Brenton Speed

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Brenton Speed and Jason Bennett are highly underrated as play by play commentators.

Bennett is particular on channel 7 is far and away their best caller. You barely notice him, he calls the correct names, uses tone well according to a games tempo and defers well to special comments guys, which is what you want.

Unlike BT and his weird pronunciations and McAvaneys 1,482,830 rhetorical questions per game.

Seven had to go to a fair bit of effort and cost to make it work for Bruce. They wouldn't of done it for anyone else.

The networks are saving money not being onsite - Your argument doesn't wash.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
The networks are saving money not being onsite - Your argument doesn't wash.

It's not my argument, regardless of what you think of them if you can't see that Channel Seven would go out their way to include McAvaney in Friday night football given his standing at the station and health issues compared to Speed at Fox then it's not my problem.

It's normal to have commentators and production off site but that is usually based in one location not two.

Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Atalanta B.C
Now that the games are out of Vic, I'd hope they'd be able to put O a qld/syd commentary team of speed/lynch whoever else for at least some games.
Similarly papalia, pav, whoever for some Perth games.
I know they want to use their Vic crew but silly not to call some games on site when they very well can.

It's not my argument, regardless of what you think of them if you can't see that Channel Seven would go out their way to include McAvaney in Friday night football given his standing at the station and health issues compared to Speed at Fox then it's not my problem.

It's normal to have commentators and production off site but that is usually based in one location not two.

What we are discussing is the use of Speed as a boundary rider - Well if you have the technical capability for him to be at the SCG as a boundary rider, then he can call the game - Speed either calls the game or he doesn't appear on the telecast.

3rd Grade Maggy

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2004
In the Finals ...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Southampton
His call in the Suns vs Swans game was great, just an idle background voice without intrusion or annoyance.
Seriously - who does this guy think he is? Getting players names correct. Actually doing play by play. Not calling every bog standard goal 'AMAAZING'. Get him back to the VFL with Papalia.

Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Seriously - who does this guy think he is? Getting players names correct. Actually doing play by play. Not calling every bog standard goal 'AMAAZING'. Get him back to the VFL with Papalia.
Oh it was unbearable listening to Darcy commentate and finishing every sentence with “On Anzac Day”, why can’t this be the norm??

He called the crows v GWS game on Saturday. Reckon he was in Sydney, Ricciuto was on the boundary line at AO and the rest of the commentary team was in Melbourne. Was a very smooth transition between callers.

It struck me whilst he was calling how little hype and repeated BS stories during his section of the call compared to so many others.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
He called the crows v GWS game on Saturday. Reckon he was in Sydney, Ricciuto was on the boundary line at AO and the rest of the commentary team was in Melbourne. Was a very smooth transition between callers.

It struck me whilst he was calling how little hype and repeated BS stories during his section of the call compared to so many others.

We really shouldn’t be that surprised though. He’s a professional sports caller that chose this profession and has spent years perfecting his talent. The others are a bunch of ex footy bogans with no training looking to earn a pay packet after the gravy train stopped rolling when they retired.

We really shouldn’t be that surprised though. He’s a professional sports caller that chose this profession and has spent years perfecting his talent. The others are a bunch of ex footy bogans with no training looking to earn a pay packet after the gravy train stopped rolling when they retired.
I wasn't really surprised, it was more pleasantly surprised, I didn't have to listen to any crap during his call.

Its the first game I've heard him call this year, and whilst it was no different to what I have heard him do in the past, same high end professional standards, after watching about 30 games with boorish commentators this year, it was really nice on my ears .... until I had to listen to Kellie Underwood on the other half of the call.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
I wasn't really surprised, it was more pleasantly surprised, I didn't have to listen to any crap during his call.

Its the first game I've heard him call this year, and whilst it was no different to what I have heard him do in the past, same high end professional standards, after watching about 30 games with boorish commentators this year, it was really nice on my ears .... until I had to listen to Kellie Underwood on the other half of the call.

It’s a shame for Underwood as she has some good knowledge, her commentary flows well & appears to do some research but that voice is just terrible.

As for the others I agree. It sounds like a bunch of half cut mates down the local having a great ol time. I’ve always believed just like in the cricket and Warnies pizza topping days they’re instruct to commentate like this by a bunch of half wit producers.

Back