News Brett Ratten appointed interim St.Kilda head coach

Remove this Banner Ad

He is trying to not put extra pressure on Ratten over the next six weeks incase he doesnt win a game. If he comes out and says Ratts definitely wants the job, then he is on a hiding to nothing if it doesn't go well. Also goes the other way that if Ratten has us win 3-5 games but we find someone else who we think if a better fit, then it doesn't put everyone in that awkward position of saying we chose someone else over him.
Would have been pretty rude to say in the press conference straight after we sacked Richo that Ratten wants his job.

I think this is all cover for Ratten tbh. It would be exceedingly foolish and bizarre to try and judge someone on a sample size of 3 - 5 games; when his presumed competitors for the position aren't actually head coaching AFL games themselves.

He is trying to not put extra pressure on Ratten over the next six weeks incase he doesnt win a game. If he comes out and says Ratts definitely wants the job, then he is on a hiding to nothing if it doesn't go well. Also goes the other way that if Ratten has us win 3-5 games but we find someone else who we think if a better fit, then it doesn't put everyone in that awkward position of saying we chose someone else over him.
Could have easily said Brett has expressed his desire to coach again and we will be conducting interviews with all prospective applicants at the end of the season to make sure we give ourselves the best chance to find the right person for the job
Would't think that would be too hard to say, and why would he be on a hiding to nothing , id say if he doesnt win a game in the next 6 weeks there is no way we should give him the job IMO

Well explain his comments , or is it as i said they are shifting Ratts sideways for Scott
A guy who runs a 6 billion company is under the spell of Lethlean, you seem to be saying.

After all that has been said by Bassett and Finnis on the subject yesterday, you are sticking with this Scott under the table to Saints line.

Could I ask what evidence you have to rebut the categoric denials of yesterday?

A guy who runs a 6 billion company is under the spell of Lethlean, you seem to be saying.

After all that has been said by Bassett and Finnis on the subject yesterday, you are sticking with this Scott under the table to Saints line.

Could I ask what evidence you have to rebut the categoric denials of yesterday?
If you had read above i said i didn't realize that was said at the presser and said fair enough ,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could have easily said Brett has expressed his desire to coach again and we will be conducting interviews with all prospective applicants at the end of the season to make sure we give ourselves the best chance to find the right person for the job
Would't think that would be too hard to say, and why would he be on a hiding to nothing , id say if he doesnt win a game in the next 6 weeks there is no way we should give him the job IMO
It's not Finnis or Bassett's job to come out and announce Brett Ratten wants the job.
If Ratten wants to publicly announce his desire for this specific job, then he can do so at an appropriate time. But yesterday wasn't that time.

I said at the start of the season I thought Ratts was brought in a backup plan if Richo gets let go. At the time Rats was saying he did not want to coach again, but it would seem things have quickly changed. Grant Thomas assumed the position the same way, it makes sense as Rats already knows the playing group and high hierarchy. Very smooth transition.I think the only thing that kept Richo there for so long was he is a good bloke and well respected. Rats make perfect sense and bring home our favourite son in Baggers.

It's not Finnis or Bassett's job to come out and announce Brett Ratten wants the job.
If Ratten wants to publicly announce his desire for this specific job, then he can do so at an appropriate time. But yesterday wasn't that time.
Are you reading the thread or just selective reading as i said above i didn't realize that was said at the presser

W
Yes and as well as your info he has also gone public in saying he is interested in seriously looking at a senior position again.
So I think its fair to say he will take the job if we offer it.

AFL
BRETT RATTEN CONFIRMS COACHING AMBITION, REVEALS CARLTON REGRET

TR081118MW0935.JPG

Brett Ratten has revealed he jumped into the senior coaching position at Carlton without the necessary experience behind him.
Ratten replaced Denis Pagan as caretaker coach in 2007 before taking the reins permanently until he was controversially sacked towards the end of the 2012 season.

Since departing the Blues, Ratten worked under Alastair Clarkson during Hawthorn’s historic premiership three-peat between 2013-2015 and is now plying his trade as an assistant coach at St Kilda.
When asked whether he would make a presentation for a vacant coaching job on SEN’s Crunch Time, he replied: “I’ll have a serious look at it”.

“I’m really enjoying St Kilda and we have a job to do and I’ll focus on that.
“I enjoy coaching; I love working with players and trying to develop people.
“To get thrown into a senior role at a young age, maybe it was a bit too quick, and then to learn from Clarko and now the experience at St Kilda will round me off as a coach.”

Looking forward to going to training tomorrow.

Really hope he gets the job .

Think we really lucked in getting him , just me but thought Sam Mitchell did a smart thing going to
West Coast , but really dumb move going back to the Hawks , played under Clarko but gifted Ratts to us.
so thank you very much.
Agree what Ratten is saying , particularly in the AFL scene , disagree with what Dal Santo is saying we
need Ross Lyon type for me knowing how Ross operated internally from staff I know personally.

If club picks someone else fine , will support their decision reluctantly.

W

Looking forward to going to training tomorrow.

Really hope he gets the job .

Think we really lucked in getting him , just me but thought Sam Mitchell did a smart thing going to
West Coast , but really dumb move going back to the Hawks , played under Clarko but gifted Ratts to us.
so thank you very much.
Agree what Ratten is saying , particularly in the AFL scene , disagree with what Dal Santo is saying we
need Ross Lyon type for me knowing how Ross operated internally from staff I know personally.

If club picks someone else fine , will support their decision reluctantly.
What time is training mate?

God he was giving someone in there daggers looks , not once but he stopped and gave them another serve
He may have spotted a familiar face in the crowd :think:

f09f1f07652e54568b5067bef066a730

'His game sense is phenomenal': Dogs wary of Ratten-led Saints'

"[Ratten] is one of the smartest football people I've come across, he just knows all the little nuances of the game, how to get an advantage … his game sense is phenomenal," Duryea told reporters on Wednesday.

First bit of ex-player feedback about Ratts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back