Traded Brett Deledio [traded to GWS for Geelong's 2017 1st rd pick and GWS's 2017 3rd round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

So many biased fans on the both sides.
Motlop and GHS pick for deledio and Lennon is fair.
(Maybe cats through in second round pick this year or next and get back a 4th round pick)

Last edited:
Seems Geelong supporters have this deluded hope that Richmond will delist Deledio and they will pick him up for free.

Sorry Cats fans, won't happen.

If you want something, you have to give something.

I have to say though, for all those cat fans on this thread that don't rate Deledio, they are pretty persistent in continually posting about him.

What would you say Motlop is worth?
As repeated many times with the contracts that he get on the open market and his age he is worth a end of first rounder as a free agent. Thus geelong would only ever trade for a deal that is better then an end of first rounder whilst contracted. Probably pick 15 is the tipping point before geelong would consider trading. He is like yarren but a better talent, less injury prone and contracted. He will cost more than yarren.

Seems Geelong supporters have this deluded hope that Richmond will delist Deledio and they will pick him up for free.

Sorry Cats fans, won't happen.

If you want something, you have to give something.

I have to say though, for all those cat fans on this thread that don't rate Deledio, they are pretty persistent in continually posting about him.
Don't think Tigers would ever do that. Rumour is that delidio has an out clause in his contract. Only reason why this is probably even a thing.

Bulldogs - gain Motlop and Vardy
Bulldogs - lose Jong Honeychurch Hrovat

Tigers - gain Hrovat Prestia
Tigers - lose Deledio Lennon Vickery compo

Suns - gain Jong Lennon
Suns - lose Prestia

Cats - gain Deledio Honeychurch
Cats - lose Motlop Vardy

Unders for geelong and even worse for gc.

If Richmond and Deledio were to come to an off the record agreement and the Tigers delist him, wouldn't Deledio become a DFA?

In which case the club would receive compo pick (rd1??) and he could name his club of choice. If that club of choice was geelong, do we see:
Richmond get Rd 1 compo. Tick.
Geelong get deledio. Tick.
Deledio gets to club of choice. Tick.

Win. Win. Win.

You dont mean dfa thats delisted which would never happen.

I think you mean he tries to void the last year of his contract to go as a UFA (as dal santo did but that was different) and richmond at a guess would get band 3 compo (pick 25) or something around that.

I doubt it is even possible,if he goes he will be traded but for less than richmond supporters want.

I really don't like the idea of trading out Motlop when his value is lowest. We're likely to get an end of first rounder next year if he goes anyway. To get Deledio I think we're much better off moving up in the draft through fringe players then giving them a pick in the late teens. Something like:

GHS + 35 to Gold Coast for 22 (points wise that values GHS at pick 46-47).
Vardy + 22 to GWS for pick 17 (values Vardy at pick 57).
Pick 17 for Deledio.

Of course exact clubs and picks might change.

I really don't like the idea of trading out Motlop when his value is lowest. We're likely to get an end of first rounder next year if he goes anyway. To get Deledio I think we're much better off moving up in the draft through fringe players then giving them a pick in the late teens. Something like:

GHS + 35 to Gold Coast for 22 (points wise that values GHS at pick 46-47).
Vardy + 22 to GWS for pick 17 (values Vardy at pick 57).
Pick 17 for Deledio.

Of course exact clubs and picks might change.
Nice in theory.
Do you think GC know GHS is a slow plodder? And do GWS know that Vardy averages 4 games a season?

You dont mean dfa thats delisted which would never happen.

I think you mean he tries to void the last year of his contract to go as a UFA (as dal santo did but that was different) and richmond at a guess would get band 3 compo (pick 25) or something around that.

I doubt it is even possible,if he goes he will be traded but for less than richmond supporters want.
I want multiple first round picks. You're not saying we'll get less than that are you?

I want multiple first round picks. You're not saying we'll get less than that are you?

Yes. No one (except gws because they have so many picks and players but they cant afford his $ and i doubt he wants to go there) will give you more than one pick in the 15-20ish range for him.
If more than that is richmond's deal point he will stay at richmond.

