News Brett Montgomery joins GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Would anyone on here take Josh Francou on as an assistant, he is coming back to adelaide to live. He apparently is a hard ass which I think we need?

Would anyone on here take Josh Francou on as an assistant, he is coming back to adelaide to live. He apparently is a hard ass which I think we need?
I would. The way he is we need in our group, I also feel Josh Carr would be worth it to.

Adelaide (city) would be the least attractive destination for an assistant coach bar none. We’ll take whoever will come here for the next round of churn.

Our midfield was destroyed in the first 15 minutes. Destroyed. Not even competitive. I posted the figures in the review thread. Yes, our inept midfield performance and the way their midfield walked it out of the midfield time and time again in the first quarter was a key reason why we lost.

How many times has our midfield been destroyed by good teams this year? And last year? Same thing happened in the last quarter of the Prelim last year. Midfield thrashed.

So why does he get a free pass?
No doubt but I would lay all that at the feet of the senior coach. The whole team wasn’t mentally up for the fight and the buck for that doesn’t stop with a line coach.

Our stoppage set ups are a long way from my biggest concerns.

I don't think Josh Carr would come back, he clashed with Voss and then left because he knew he didn't have Ken's backing

I don't think Josh Carr would come back, he clashed with Voss and then left because he knew he didn't have Ken's backing
Voss is leaving isn't he? That's the whispers anyway.

Carr may have done his chances to stay in the AFL system in with his covid breaches in WA or whatever that was.

We need some coaches that have actually had experience at successful clubs for a change. Our coaching department is severely lacking when compared to others.

Other clubs have multiple coaches with premiership experience as coaches and years in successful environments. We have none and it shows

Montgomery - at the dogs for their breakthrough with from 7th

Schofield - no AFL coaching experience beforehand

Bassett - No experience in a successful AFL coaching environment

Chad Cornes - No experience in a successful AFL coaching environment

Voss - No experience in a successful AFL coaching environment

Hinkley - Assistant at the Cats for their 07/09 premierships.

Total of 3 premierships as coaches between all our coaching team.

Compared to Demons;
Goodwin - has years under Paul Roos,

Yze - was a coach at the Hawks during their 3 peat,

Mark Williams - Premiership coach and coaches at Richmond during their premierships

And the Bulldogs;
Beveredge - Coach at the hawks during their 3 peat and obviously a premiership coach

King - st Kilda coach during the GF appearances and at Geelong for a couple premierships

Varcoe - multiple premiership player at the Pies and cats

I mean, this is all a bit disingenuous.

Varcoe gets credited as "multiple premiership player at the Pies and cats" because he won two flags at the Cats as a youngster but triple premiership captain Voss gets written off as "No experience in a successful AFL coaching environment".

I think our assistants have a good mix of experience at successful clubs and all bring something different to the table. The problem is above their level.

I just put myself through the first half and a portion of the third qtr of the replay after being at the game. It's just as unpleasant the second time around.
The decision making, fumbles, half efforts, shirking just ruined us of any chance to match their superior on ball players. To have players of that quality we can only dream of. We have players who do tend to get a lot of the ball but last night showed them all up of the level they haven't attained. Some of the quick kicks and handballs to find players in traffic and under pressure, from Bontempelli, Liberatore and McCrae, especially was a few levels above anything you would see from our mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Varcoe gets credited as "multiple premiership player at the Pies and cats" because he won two flags at the Cats as a youngster but triple premiership captain Voss gets written off as "No experience in a successful AFL coaching environment".

I think our assistants have a good mix of experience at successful clubs and all bring something different to the table. The problem is above their level.
Its also full of information that is just plain wrong.

Apparently we need coaches from successful environments, Jarrad Schofield led a massively dominant Subiaco side. He's led in a successfull environment, won multiple flags and lost two to Peel Thunder sides that were stacked with Fremantle players in the way that the SANFL clubs are afraid of.

Hinkley himself was at Geelong during their two flags under Bomber Thompson.

