Traded Brett Deledio [traded to GWS for Geelong's 2017 1st rd pick and GWS's 2017 3rd round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Remaining first rounders: Patton, Coniglio, Buntine, Haynes, Tomlinson, Greene, Smith, Whitfield, Kelly, Hopper, Kennedy, Himmelberg

So we have 12 first rounders on our list which is less than Carlton for example.
Buntine, Kennedy and Himmelburg would probably be in many clubs' best 22.

GWS didn't "lose" 12 first rounders. They traded Boyd, Tyson, Adams, McCarthy, Jaksch, Marchbank, etc for MORE draft picks

• Aiden Corr? Pick 14 in the 2012 draft.
  • Jeremy Cameron?
  • Nathan Wilson?
Cameron & Wilson were part of the group of 17yos you signed who would've been early 1st round picks on the free market.

What about the 1st round talent you've acquired from other clubs?
  • Deledio (Pick 1) - GWS traded a 1st rd pick to get him
  • Scully (Pick 1) - signed away from Melb for $millions
  • Griffen (Pick 3) - acquired by trading pick 1 Boyd
  • Davis (Pick 10) - signed away from Adelaide for $millions
  • Ward (Pick 14) - signed away from W.B. for $millions
- Also signed Shane Mumford (gun), Heath Shaw (gun), Joel Patfull (2 x B&Fs)

So you've said you only have 12 1st rounders remaining, but the reality is you have 20+

Last edited:
How are GWS "much" better than the cats?
Home and Away ladder suggests otherwise on 2016 form
View attachment 303329
If choosing mids i'd take Danger and Jelwood before any GWS mid. 3rd - 6th are probably GWS mids
Seriously this GWS group tug is becoming embarrassing.
They have a lot of potential - heater is a year older, Patful is older, Griffen is older, their experienced players are not getting any younger (Doesn't mean they'll get worse tho - doesn't mean they'll get better tho)
What mistake did the cats make? they had nothing to trade to the Tigers. Doggies saw an opportunity but left it too late apparently or went in low ball hoping for a disgruntled Lids to jump ship hoping for finals success
Lids is a bloody good player, how he adapts and suits the GWS game style remains to be seen

Could just be me, But I'd take Callan Ward over Selwood, maybe Shiel as well.

Do people really count that? A guy that is almost 30? I don't think his draft ranking over a decade ago matters much now.

If playing by those rules then Carlton have far more than us
A blanket statement was made that undersold the number of first round picks on your list - GWS do have more first round picks on their list than previously stated, especially when you consider Scully isn't anywhere near 30 and you traded a first round pick to get Lids anyway.

Buntine, Kennedy and Himmelburg would probably be in many clubs' best 22.

GWS didn't "lose" 12 first rounders. They traded Boyd, Tyson, Adams, McCarthy, Jaksch, Marchbank, etc for MORE draft picks

• Aiden Corr? Pick 14 in the 2012 draft.
  • Jeremy Cameron?
  • Nathan Wilson?
Cameron & Wilson were part of the group of 17yos you signed who would've been early 1st round picks on the free market.

What about the 1st round talent you've acquired from other clubs?
  • Deledio (Pick 1) - GWS traded a 1st rd pick to get him
  • Scully (Pick 1) - signed away from Melb for $millions
  • Griffen (Pick 3) - acquired by trading pick 1 Boyd
  • Davis (Pick 10) - signed away from Adelaide for $millions
  • Ward (Pick 14) - signed away from W.B. for $millions
- Also signed Shane Mumford (gun), Heath Shaw (gun), Joel Patfull (2 x B&Fs)

So you've said you only have 12 1st rounders remaining, but the reality is you have 20+
Wilson was in no way looking like a first round selection. Cameron yes but definitely not Wilson. So the factual statement of "900 first rounders" is far from truth. Mumford was originally a rookie and because he is a gun now doesn't retcon his original draft standing

A blanket statement was made that undersold the number of first round picks on your list - GWS do have more first round picks on their list than previously stated, especially when you consider Scully isn't anywhere near 30 and you traded a first round pick to get Lids anyway.
As opposed to blanket statements about us having "37000" first rounders?

