Brenton Speed

Remove this Banner Ad

We really shouldn’t be that surprised though. He’s a professional sports caller that chose this profession and has spent years perfecting his talent. The others are a bunch of ex footy bogans with no training looking to earn a pay packet after the gravy train stopped rolling when they retired.

it is a surprise actually. Anyone who’s heard him on A-League calls knows that over-exaggerating everything, telling BS stories, inserting his own opinions unnecessarily and over-commentating the game of soccer is EXACTLY his style of commentating in what has been his bread-and-butter sport

so to be rather clean in AFL is a surprise, as a matter of fact.

it is a surprise actually. Anyone who’s heard him on A-League calls knows that over-exaggerating everything, telling BS stories, inserting his own opinions unnecessarily and over-commentating the game of soccer is EXACTLY his style of commentating in what has been his bread-and-butter sport

Thats fair enough to say as I don’t watch a lot of soccer. Like I’ve said his style on AFL coverage is pretty much what a lot of fans want to hear so I wasn’t surprised due to him being a pro commentator like Papalia & Bennett. But I understand what your saying because it sounds like you watch way more local soccer than me 👍

I used to like him there but he really goes over the top about refereeing and such.
I think the problem with commentary in general is its a thing many try too hard do, to commentate well is to let the game speak for itself, once they insert too much of themselves in it it takes away from the spectacle.
My favourite commentary of any sport are the lesser hyped serie A games where its one commentator who lets the game flow, comments and informs when necessary but its very low key in tone and enjoyable.

Horrific caller for the A League the last year and more. Not sure what happened to him but he's gone from good to awful.

What happened to this guy? never hear him commentating any more, up there with papalia and Nicholson as good actual commentators, not ex players.

What happened to this guy? never hear him commentating any more, up there with papalia and Nicholson as good actual commentators, not ex players.
Left Fox Sports- think he's freelance now. Did some of the Australian Open on Nine earlier this year.

Works for Nine. Commentates the NRL games on Sunday’s for them as well as the aforementioned golf and tennis.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back