Brett Deledio yet to watch the Grand Final - went to the zoo instead

Your thoughts on Brett Deledio

• Feel really sorry for him because his club of 13 years won the GF the year after he left.

Votes: 89 40.5%
  • He deserves this, it was his choice to leave, he didn't have faith in the tigers and should have!

Votes: 87 39.5%
  • He's a sook, he's still on the list of the Giants and they're a huge chance next year.

Votes: 44 20.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The issue for GWS is surely they cannot play Deledio and Griffin in the same side. Watching Deledio move is like watching a fat kid on crutches. Surely Griffin has only one more season in him, his move to GWS has been virtually useless for them. Along with this, GWS have only one ruckman, Lobbe, who is not even AFL standard. Some tough decisions need to be made by the club.

The final chapter isn't written for him though. I hope he's more focussed on what can be at this stage of his career.

agree

I wonder what his new side is thinking with him in the ranks

L
agree

I wonder what his new side is thinking with him in the ranks
Actually in every public statement he's been very loyal to us. I think we would have a more relaxed attitude than most clubs to that sort of thing. What we are makes it necessary as a lot of our players started their career elsewhere, and our reducing list means we've developed players for careers elsewhere.

Not quite the same but I'm not sure a club like the Tigers, or Port would not have been happy having an oppo player celebrating with the players in the room after a finals win. We had Tommy Bugg after the SF and Leon said he was fine with it.

At our 2015 awards one of the presenters for an admin award sent an apology because he was watching his team, the Crows play a final. Again all our staff are from somewhere else and we had to import the skills and experience.

Bottom line not really an issue if he has a moment of regret, as long as he's focussed on beating the Tigers when we play them.

Last edited:
Going around with a bullet. The fact he didn't star after making it back after a two year break at the pointy end last year is not surprising to me.
With off season and a build into the season through the JLT, I'm looking forward to watching him next year, but he'sgotta stay fit.

I just had a horrible thought.

Deledio dominates preseason, and starts the year on fire. Back to AA form.

Then he gets injured before finals and misses out on GWS winning the flag too.

Two years in a row at two different clubs.

I just had a horrible thought.

Deledio dominates preseason, and starts the year on fire. Back to AA form.

Then he gets injured before finals and misses out on GWS winning the flag too.

Two years in a row at two different clubs.
:cool:One very good outcome in that scenario, one very bad. Hopefully not. I do expect him to assume a senior leadership role in our forward line. We used him off half back a bit but I think that was about fitting him in not match hardened and needing game experience with his team mates.

Leon Cameron made 2 mistakes in the Prelim; 1 was playing a clearly shot and unfit Stevie J who played for 40 minutes worth of junk time in the previous game against witches hats, the other was playing Deledio.

Neither player had the hunger or desire for that Prelim.
With the benefit of hindsight StevieJ doesnt play. 6 goals in the SF gave a false impression and he put too much pressureo on his teamates to cover his lack of mobility in defense.
I dont agree about Deledio but clearly it would have been better if he'd made it onto the field earlier in the season. If your saying he didn't want to beat Richmond that's disturbing and his contract should be terminated if true, but I dont believe it is.

Leon Cameron made 2 mistakes in the Prelim; 1 was playing a clearly shot and unfit Stevie J who played for 40 minutes worth of junk time in the previous game against witches hats, the other was playing Deledio.

Neither player had the hunger or desire for that Prelim.
Deledio was a gun at Richmond. Unfortunately now at GWS his body is shot and he is another weak link in a side that has too many weak links to seriously ever challenge for a flag. Brett will regret ever going to GWS, just like Ryan Griffin. Their careers are over and they finish them with a team that are pretenders who cannot produce in games that mean anything.

With the benefit of hindsight StevieJ doesnt play. 6 goals in the SF gave a false impression and he put too much pressureo on his teamates to cover his lack of mobility in defense.
I dont agree about Deledio but clearly it would have been better if he'd made it onto the field earlier in the season. If your saying he didn't want to beat Richmond that's disturbing and his contract should be terminated if true, but I dont believe it is.

Is Tiger supporters were rapt watching Stevie J in that Semi at the time. Him kicking 6 guaranteed his spot the next week and to us it was kind of obvious he wouldn’t stand up to our pressure. Brilliant player, great career but he was cooked even in that semi.

As for Deledio, no idea what was going on in his heart and head but it really couldn’t have been easy. He hadn’t gelled in that side yet and a younger player may have been hungrier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Tiger supporters were rapt watching Stevie J in that Semi at the time. Him kicking 6 guaranteed his spot the next week and to us it was kind of obvious he wouldn’t stand up to our pressure. Brilliant player, great career but he was cooked even in that semi.

As for Deledio, no idea what was going on in his heart and head but it really couldn’t have been easy. He hadn’t gelled in that side yet and a younger player may have been hungrier.
Devon Smith may have fit in better. He knows his teammates better. I dont what goes on plauers heads either.
Even possible that Devon may have mentally checked out, he would have made his decision by then. He has good reason, but we wouldn't want to repeat what happened to the Swans in 2015 when Jetta clearly didn't have his head in the right place.
Matt Kennedy the other option, he would have thrown his body around in the contest all day at least.
I trust the coaches generally, but Stevie J was obvious to everyone.

Last edited:
Going around with a bullet. The fact he didn't star after making it back after a two year break at the pointy end last year is not surprising to me.
With off season and a build into the season through the JLT, I'm looking forward to watching him next year, but he'sgotta stay fit.
that’s the problem with lids, first challenge is to complete a preseason. That hasn’t happened for a few years.

Deledio was a gun at Richmond. Unfortunately now at GWS his body is shot and he is another weak link in a side that has too many weak links to seriously ever challenge for a flag. Brett will regret ever going to GWS, just like Ryan Griffin. Their careers are over and they finish them with a team that are pretenders who cannot produce in games that mean anything.
He played a few games late in the season after a looonng break. You haven't got a clue

The only way lids can win a flag is if he is fully fit at the right time. You can’t carry players through finals anymore. If he was at Richmond this year, we wouldn’t have won the flag. Guys like caddy and Graham who were eventually instrumental would not have been at the club. And even if we did have those guys, lids would have either not been best 22, or been best 22 and we wouldn’t have won the flag. Remember if we lost 1 more game we miss the top 4.
I do hope he does though. He went through heaps at Richmond, and I certainly didn’t begrudge him the move. I mean, I booed him at the prelim, but I booed every oppo player all finals, that s**t was important, but the only reason I wouldn’t want him specifically to win a flag would be if it involves beating us.

Back