Toast Brett Deledio

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't boo him & I don't feel sorry for him either. Had we kept him, its highly likely we would not have been playing last night. Keeping Lids means we miss out on any of Prestia/Caddy/Nankervis. That would be a huge negative, based on what we have seen with those 3 this season and the fact that Lids looks cooked.

His trading served a real purpose and it will also give us another 1st round pick in the November draft. It will keep on giving for years to come.

Went to the game very anti-booing and embarrassingly got caught up in it the first few times. :$ Honestly thought it was unfair and a poor way to treat a guy who was an excellent servant of the club for over a decade. We didn't need to applaud him like the Geelong crowd did with Ablett Jnr, but he deserved better.

Him not being there has also saved us a sentimental selection headache over this last month too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was never tough enough to play in the guts - that was fair enough, wasn’t his playing style - BUT he’s never been able to play well with a tag, so I don’t buy in to the “his body isn’t right” argument. If his body wasn’t right, shouldn’t be playing.
* mate. Playing in the guts doesn’t make someone tough.

Go look at our three finals with him. Check his stats and come back to me. Bs he can’t play well with a tag.

Was a top 3 player for 10 years in terrible teams. He was the only one targeted half the time. Spare me your bullshit.

I was on Level 3, Southern Stand, and Lids was being been boo'd to death by hundreds around, me included.

Felt sad doing it. He'll always be a welcome Richmond alumni, and at the same time he's a grub for leaving us to the plastics of the AFL. Oh we'll, WE'RE INTO THE BIG DANCE!

EDIT: added Boo'd

Yeah I learned lip reading and that is exactly what he said to himself and cotch ran a hundred miles an hour to be the first to pat him and consul him.

Geez. I just read that in the first page. If that's what he really said, I just had a tear in my eye.

Bloody hell Lids, you're killing me!

Doubt the rumour that he was unliked at the Tigers had any legs given the effort our boys made to get to him after the siren.

There was dribble coming from the forums saying that the young players and VFL players didn't like him

Townsend is (was?) a VFL player, he likes Lids.
Butler was a young VFL player, he likes Lids
Ellis likes Lids, Lids was even his mentor in Brando's early years
Corey Ellis likes Lids
Rioli likes Lids
Does Lennon count? He was hanging out with Lids before we even drafted him.

That's off the top of my head.

Someone even said Lids left because he hated Cotch. Yep, good one, champ!

Easy to forget that Deledio contacted the Geelong recruiters in August last year, after telling Richmond supporters that rumours he was leaving weren't true. if nothing else, he bullshit us.

There were and are rumours that he was a poor teammate, treated young players with contempt and whinged a lot. Oh, and when he left, our entire list improved. is it possible that players like Chaplin, Deledio and Vickery were holding us back with their poor attitude?

i don't boo Deledio, but i don't understand the sympathy for him either. He was a great Tiger and will be again when he retires, but his just another opponent until then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back