Toast Brett Deledio

RobsJourney

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
We'll never know what led to him leaving but * I wish we still had him now, lining up with us in the Grand Final.

Let's just take a proper moment to remember what a champion he was for us:

rioli-deledio.jpg

Cheers for everything Brett, you're a champion :)

Alfar

Senior List
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I never felt like he did anything against us that warranted a booing. He's been a champion of our club in some pretty dark years and I reckon he badly wanted to be back in the yellow and black, playing with his mates and making history. I don't for one second begrudge his move when it looked like he wouldn't taste success at our club before his career had ended.

In the end he got his finals win and a chance for a flag but I would bet that winning a final or two at Richmond would have meant a lot more to him then his win at GWS. To them it was just another finals win but to us it was breaking a 16 year finals win drought. Imagine the credit and glory of being apart of the team that finally brings us another flag after 35 years! They will be remembered for generations. That is what players who leave to join successful clubs are giving up when they bandwagon a flag or two.

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure he did go flag chasing, I think we pushed him with an $850,000 final year on his contract and some doubt as to his ongoing calf issues. We hoped someone else would be able to pay some of his contract and take their chances.

I do believe that we wanted success for him and would have been happy for him to win a premiership as long as it was not at our expense. We were not exactly anticipating a grand final after our 2016 form.

He moved on out of loyalty to the Richmond Football club because he knew we were not keen to pay him the full amount of his final years contract. Every interview he has done in the past 12 months he has always talked us up.

He is a life member and will always be a Tiger at heart.

(tongue in cheek the legend lives on, chalk up another win for Richmond in games where Lids plays ><)

Apr 12, 2015
Nathalia Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United
I'll never forget the moment after the siren the cameras went straight to him and I can see his lips saying What Have I Done.
We all have been there and done that so hard to take and I felt sorry for him but life moves on.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Booed the s**t out of him and here's why,

1. Club first, club always first.
2. He left chasing premiership success. Integrity is sticking with us through thick and thin and he didn't. He requested a trade to Geelong, remember?
3. I still like him and won't ever boo him, during normal season games.
4. He'll never be a Richo, but if Cotch, Rance, Martin, Riewoldt,etc win next week. They'll be.
5. I don't think we could have done it with him IN our team. The part that upsets me is that he looks cooked and he did deserve better. Real tradegy.

GN272

All Australian
Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Jove de Tarragona (Castellers)
Its always tough for guys like this, for him, the club and the fans (to a lesser extent) ....

- he left us based on reasons that are better known to him and the club. (I recall last year he had an injury cloud and maybe the club (who know their player's medical status pretty well) saw the writing on the wall).
- he was a great player and at times he was one who always played well and usually our BOG,
- maybe he should have retired ...
- he left chasing opportunities knowing what he was leaving behind, but maybe he had no other choice if he wanted to pursue the rest of his career.
BUT - his time with the Tigers and his legacy with the club in a small way has contributed to our success this season .... but the old make way for the new and his time was up...

If we didn't play GWS last night - I doubt this would be a talking point ....

Tiger_4_Life

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
He'll get one more chance at it next year and if Leon Cameron can get his s**t into gear they should destroy the competition. Lids should have never played this year, I hope the last 6 weeks hasn't been to his bodies detriment.

I love Lids but he left the club, people say he was pushed, others say he shopped himself around. Im sure it was a mixture of both but he said that he had fallen out of love with the game last year and probably was very frustrated with being at Richmond.

This is a a cautionary tale for all players who leave clubs.

Jun 25, 2011
Perth, WA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Perth
It really pains me to say this because lids provided hope to ya as supporters for so long, but after seeing how he played today, I just think it shows he’s not tough enough to be a finals player.

Think about the 3 finals he played for us - tagged out every time. Rubbed off on the rest of the group because he was our most experienced leader. Think it was right to move him on, seems like we now have more campaigner about us - means we’re now a proper finals team!

rfctiger90

Club Legend
Nov 19, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
It really pains me to say this because lids provided hope to ya as supporters for so long, but after seeing how he played today, I just think it shows he’s not tough enough to be a finals player.

Think about the 3 finals he played for us - tagged out every time. Rubbed off on the rest of the group because he was our most experienced leader. Think it was right to move him on, seems like we now have more campaigner about us - means we’re now a proper finals team!
Mate his body is obviously not right. Has hardly played all year. Played half a year last year. Limped around last week and again yesterday.

He might not be a good player anymore because of injuries but harsh to say he’s not tough enough.

wart101

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 18, 2006
Under the fridge
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Portland FC
I'll never forget the moment after the siren the cameras went straight to him and I can see his lips saying What Have I Done.
We all have been there and done that so hard to take and I felt sorry for him but life moves on.
Were you drunk? I just watched the replay and he said nothing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bobby Sands

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond

Really?

Jun 25, 2011
Perth, WA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Perth
Mate his body is obviously not right. Has hardly played all year. Played half a year last year. Limped around last week and again yesterday.

He might not be a good player anymore because of injuries but harsh to say he’s not tough enough.

Was never tough enough to play in the guts - that was fair enough, wasn’t his playing style - BUT he’s never been able to play well with a tag, so I don’t buy in to the “his body isn’t right” argument. If his body wasn’t right, shouldn’t be playing.

Back