And the other sides...

Simon Goodwin, had years under Roos. Well three. For 4, 7 and 10 wins. He didn't have a single winning season with Roos at Melbourne. And as for Roos himself, 1 flag in 9 years at Sydney.

Mark Williams, here's the biggest misnomer. He was a coach at Richmond from 2013 to 2016. Then he was sacked. He was there when they lost three Elimination Finals in a row. Thats it. No role at the club during their actual success in the last 5 years. He was at the Weribee Tigers in 2018 and 2019, despite sharing a name, they aren't associated with Richmond.

I hope whoever comes in can stir the pot and cause some grief for Old Mate - he lost a lot of credits this week, he’s going to keep his job but the pressure just mounts even more now, he’s on borrowed time and knows it, he won’t get a gifted final like that and we just use time now, in all honesty surely he better replaced now, take the bandaid off.

Its also full of information that is just plain wrong.

Apparently we need coaches from successful environments, Jarrad Schofield led a massively dominant Subiaco side. He's led in a successfull environment, won multiple flags and lost two to Peel Thunder sides that were stacked with Fremantle players in the way that the SANFL clubs are afraid of.

Hinkley himself was at Geelong during their two flags under Bomber Thompson.

And the other sides...

Simon Goodwin, had years under Roos. Well three. For 4, 7 and 10 wins. He didn't have a single winning season with Roos at Melbourne. And as for Roos himself, 1 flag in 9 years at Sydney.

Mark Williams, here's the biggest misnomer. He was a coach at Richmond from 2013 to 2016. Then he was sacked. He was there when they lost three Elimination Finals in a row. Thats it. No role at the club during their actual success in the last 5 years. He was at the Weribee Tigers in 2018 and 2019, despite sharing a name, they aren't associated with Richmond.

Admittedly, the information on Choco was incorrect and I thought he was Still at Richmond over 17/18. Didn’t realise it had already been that many years since he’d moved on.

However, I think the other points remains valid.

On Schofield, yes he has had success as a WAFL coach, however I said he has not had any success as an AFL coach which is true. However that’s not as much an issue as he’s new to the AFL coaching space having only recently come on board but the fact remains, he has not had experience in a successful AFL coaching environment. Yes he may be a good coach and potential for a future head coach, but he should also be surrounded with successful coaches at this level and not just his WAFL record.

Just have too look at Bassett, he was certainly a successful SANFL coach however we’ve all been calling for him to be sacked for years now. Success in the state leagues doesn’t mean success in the AFL.

Varcoe was a lineball mention however at least he has been a part of a successful environment recently. Was a part of the Collingwood team in their GF and Geelong during their years. This is substantially different too Voss who yes was successful as a player but that was also nearly 20 years ago. Again too, it was his coaching record I mentioned which he again has not had any success under at Brisbane before coming too us. Varcoe is obviously new to this space but at least he has some recent success to draw on compared too 15 odd years of very limited success post playing career in the coaching space.

Hinkley I gave him some credits for his time at the Cats during their premierships.

As much as some may not credit Paul Roos with much, he’s still a great mentor for Goodwin too have had and has a great footy mind. Yes it was only 3 years but none of our coaches have been under a mentor like Roos (aside from Hinkley under Bomber). That set the building blocks for what they have now.

Both the Dogs and Melbourne have coaches that have recently been involved in premiership teams and prolonged success at the hawks/tigers etc. or spent years under the guidance of Clarkson, Hardwick and co who are the most successful coaches of the modern era. We don’t have that. Not saying we need a clean sweep of them all (Keep Schofield), however when we compare our coaching experience too that of the other teams, ours lack the success of others.

The successful teams all have much better forward structures, ball movement and clearance work. We should be targeting a coach who has spent time at these clubs too complement our current ones and bring new ideas and too our box.

