Traded Brett Deledio [traded to GWS for Geelong's 2017 1st rd pick and GWS's 2017 3rd round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

The Dogs should do everything in their power to forward their first and/or second round picks this year for established players to make the team better, and Deledio is the man who could win them a flag off half-back. Your under-25 stocks are just that good, surely you can pass the first round just once (to be fair, they did that last year but got two 2nd rounders out of it). In 2009, the Magpies dropped their 1st and 3rd picks on a 29 year old Jolly and used their 2nd round pick in the draft on a 26 year old Luke Ball, and they were the missing links to a flag. Get yourself an established gun that can win you the flag, and I reckon Lids is the man if they can convince he and Richmond to negotiate. No one ever won a flag without risks.
The half back line is not our immediate area of concern.
Our backline is our forte, our forward-line one of the most inefficient in the competition.

Lids would make our side better but not in the part of the ground we need the most improvement in.

Our backline is our forte, our forward-line one of the most inefficient in the competition.

Lids would make our side better but not in the part of the ground we need the most improvement in.
Lids best footy is in the forward line and is a very hard match up, last year he was averaging 20+ possies and a goal a game from half forward. Not many players can do that.

True but Deledio has no currency and the Tigers list needs an upgrade. Hence you need to look at either Martin or Rance.

LOL - we would get a very good young player or 1st rounder for Lids, silly to suggest otherwise.

He's 29 going on 30 at the beginning of next year. He has 2 maybe 3 seasons left. Not many teams will line up for him.
You would have got more if he was RFA.
Agree on that mate. Would have to go to a contender. GWS would be our best bet IMO

Mate if Deledio was available the Dogs would be mental not to go hard at him. Skilled, versatile, explosive players like him are rarely available so a side with designs on a flag needs to gobble them up.

Imagine if Hawthorn had turned their noses up at Burgoyne in '09 because we had too many inside mids (Lewis, Hodge, Mitchell, Sewell, Shiels)?

He's 29 going on 30 at the beginning of next year. He has 2 maybe 3 seasons left. Not many teams will line up for him.
You would have got more if he was RFA.

Serious? You reckon if Richmond went around on Day 1 of trade week with Deledio on the table "not many teams" would bite on that? Every club in the top 8 currently would have an offer on the table for him within the hour.

Serious? You reckon if Richmond went around on Day 1 of trade week with Deledio on the table "not many teams" would bite on that? Every club in the top 8 currently would have an offer on the table for him within the hour.
No at all clubs in the 8 would want him given salary cap would be tight or don't have a pick to trade. Giants or the Crows would seem the best bet.

No at all clubs in the 8 would want him given salary cap would be tight or don't have a pick to trade. Giants or the Crows would seem the best bet.
North and the Eagles would surely make an offer. Hawthorn, Sydney and the Dogs may be too far hard up against the cap I agree but all three would at least try to fit him in.

North and the Eagles would surely make an offer. Hawthorn, Sydney and the Dogs may be too far hard up against the cap I agree but all three would at least try to fit him in.
Yeah but would that offer be attractive enough to persuade Richmond to trade him?

You'd think that it would take a first-rounder, and I'm not sure North or WC would be willing to pay that. From a WC perspective, I'd fall of my chair if we did that.

I still reckon GWS would be the best fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would play Deledio at half forward. He wouldn't be an elite goal-kicking threat but he provides the extra forward-half ball user that we so desperately need.

Yeah but would that offer be attractive enough to persuade Richmond to trade him?

You'd think that it would take a first-rounder, and I'm not sure North or WC would be willing to pay that. From a WC perspective, I'd fall of my chair if we did that.

Sometimes you have to risk it though don't you?

The Eagles were happy to part with a first rounder for 24 yo Jack Redden and he is just a basic midfielder to pile on top of the West Coast mountain of mid-sized battlers. Deledio is a far superior footballer with loads of class who was an AA only last year. I agree that age is often a deciding factor and but really if you think the Eagles are a shot in the next three years what is more valuable? Pick 14 - 18 watered down by a million academy selections or an All Australian utility who is explosive and an elite kick.

In the extremely unlikely situation that Hawthorn could fit him under the cap I would be fine giving up that pick for another crack at a flag.

Sometimes you have to risk it though don't you?
For the right player, sure.

The Eagles were happy to part with a first rounder for 24 yo Jack Redden and he is just a basic midfielder to pile on top of the West Coast mountain of mid-sized battlers.
Yeah, but WC actually needed an inside midfielder. And, as you note, Redden was 24. He was theoretically recruited as a pre-emptive Priddis replacement but hasn't set the world on fire. So I accept the rationale for going after Redden, even if the results are yet to justify it.

