeteria from Richmond, but can't think what deal would be done given they are offering Adelaide their 2nd rounder.

McCarthy to North a possibility, maybe for a 2nd round swap or similar.

Toovey to WC for Koby Stevens.

I wouldn't be against trading both Toovey and Macaffer for draft picks. Would give us cap relief so next year we don't see ourselves in such a sh*t position again.

I dont think a club is going to be so stupid to give us a second round draft pick for a guy that we might have to delist...

...not unless the old Freo recruiting crew is still around.

we might have to end up swapping him for draft pick 60+

Offer Toovey or Macaffer to either North or Melbourne. Both head coaches were ex assistants at Collingwood so hopefully they won't try to screw us over.

Would not be comfortable trading either Toovey or Macaffer.

Need to move Buckley + McCarthy on. Regardless of what we get in return, if it means we can retain Tooves + Caff.

Would even move Blair over Toovey + Macaffer frankly.

could not AGREE more!! :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back