As opposed to blanket statements about us having "37000" first rounders?
If you can't understand the difference between facetiousness someone making a patently false state that's your problem.

I simply corrected the number to the actual number of players that we have drafted in the first round. I don't know why this is affecting you so much?
I merely corrected you.
Deledio and Griffen and Scully and Davis and Ward were first round picks, even though you want to pretend (or lie) they're not.
Not sure why this upsets you, but meh.

The AFL has created a monster.
I cant see them ever being a bad team.
They have so many top line players when/if they want to change clubs they will still get high end picks and the cycle will keep repeating.
Club legends will want to go there to win flags.
Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat

Apparently the gifted 1st round talent on the GWS list is all just an exaggeration. It's a figment of our imaginations.

You've got to understand: the Giants have worked hard to get to where they today. Their club nearly went to the wall back in 2013. Those were dark times. The situation was dire. But everybody pulled together and through blood sweat and tears - not to mention some brilliant maneuovering, smart decision making and a healthy slice of luck - they were able to forge a strong club culture which was clearly evident at the packed house on Preliminary Final day when the young Giants fought against the odds, backs to the wall and nearly defeated the eventual premiers.

One day, someone will make an uplifting inspirational movie about the Giants titled "Never Surrender"

Wilson was in no way looking like a first round selection. Cameron yes but definitely not Wilson.
Really?

So why then did the Giants choose him when the AFL said you can pick any 17yos you want?

They just thought they'd take a punt on Nathan "Rudy" Wilson, the quiet kid in the corner who had the good attitude and a solid beep test?

I merely corrected you.
Deledio and Griffen and Scully and Davis and Ward were first round picks, even though you want to pretend (or lie) they're not.

Actually, Ward was a second round pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really?

So why then did the Giants choose him when the AFL said you can pick any 17yos you want?

They just thought they'd take a punt on Nathan "Rudy" Wilson, the quiet kid in the corner who had the good attitude and a solid beep test?

Because the AFL said, for both Gold Coast and GWS, that they couldn't "pick any 17yos you want". They only got to pick from the first quarter of the year, so it makes sense that there's probably only four first rounders (a quarter of the first round back then), four second rounders and so on.

1st round.. 2nd round…

With 18 teams picking, he'd be a 1st rounder

If he quit the Dogs in 2011 and nominated for the national draft, he would've been a top 5 pick

18 selections were made before Ward was selected. 16 + 2 priority picks in Kreuzer and Rance. You say he'd be a first if 18 teams picked, but he was taken at 19, so likely, he wouldn't.

18 selections were made before Ward was selected. 16 + 2 priority picks in Kreuzer and Rance. You say he'd be a first if 18 teams picked, but he was taken at 19, so likely, he wouldn't.
What does it matter? What are we arguing about? :huh:

Like I said already, he was a steal for the Bulldogs with a pick in the late teens
It was obvious after 2-3 years that Rioli, Dangerfield, Ward and Cotchin were the picks of the crop

If he'd nominated for the 2011 draft (when the Giants offered him millions) he would've been a top 5 pick

If he'd nominated for the 2011 draft (when the Giants offered him millions) he would've been a top 5 pick

If that's the metric than we should discard half of those GWS players getting counted as "first round picks" given where they'd have gone if they went through the draft to swap teams. :p

It's amazing to me that Hawthorn was able to wheel and deal from 2009 to 2012 and build a team around their nucleus of Hodge, Mitchell, Roughy, Rioli, Birchall and Lewis that was good enough to win three successive flags. But as good as they were, it doesn't come close to the embarrassment of riches at the Giants disposal.

I shook my head when you let #1 pick Tom Boyd got to the Bulldogs and picked up their captain, All-Australian Ryan Griffen. I thought, "Bloody hell… Here we go.." Then you added Stevie J… And now Deledio. Success-starved guns are going to be queuing up to play with they Giants over the next decade. People were so butt1hurt about Hawthorn signing guys like Lake and McEvoy, but it's nothing compared to what the Giants will do over the next 10 years.

Good luck to you. Enjoy. You're never going to see another era like this. But your perspective as a GWS fan is pretty skewed.
Look at it this way: if the Giants and Suns hadn't come into the comp, there is no way Hawthorn would have won three flags in a row. You should be grateful.