Deledio is a far superior footballer with loads of class who was an AA only last year.
Sure, but he'd be 30 and would probably end up on a wing, HBF or a HFF and WC are relatively well-covered when it comes to flankers/wingmen who use the ball well. Deledio may be a cut above those players but the fact WC are OK in that department makes trading a first-rounder for a 30-year-old unjustified, in my view. Another club may see it differently but if WC were to trade out their first-rounder, I'd hope it was for a genuine, engine room midfielder with more than 2-3 years left.

I agree that age is often a deciding factor and but really if you think the Eagles are a shot in the next three years what is more valuable? Pick 14 - 18 watered down by a million academy selections or an All Australian utility who is explosive and an elite kick.
See above.

Last edited:
Sure, but he'd be 30 and would probably end up on a wing, HBF or a HFF and WC are relatively well-covered when it comes to flankers/wingmen who use the ball well. Deledio may be a cut above those players but the fact WC are OK in that department makes trading a first-rounder for a 30-year-old unjustified, in my view. Another club may see it differently but if WC were to trade out their first-rounder, I'd hope it was for a genuine, engine room midfielder with more than 2-3 years left.

Yeah, I think what you say here is fair enough. I differ a little from you though in the ideal way to put a side in the frame for a flag. Trying to cover every single base and only acquiring the perfect positional players over a proven quality footballer is not ideal IMO. In reality even premiership sides often have relative weaknesses in their sides. Geelong and the Eagles had passable big forwards. Sydney won in 2012 with Sam Reid as their no.1 spearhead. Hawthorn won in 2008 with Robbie Campbell and Renouf in the ruck and Gilham and Brown as our KPD for most of the GF.

For me I take more talent whenever I can until you are confident you have enough of it. Right now the Eagles have Kennedy, Naitanui, Gaff, Shuey and possibly Priddis and Darling as your absolute top-shelf. To me Deledio fits very snug in that lot. Even if it is for a couple of years.

Anyway sorry if your thread is going off topic a bit now.

Yeah, I think what you say here is fair enough. I differ a little from you though in the ideal way to put a side in the frame for a flag. Trying to cover every single base and only acquiring the perfect positional players over a proven quality footballer is not ideal IMO.
Surely you address weaknesses before adding to areas where you're already covered when there's a first-rounder on the table and it's a player with only 2-3 years left.

In reality even premiership sides often have relative weaknesses in their sides. Geelong and the Eagles had passable big forwards. Sydney won in 2012 with Sam Reid as their no.1 spearhead. Hawthorn won in 2008 with Robbie Campbell and Renouf in the ruck and Gilham and Brown as our KPD for most of the GF.
Yeah, so if those sides offered up their first-rounders for mature players, you'd expect that player to address an area of weakness.

I can't imagine WC of 2005-06 giving up their first-rounder for a 30-year-old midfielder. A proven key forward? Maybe.

For me I take more talent whenever I can until you are confident you have enough of it. Right now the Eagles have Kennedy, Naitanui, Gaff, Shuey and possibly Priddis and Darling as your absolute top-shelf. To me Deledio fits very snug in that lot. Even if it is for a couple of years.
If a first-rounder is getting traded out, there are more pressing concerns.

Surely you address weaknesses before adding to areas where you're already covered when there's a first-rounder on the table and it's a player with only 2-3 years left.
2-3 years left? I think hes got 2-3 years left of quality football, and could give solid service for another 2 years after that.

What sort of player might be on offer if a pick isnt offered?

2-3 years left? I think hes got 2-3 years left of quality football, and could give solid service for another 2 years after that.
He'll turn 30 in April.

I wouldn't be assuming he'll play to 35 as though that's a given.

What sort of player might be on offer if a pick isnt offered?
Young and unproven, realistically.

Mate if Deledio was available the Dogs would be mental not to go hard at him. Skilled, versatile, explosive players like him are rarely available so a side with designs on a flag needs to gobble them up.

Imagine if Hawthorn had turned their noses up at Burgoyne in '09 because we had too many inside mids (Lewis, Hodge, Mitchell, Sewell, Shiels)?

I think the Shaun Burgoyne situation was different as well, there was a lot of bad blood with him not being made captain even with the coach's endorsement. Id like to think how better our team would look with him in it instead of Butcher or Andrew moore (one of whom we got with pick 9).

The situation with lids is that he's injury prone and at an age where richmond want more than any club would give.

If i was the doggies, crows or even melbourne i would make a play, they are all teams in there prime or about to get there and he can give them the final push. I just doubt a team would give more than a 1st round for him, which is what richmond would want.

Ideal situation is richmond is they trade him out for a pick 10-13 mabey a swap or later picks then they ontrade that to GWS for a few of there young guys.

Reckon GWS would have a nibble at a deal, they have the currency and Deledio in that side would be a weapon brah. Replace Johnson.
Yeah, they're one of the few clubs where there's both the rationale to recruit Deledio and the capacity to offer something that would persuade Richmond to deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back