Instead most of our coaches who have spent time at other clubs, it’s been with either no success or very limited. Eg, Cornes at GWS 2013-15. Bassett 2013-15 Essendon. Montgomery 07-10 Carlton and 10-18 Bulldogs. 1 premiership amongst our assistants at AFL level and only the one GF.

Amongst all our coaches, only 1 has been involved with an AFL team on GF day in the last 12 years. Just think about that....

Last edited:
Was there a rumour at some point this season about a potential Richo return to Port or am I thinking wrong.

Regardless we need a highly regarded tactician if sacking Ken is off the table.
Richo is at the dees and in a GF. Why the hell would he even consider coming back to us?

On Schofield, yes he has had success as a WAFL coach, however I said he has not had any success as an AFL coach which is true. However that’s not as much an issue as he’s new to the AFL coaching space having only recently come on board but the fact remains, he has not had experience in a successful AFL coaching environment. Yes he may be a good coach and potential for a future head coach, but he should also be surrounded with successful coaches at this level and not just his WAFL record.

Here's the kicker though, Jarrad Schofield has run a successful program. He hasn't been "a part of one" he was the bloke who had to pull on the big boy pants and make the calls.

All those assistants that have been at successful clubs, they've just been there looking after thier line jobs while someone else made the big boy calls, and told them what to do.

Just have too look at Bassett, he was certainly a successful SANFL coach however we’ve all been calling for him to be sacked for years now. Success in the state leagues doesn’t mean success in the AFL.
We want Bassett sacked because he's a forwards coach and that really doesn't seem to match up with his skill set. Yes he was successfull at the SANFL, with a team that worked on suffocated defence, low scoring and focussing on preventing the opposition from scoring goals.

Yeah lets put a guy like that in charge of a forward line.

As much as some may not credit Paul Roos with much, he’s still a great mentor for Goodwin too have had and has a great footy mind. Yes it was only 3 years but none of our coaches have been under a mentor like Roos (aside from Hinkley under Bomber). That set the building blocks for what they have now.

I'm not reducing Paul Roos credit for mentoring Goodwin leading to their current position. I'm saying that Paul Roos as some godly coach is vastly overrated. And I'd vastly question what impact Roos is previous position is still happening. Would his influence still have been there for 2018? Probably, but Melbourne have had to pick themselves and put their program back together again, all without Roos being at the club at all.

Here's the kicker though, Jarrad Schofield has run a successful program. He hasn't been "a part of one" he was the bloke who had to pull on the big boy pants and make the calls.

All those assistants that have been at successful clubs, they've just been there looking after thier line jobs while someone else made the big boy calls, and told them what to do

It’s not like I’m advocating for Schofield too be sacked. I’m saying we should also look too add experienced coaches along with him because yes he’s shown positive signs in the WAFL but apart from that, we don’t have any recent success amongst our coaching ranks in the AFL (apart from Montgomery in 16).

Our team isn’t going to magically improve unless we change the coaching and tactics. Our best bet too do that is bring in a coach or two who have been a part of successful teams and experienced finals, GFs and premierships instead of the coaches we have that haven’t experienced that since their playing 15-20 years ago.

Yes other coaches at those successful clubs are just “being told what too do” but they have also been learning under a successful coach and program. I’m sure they would bring a few ideas along with them and influence our program and not simply wait too be told what to do from Ken.

I think we will genuinely, genuinely live to regret letting Schofield walk while Hinkley sticks to the toilet bowl like a skid mark that just won't wash out.

I fully expect us to be sitting here in a few years time with our zero premiership haul and our badly in need of a rebuild list while Schofield is well on the way to becoming a successful premiership coach. Quote me for truth in ten years bitches.

That said I'm frankly totally and completely ******* over everything to do with the Port Adelaide Football Club, a club that once meant so very much to me. Go ahead and self implode you pack of arrogant deluded self-aggrandising s**t stains, since that's all that management and the board seem interested in doing.

Farken we will get what we deserve from all this.

David Hale has joined the Hawthorn coaching panel, might open the door for Jaymie Graham to Port as he was interested in Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back