Look at it this way: if the Giants and Suns hadn't come into the comp, there is no way Hawthorn would have won three flags in a row. You should be grateful.
Really?

That sounds like something a genius on Big Footy would say. I've yet to hear anyone expand this theory into anything more than a 3 second soundbite

When the Giants and Suns came into the comp, Hawthorn were between flags. They finished 7th in 2010. They would've normally received the 10th pick in the draft and selected Tom Lynch. But they were bumped all the way down to pick 19 and shocked the football world when they plucked 22yo Isaac Smith from North Ballarat.

Please list all the Gold Coast and GWS guns from 2013-2015 and explain how distributing these equally amongst 16 teams (inc Hawthorn) would've made any difference to the balance of power within the AFL, particularly at the top of the ladder (Haw, Syd, Freo, Geel, Port, WCE, NM).

Show your workings...

It amuses me how it's often Tigers fans who spout this crap. Poor deluded sods thinking they were just a couple of good players away from challenging for a flag. Richmond was one of the lucky clubs who received an early pick inside most of the GC concessions. Reese Conca at pick 6. :D

The Giants young guns were all 21yo-22yo at the end of the 2015 season. Cameron, Greene, Shiel, Treloar and Coniglio were the only ones who had shown any consistency. How does adding one of these guys to another club mean that Hawthorn don't win the 2015 flag?

Last edited:
I merely corrected you.
Thanks for the personal attack and callin me a liar but I stated in quite plain English that I was referring to the number of players that GWS DRAFTED(key word) in the first round.

Really?

If you did any actual research as opposed to furiously typing in what you think were the rules surrounding the U17 signings then you would know that eligibility rules regarding birth dates. Only so many players born within that time frame to choose from and the players themselves had to agree to being picked up.

It was the same rules for both GC and us so I don't know why your acting as if it's some special GWS only thing

Really?

That sounds like something a genius on Big Footy would say. I've yet to hear anyone expand this theory into anything more than a 3 second soundbite

When the Giants and Suns came into the comp, Hawthorn were between flags. They finished 7th in 2010. They would've normally received the 10th pick in the draft and selected Tom Lynch. But they were bumped all the way down to pick 19 and shocked the football world when they plucked 22yo Isaac Smith from North Ballarat.

Please list all the Gold Coast and GWS guns from 2013-2015 and explain how distributing these equally amongst 16 teams (inc Hawthorn) would've made any difference to the balance of power within the AFL, particularly at the top of the ladder (Haw, Syd, Freo, Geel, Port, WCE, NM).

Show your workings...

It amuses me how it's often Tigers fans who spout this crap. Poor deluded sods thinking they were just a couple of good players away from challenging for a flag. Richmond was one of the lucky clubs who received an early pick inside most of the GC concessions. Reese Conca at pick 6. :D

The Giants young guns were all 21yo-22yo at the end of the 2015 season. Cameron, Greene, Shiel, Treloar and Coniglio were the only ones who had shown any consistency. How does adding one of these guys to another club mean that Hawthorn don't win the 2015 flag?
Pretty simple, sweetheart.

Let's use Richmond as an example.

Richmond was the worst team in the league in 2010. Yes, West Coast tanked for last, but we were the worst. In any other year we would have had picks 2 and 18. Instead we had picks 6 and 30. We would have got Bennell (and been able to handle his 'issues') and Darling.

The next year we would have got something like Dylan Shiel and Devon Smith instead of Brandon Ellis and Todd Elton.

In 2012 we would have got Stringer or Wines instead of Vlastuin.

So, add Darling, Bennell, Shiel, Smith and Wines to the team that regularly bitch-slapped Hawthorn anyway, and won 15 games a year in 2013 and 2015, and you have a team that stood a good chance of wiping the floor with the Squawks in September.

And that's from the worst team coming into the compromised drafts. Now extrapolate that through every other side.

You got lucky. Be grateful for the memories. It's all over now.

I merely corrected you.

It's a bit of a worry that you don't even know that Callan Ward was a round 2 selection in 2007.

Perhaps you should do your homework before correcting others errors??

Not a lie, you just can't even remember when players are drafted by your club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back