The bloke is a gun for sure but even he talked recently about how they have had to modify which days he does and doesnt train to make his leg issues settle down-thats code for they are likely to hang around and he will need to bw managed for the rest of his career and is unlikely to play a full season again and at worst may break down entirely. He probably has 3 years left factoring in that and maybe 50 games. If he was a free agent this year (which he will be next year) would he net more than an end of first round compo pick? No. So factoring in that and his injuries what sensible new club would give up more than that in a trade? None i know of.

Richmond are welcome to keep deledio he is a great of the club and for their sake i hope he stays there,but if he goes and richmond agree to it, it will be for a lot less than richmond supporters want.

Yes. No one (except gws because they have so many picks and players but they cant afford his $ and i doubt he wants to go there) will give you more than one pick in the 15-20ish range for him.
If more than that is richmond's deal point he will stay at richmond.

The bloke is a gun for sure but even he talked recently about how they have had to modify which days he does and doesnt train to make his leg issues settle down-thats code for they are likely to hang around and he will need to bw managed for the rest of his career and is unlikely to play a full season again and at worst may break down entirely. He probably has 3 years left factoring in that and maybe 50 games. If he was a free agent this year (which he will be next year) would he net more than an end of first round compo pick? No. So factoring in that and his injuries what sensible new club would give up more than that in a trade? None i know of.

Richmond are welcome to keep deledio he is a great of the club and for their sake i hope he stays there,but if he goes and richmond agree to it, it will be for a lot less than richmond supporters want.
But I want three first round picks for him. Surely no one will give us less than that. A club can trade out a few of their guns to collect the picks. We'll even take some from next year too if that will help. I'm sure someone somewhere will give us four first round picks. Brisbane could do with someone of his quality, they'll probably even get a priority pick they can throw in. Pick 2+3, their first for next year, and hey I'll even accept 21 even though it's not a first.

But I want three first round picks for him. Surely no one will give us less than that. A club can trade out a few of their guns to collect the picks. We'll even take some from next year too if that will help. I'm sure someone somewhere will give us four first round picks. Brisbane could do with someone of his quality, they'll probably even get a priority pick they can throw in. Pick 2+3, their first for next year, and hey I'll even accept 21 even though it's not a first.

Good jokes there

"Stevo" says he's gone so it must be true! LOL

51wOkRPkVcL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good jokes there
What gave it away? Was just highlighting how silly your suggestion of our supporters not getting what we want was.
What supporters want is irrelevant. Clubs don't make trades to appease them, clubs make trades to put themselves closer to a Grand Final win.
You shouldn't be thinking about what you or I want, you should be thinking about what brings your club success based on the profile of your list. In that respect as a pure comparison, and regardless of those things you said about him, Deledio to Geelong would provide a much bigger benefit than Motlop to Richmond.

And yes Geelong would want him, you guys just don't have the currency without using your first from next year but we both know that wouldn't happen again.

Nice in theory.
Do you think GC know GHS is a slow plodder? And do GWS know that Vardy averages 4 games a season?
We get it every Geelong player bar Dangerwood is s**t and have zero trade value because we played our worst quarter of footy in a PF against a team that consistently beats us for the last few year. Even though those same players that lost the PF beat Hawks, WB and Adel twice this year. How could we ever have enough currency to trade for a washed up Tigers star that has a couple of years left, or be worth the same a players traded for R1's last year but never played a single game this year.

Why didn't we think of getting a 1st rounder for SJ last year, oh that's right because he gave his heart and soul for our club for over 10 years and we let him go with blessing instead of trying to rig every last inch of value out of your players.

Try and remember these are real people and real clubs, it's not some video game.

And yes Geelong would want him, you guys just don't have the currency without using your first from next year but we both know that wouldn't happen again.

You know there is a 2 first rounders in 4 year rule yeah? Geelong doesn't have a r1 this year and can't trade there future R1 for 2017 or 2018, unless they can get back into the first round this year.

We get it every Geelong player bar Dangerwood is s**t and have zero trade value because we played our worst quarter of footy in a PF against a team that consistently beats us for the last few year. Even though those same players that lost the PF beat Hawks, WB and Adel twice this year. How could we ever have enough currency to trade for a washed up Tigers star that has a couple of years left, or be worth the same a players traded for R1's last year but never played a single game this year.

