Toast Brett Ratten - New Senior Coach

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
if it was a close choice between the two do you thing Ratten would want the bloke he narrowly beat out sitting in the chair next to him ? i dunno if i would want that to be honest ...
love Harves and feel gutted for him, he is like the friend zoned crush, he wants so much to be with us but we dont see him that way

Why not? They're professionals not 15 year old school boys after the same girl.

It comes down to whether Banger is the best possible choice as Ratts' right hand man. If he's not then he can stay with Collingwood. I'd rather have Lenny back to be honest... no reason I can really articulate.

A few things we won't be seeing again,

View attachment 741225

View attachment 741226

And after today,

View attachment 741227
Rattlemania is peaking 👍🏻

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Can i just say i think it is disgusting that the club from the start penciled in Brad Scott as the coach behind closed doors. Just because you are friends with some one that shouldn't help your case. The process wasn't fair and he shouldn't be the coach. Fans should be outraged! oh wait...

There's should be a few melters be pretty embarrassed with their carry on about Lethers and Scott... but undoubtedly they'll avoid admitting it.

They're now too busy on the trade thread bemoaning all the terrible deals we've done this trade period.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Its been three years since we can finally look forward to a season with renewed optimism..
From the moment Rats to the reigns as caretaker, you could sense the club had been re-invigorated overnight!!
lets temper our expectation a little ... even if Ratts is the master coach we hope he is we still got the little problem of the list to fix ...

Oct 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Surely as a collective we aren’t ‘expecting’ finals next season though?

I still think we are a fair way off and I can’t be bothered with too many next year questioning Ratten if we aren’t in contention.

At some point the rose tinted glasses need to come off and we need to be realistic where we are at. If Bruce, Carlisle and Steven are traded out that will set us back in the short term but I can see it benefiting 2021 and beyond.

Understand that won’t be a popular post but they’re my views.

Why not? They're professionals not 15 year old school boys after the same girl.

It comes down to whether Banger is the best possible choice as Ratts' right hand man. If he's not then he can stay with Collingwood. I'd rather have Lenny back to be honest... no reason I can really articulate.
I would love Lenny back.

Welcome to the Saints family, Brett and co.

A premiership at any other club is nice, but win a premiership at St.Kilda and you will be remembered as a St.Kilda legend forever. Best of luck.

And what a fine appointment it is. Brett has a lot of what recent premiership coaches have - experience under Clarkson.

Brett's also got a lot of what recent premiership coaches DIDN'T have - senior coaching experience.

Complete package for mine. A very smart football person who has developed terrific rapport with our young and talented players. Speaks matter-of-factly and more importantly knows exactly what he wants and what it takes to build a premiership winning list.

Bloody excited for 2020 and the next few years after. We have done well here.

Circus

Wise Veteran
Apr 19, 2012
Smithton
AFL Club
St Kilda
I am quite thrilled with Ratt's appointment. Quite apart from his footy pedigree as a player and in various coaching roles Ratten has another priceless attribute that is critical to being successful at our perennially wayward, erratic and intoxicating club - he has true depth of character!

He has been through the cycle of life's joys and pain and, apparently, remains balanced, clearheaded and warm. He will need all his virtues to successfully coach our club, and our club needs him to have them.

He has to overhaul a list that has a lot of potential, but is thin on A grade game breakers, for a wavering fan base that craves success, but just as importantly for a little while longer at least, needs to have reason to believe, to have hope and for the long held dream to be feasibly within reach. That'll do for another season or two, then we look at that next flag!

Congratulations Ratts and well done St Kilda, I don't think we could have made a better decision!!

I'm wrapt Ratten got the job as he was my preferred option. Hooray.👍
But just on the few people saying " I'm glad Harvey didn't get the job".
Fair enough if you don't think Banger was the best candidate so that's why your glad he missed out. That's understandable.
But the whole " didn't want to ruin a favourite sons reputation " thing is a load of crap.
Harvey is a grown man. He knows the positives and the downfalls of being a coach.
And he wanted to coach us.
If he coached us and failed we would all still love his legacy.
Kevin Bartlett got chewed up and spat out by the Tigers as a coach and the Richmond faithful adore the bloke.

Back