1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Given his 2 year old nephew was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumour the Tuesday of GF week I think he can be excused for not being in the best head space that week.
Maybe I’m just a bit soft though

I saw close up a 71 year old man who had a good life and had attained life understandng and strength deal with a brain tumour.

To see a young boy go through it who is your nephew is just mind boggling to me.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond

"As players, coaches, officials, family, friends and fans all celebrated in the bowels of the MCG, injured veteran Brett Deledio stood on the outskirts of the mob, distraught".

This guy is a sook. Pretends to be happy but needs to be a part of it for it to be genuine. It's lose-lose for Brett when the final siren sounds on Saturday.

Madison

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond

"As players, coaches, officials, family, friends and fans all celebrated in the bowels of the MCG, injured veteran Brett Deledio stood on the outskirts of the mob, distraught".

This guy is a sook. Pretends to be happy but needs to be a part of it for it to be genuine. It's lose-lose for Brett when the final siren sounds on Saturday.

Man you gotta have a little compassion for him surely. I'm sure if it wasn't his last season he wouldn't be taking it so hard.

But c'mon, the guy went through hell with us then leaves and misses the flag then gets injured in the first final and will have to watch on as his new team and old team now play the gf and he's injured and will never get to play in one.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Man you gotta have a little compassion for him surely. I'm sure if it wasn't his last season he wouldn't be taking it so hard.

But c'mon, the guy went through hell with us then leaves and misses the flag then gets injured in the first final and will have to watch on as his new team and old team now play the gf and he's injured and will never get to play in one.
I've acknowledged he has had some tough breaks away from footy. But do you think Jack Graham or Nathan Broad will be distraught in a way like Deledio if they don't get up? Tougher on those guys too as all their VFL teammates might be walking away with a premiership medal today as well. Think about that... four players at Punt Rd might not end up with a medallion this year. Two, Rance and Higgins, have missed huge chunks of the year, but Broad has played 23 senior games and Graham 16. But I think the team first ethos at Richmond sees them celebrate the success and be included in it.

Jun 26, 2007
Newcastle
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Avalanche, Nuggets
I've acknowledged he has had some tough breaks away from footy. But do you think Jack Graham or Nathan Broad will be distraught in a way like Deledio if they don't get up? Tougher on those guys too as all their VFL teammates might be walking away with a premiership medal today as well. Think about that... four players at Punt Rd might not end up with a medallion this year. Two, Rance and Higgins, have missed huge chunks of the year, but Broad has played 23 senior games and Graham 16. But I think the team first ethos at Richmond sees them celebrate the success and be included in it.
Hard to compare, having had a tough few years myself it is so easy to think diferently when things pile up against you. Our players who will miss out haven't been through the trauma Lids has, and even if they did, there's no guarantee they'll react the same.

It's easy to criticise Lids without being in his shoes, give the kid a break.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
His latest acts show how much he thinks of himself only. What a loser and tool of a bloke. If any decent clubman couldn’t get excited for his peers after that great victory he’s then a tosser.
Good riddance Lids and thanks for the future players we got from your trade.
Blokes like Lids and TV were cancers and thanks Balme for palming them off.

No comparison in fact you couldn’t have picked two more polar examples. Those two blokes walked into a premiership team before they knew what hit them.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
No comparison in fact you couldn’t have picked two more polar examples. Those two blokes walked into a premiership team before they knew what hit them.
Firstly, I didn't pick examples, I picked two guys who are a strong chance of not playing in the GF because of injury. One of them dislocated his shoulder and played for three quarters with it taped together, and is still working hard to be available for Saturday. The same comments could've been made about any player who got injured, be it Dusty, Houli, Prestia or lesser lights like Broad and Graham.

They didn't "walk" into a premiership side. They had to earn their spots and then hold those spots. A bit unfair on Broad and Graham there, but regardless part of why they were in that premiership side was no doubt the selfless, team-first attitude they brought with them, something which Deledio has again failed to display at another club as his new team-mates reach the last week of September. Distraught... he should be f**king pumped!

His latest acts show how much he thinks of himself only. What a loser and tool of a bloke. If any decent clubman couldn’t get excited for his peers after that great victory he’s then a tosser.
That's your opinion TI, so you're entitled to it, but I couldn't be the more polar opposite, especially calling him a loser and a tool of a bloke.

Every individual would react differently to the situation Lids has been through. Some will be overtly team first, many will be very insular, and I can absolutely understand that.

Firstly, I didn't pick examples, I picked two guys who are a strong chance of not playing in the GF because of injury. One of them dislocated his shoulder and played for three quarters with it taped together, and is still working hard to be available for Saturday. The same comments could've been made about any player who got injured, be it Dusty, Houli, Prestia or lesser lights like Broad and Graham.

They didn't "walk" into a premiership side. They had to earn their spots and then hold those spots. A bit unfair on Broad and Graham there, but regardless part of why they were in that premiership side was no doubt the selfless, team-first attitude they brought with them, something which Deledio has again failed to display at another club as his new team-mates reach the last week of September. Distraught... he should be f**king pumped!
There are plenty of examples of players missing premierships through injury, who have all been on the sidelines in tears as their teammates excepted their medals. I think it's unfair to expect players to be "pumped" when they've missed a premiership. There's no way they couldn't be feeling just a little sorry for themselves.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
That's your opinion TI, so you're entitled to it, but I couldn't be the more polar opposite, especially calling him a loser and a tool of a bloke.

Every individual would react differently to the situation Lids has been through. Some will be overtly team first, many will be very insular, and I can absolutely understand that.
The clown knew he was out for the season weeks ago so all he could do was inspire lead and motivate his mates on, but not Brett the selfish nob he is.
It’s only about himself and always has been

I just wish people would let go from this bloke and move on as he’s now as important to us as a fly on the wall.
That I agree with. I guess the interview he just did brought it back up again. We all need to move on and worry about Saturday, it's far more important.

Those two are also still young and part of a team that may be competing for premierships for a few years to come still, they’re a very high chance to play in more Grand Finals at this stage of their careers, Lids is not.

Feb 6, 2019
Murfreesboro, TENN
AFL Club
Richmond

Amazing isn't it TI ..... this club turned around the day Balme walked through that door.
Pre-that, I debated strongly about off-loading Foley two or three-years before he was cut loose because he had value and it was doubtful he's ever get to his peak; ditto for Deledio (which is amazing to read the vitriol about him as most didn't want him gone); Vickery had to go two years before he did; and was all for cutting Newman loose at the end of 2013 when he was done and was only going to take up time needed to develop a younger player. We never contemplated most of these scenarios until Balme walked back in the front door. Like stepping from 1977 to 2017 overnight. I remember us striking a trade deal on day one of trade period, like Hampson, paying overs and sitting idle the next two weeks. Balmey was boldly pursuing trade sup to the death. His work with Lids, Nankervis, Prestia, Caddy was pure genius. If he was not there, we'd have been kept busy landing the next Petterd or Hislop.

Back