Why didn't we think of getting a 1st rounder for SJ last year, oh that's right because he gave his heart and soul for our club for over 10 years and we let him go with blessing instead of trying to rig every last inch of value out of your players.

Try and remember these are real people and real clubs, it's not some video game.
From the words of your own supporters, your list profile arguably only has a couple of years left. He's the exact type of cream you would want.

So you're saying you don't think GHS is a one paced plodder? And Vardy only averages 4 games a season? Plenty on your board would agree with me.

What's their value then?

The business logic is to maximise Deledio's value now as his age means it reduces every year. But the same logic means you only trade him to get something that will realise his value and fill a longer term need. He is a club champion meaning he's value to Richmond is higher than his statistical value. So it seems while Richmond may hypothetically consider trading Lids it would only be for the right offer.

A club in premiership window that only needs him to perform for the next 2 years might make that kind of offer. But Geelong don't have what it will take to prise Lids out. Motlop does not fill any current need Richmond has (and we have plenty). And he comes with under performing lazy attitude problems. Maybe Geelong can find a third club to get involved. But the point of my post is the price will be steep.

In the meantime:
Deledio publicly states he wants to stay.
The club (Balme) has said he wants to keep our top 5.
No one at Richmond has said he's on the table.

And the media just keep generating their own stories.

You know there is a 2 first rounders in 4 year rule yeah? Geelong doesn't have a r1 this year and can't trade there future R1 for 2017 or 2018, unless they can get back into the first round this year.
That's right, forgot you didn't take a first round pick last year. Good pick up.

From the words of your own supporters, your list profile arguably only has a couple of years left. He's the exact type of cream you would want.

I somehow feel that it's Richmond pushing him out not the other way around. Is he over his injury, do they want to free up cash, who would know not you or I, but something is cooking. Will he help us improve if he stays fit, of course or else we wouldn't be looking at him.

I like yourself feel that Motlop is not a good fit for yourselves, but due to our lack of currency he is what is being "link" as a potential trade.

My predictions and it's based on absolutely zero Intel or even any made up some good source, is if Deledio moves to Geelong it won't be for any first rounders or A trade involving Motlop, what's left, not sure, but don't under estimate the benefit of salary cap space in the day and age of FA

I somehow feel that it's Richmond pushing him out not the other way around. Is he over his injury, do they want to free up cash, who would know not you or I, but something is cooking. Will he help us improve if he stays fit, of course or else we wouldn't be looking at him.

I like yourself feel that Motlop is not a good fit for yourselves, but due to our lack of currency he is what is being "link" as a potential trade.

My predictions and it's based on absolutely zero Intel or even any made up some good source, is if Deledio moves to Geelong it won't be for any first rounders or A trade involving Motlop, what's left, not sure, but don't under estimate the benefit of salary cap space in the day and age of FA
He's not being pushed, he's worth more to us than what we'd get for him as part of a trade and he's still contracted.
Cash isn't an issue, in fact we would likely pay some of his salary if it netted us a decent deal.
Fitness-wise it's hard to judge. We somewhat deliberately stopped playing him when our season was over.

That there are rumours still ongoing suggest one of two things:
1. People have nothing better to do than make up crap, or;
2. A trade involves one of the two clubs still playing this weekend.

Crazy and irresponsible if anyone gives a first round pick for 2 years of football life compared to recruiting a new ten year player.

Deledio is a gun. Really like him. He is just caught in that situation that clubs should not give up a first rounder which is all Tiger fans want. I get the wantz of tiger fans as he is a jet; albeit an injury prone jet in recent times.

The dice is only worth rolling for a second round pick...hence, Tigers should just keep him.

Keep your Deledio...don't let Cats have him for a second rounder!

You pushed SJ out! He wanted to play on Geelong said no! Doesn't leave much wiggle room for a trade!

Lids is a required player and we will only trade him IF we get an offer to good to turn down! Otherwise he will still be a tiger next season!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back