News Brett Ratten appointed interim St.Kilda head coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes you had a good win, but our clubs are in different phases.
We are building towards a flag in 20/21 whereas you have just replaced the coach
Does that imply train wreck? You’ve come on a saints forum and Commented on our team.
List is better than it has been for a while and building but the coaching needed improvement.
Anything regarding you team’s future is purely speculative. I actually think you are no where near competitive for 20/21.
I think your list is propped up by a few and won’t hold up. I think Clark will stay on but the club will regret it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if we do what Carlton when he iwas interim coach then he has the job if we lose all 6. Still think scott is ahead but they would love bevo.
I would love Bevo just because he is the loosest unit coaching an AFL team, has won a flag, and hates Purple's guts.

Also a huge connection to the club.

All positive attributes.

Can you imagine if he won the Bulldogs then the Saints a flag,?

Would be hailed as the greatest coach of all time

I wish Ratts all the best for the remaining 6 games.

I went early yesterday and of course got the timing etc wrong.

Was in Moorabbin today and dropped into RSEA mid arvo…...a few news vans there for tonights news.

Took my CSI glasses into RSEA.....but couldn't find any blood on the floor!

The team was out training........nothing huge to report.

Paddy was in the centre of the oval watching proceedings......he's easy to pick....always wears a Saints beanie with a huge pom pom on the top.

From a distance Stuv was moving really well.......I thought for a second it was Tom Hanks out there and Castaway 2 was being filmed.

If Stuv starts talking to a soccer ball....then I'll really start getting worried.

It will be extremely interesting to see what happens this coming game and also at the club till seasons end.

A couple of wins and here come the Carltank supporters gobbing off again LOL.

Some things never change.

A few people I know actually feel sorry for them. All I can say is they can't remember how bad it gets when Carlton are winning games. They are the worst by far.

On the exit of Richo, I would like to wish Brett Ratten and the team all the best for the next 6 games and with his application for the job!

Very very rarely do interim coaches get appointed as the Senior Coach so the appointment of Ratten raises two significant questions

Why then did the club appoint Ratten?

Why would a prospective experienced coach accept such a possibly poisoned chalice?

Ratten does not have to prove himself - he's known.

If Ratten was interested in the job, its actually in his interest to have Lade or Playfair or Skrobolak was appointed as interim coach, because irrespective of whether they lose 5 straight or win 5 straight, Ratten's chances remain exactly the same because they are not competitors for the position.

So my money's is on Ratten not actually wanting the position and him continuing as an assistant without the stress he knows exists in the senior role.

Last edited:
I would love Bevo just because he is the loosest unit coaching an AFL team, has won a flag, and hates Purple's guts.

Also a huge connection to the club.

All positive attributes.

Can you imagine if he won the Bulldogs then the Saints a flag,?

Would be hailed as the greatest coach of all time

"Hates purples guts"

Lock him in, whatever it takes ;)

A few people on here bagging Finnis but I’ve watched his presser and thought he did pretty well.

Nevertheless...

k36lc7.jpg

Last edited:
Very very rarely do interim coaches get appointed as the Senior Coach so the appointment of Ratten raises two significant questions

Why then did the club appoint Ratten?

Why would a prospective experienced coach accept such a possibly poisoned chalice?

Ratten does not have to prove himself - he's known.

If Ratten was interested in the job, its actually in his interest to have Lade or Playfair or Skrobolak was appointed as interim coach, because irrespective of whether they lose 5 straight or win 5 straight, Ratten's chances remain exactly the same because they are not competitors for the position.

So my money's is on Ratten not actually wanting the position and him continuing as an assistant without the stress he knows exists in the senior role.

Director of coaching as a senior head, so I see it more as he'll take it if no one else wants it but ultimately doesn't want it by choice.

Also not a poisoned chalice, we're in a better place than previously, most issues are player related ie development, scouting, identification and etc, strides have been made elsewhere to eventually hopefully improve the rest.

Correct decisions thus far though, didn't deserve to see out contract, didn't deserve to be unceremoneously sacked, tried his best, was found lacking for one reason or another, hopefully slightly more changes to come and good luck to all involved.

Director of coaching as a senior head, so I see it more as he'll take it if no one else wants it but ultimately doesn't want it by choice.

Also not a poisoned chalice, we're in a better place than previously, most issues are player related ie development, scouting, identification and etc, strides have been made elsewhere to eventually hopefully improve the rest.

Correct decisions thus far though, didn't deserve to see out contract, didn't deserve to be unceremoneously sacked, tried his best, was found lacking for one reason or another, hopefully slightly more changes to come and good luck to all involved.
The poisoned chalice reference was the position of interim coach.

I think you may be right - Ratten acting as interim coach suggests another role next year - I suspect Sextons days are numbered.

New coach with Ratten as Director of Coaching.

The poisoned chalice reference was the position of interim coach.

I think you may be right - Ratten acting as interim coach suggests another role next year - I suspect Sextons days are numbered.

New coach with Ratten as Director of Coaching.

Not necessarily, it's more it's often the case that interim coach has the same issues as previous coach and in reshuffle of cards ends up same position as they started in since really, you oust 1 bloke, not much will change over the long term and short term you may snag a few by "surprise" more than anything.

Will also be about 12 years too late if Sexton gets the lemon and sars, has generally sucked in every position held since arriving, mr everyman, almost like a friggen janitor picking up the gaps in the admin and oing a bog average job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back