Toast Brett Ratten - The Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's presser and Sunday's game could very well signal the end of the career (if not more) of one of Carlton's most courageous and skillful premiership heroes.

Rather than the "good, bad and indifferent" thread, I'd like to put together a thread solely for the appreciation of Brett. Please only post genuinely positive comments of him here. Please keep anything sinister out of the thread - there are other threads that are geared towards that purpose.

I'll begin.

I was born in 1980 and though I supported the Blues from before the time I could walk the first Carlton teams that I genuinely remember with an understanding of what successful football was all about were the early-to-mid 1990s Carlton teams, chiefly the 1995 premiership team. Carlton had a team of extremely skillful footballers including a few superstars, some genuine hard nuts and some players who while not as talented as their more regarded teammates filled out the depth very nicely. However, there was only one Brett Ratten.

Ratten was the type of player whom I will remember most fondly for always being at the bottom of the pack. To win a club best and fairest in a premiership year is one of those rare achievements in football - it only happens once a year and always happens in a very even team. In my opinion the one award that holds more value than the coaches player award, the player's MVP award and the Brownlow medal is bestowed upon the best and fairest winner of the premiership team. That was Brett Ratten in 1995. Always at the bottom of the pack, always fighting until the bitter end. He fought long and hard as a player and even in defeat as a coach it was a trademark that remained Brett's until the end.

I hope that Brett can find it in him to remain faithful to the Carlton Football Club. I hope that fans can remember him for all that he brought to the club. Premiership hero, three time Robert Reynolds Trophy winner, Carlton Hall of Famer, three time All-Australian, State of Origin representative, the first coach to lead us to the finals after the dark days. Through it all Ratten brought the club respectability.

For all that Brett provided the club I'd like to sincerely say, thank you.

I'll wait until after the announcement, hoping against hope at this point but expect me to say something if it's indeed curtains for the man.

Gave his all for the club, his coach, his team mates and the supporters. Shame that so many of these ungrateful supporters have turned on him.

I will never forget what Brett Ratten gave me. Sure, I was against a couple things he did as coach this year, but at the end of the day he has done far more good than bad and doesn't deserve the sack because of a bunch of pea hearted, lazy players. I wore #7 on my jumper because of him, he was never pea hearted, he was never lazy, he was always at the bottom of the packs winning the hard ball and played a big part in getting us flag #16.

If this old fart they bring in doesn't get us a premiership I'll be calling for heads. And on here, I'll be the first one to call out all the idiots that were happy to see Ratten go.

In fact, if I see one, just one game where they lack intensity and dish up a s**t performance this place will go into meltdown.

I remember Ratts debut year, 1990 I think. I had my doubts about whether he would make it as a player initially, but didn't he prove me wrong.
His total application to getting the best out of himself is what win me over.
I believe he kept getting better as a player each year, just as I believe he was getting better as a coach every year.
I remember hearing the stories about his eyesight being poor and on occasion losing his contact lenses during games. Pretty good, considering he took over from Diesel as the blues chief distributor.
For some reason I always picture Ratts playing with head bandaging a lot. He was our Lenny Hayes.
IMHO the best number 7 along with the Dom that our club has had.
In all sincerity I say this; if in fact he is not coaching us anymore, then I really hope Port look at him. I honestly believe that he can win a flag as coach. I only pray it's not against Carlton.
I can just see it now, in 5 or 6 years he may be back as a successful coach. It's a shame we wouldn't let him have it with us.
Thanks Ratts

He's just always seemed like a True Blue. He loves the club and even as coach he barracks as hard as anyone for his boys.

Not only does he love the club but, although I've never known him in real life, he seems like a real great bloke.

I'll save it for when its over. .. until then I hope the club sees sense and allows the guy to have the second year of this contract and the club gets around him. .. I will say he was a great player and has been a solid coach and developer of players. ..

Thank you for all you have given to the club Brett. You are a true great of the Carlton Football club and hopefully you find it in your heart to still call yourself a True blue despite the treatment of you from the club this past week. You had and still have the full support of true Carlton supporters and from the playing group, and we wish you the best in the future. You are a great coach, if it weren't for Mick being available, I dare say, you would still have your job today. We wish you all the best and hopefully you go on to successfully coach another team.

Thanks for everything Ratts, you did all you could with what you had. The injuries this year have been nothing short of a disaster, but you still only just missed out on another finals berth.
I have no doubt if were not for these injuries we would well & truly in the T4 and you would still be the coach of thsi great club.
The way you conducted yourself through all the s**t you were copping week in week out was a statement to the person you really are. A true gentlemen of the game.
There will be other opportunities for you to coach and I really hope you have all the success you deserve.

Thannks Brett, you will always be a true champion of the game and will be sadly missed.

Unfairly maligned coach IMO.

Has taken us places, especially given he picked up a list still half full of underperformers and half full of never will be's.

Ratten got kicked because the board likes to play games and they prefer to buy things rather then develop them.

Thank you ratts. You are a club champion and the player whose number I wore on my back as a kid. I still believe in you, and hope this is all a beat up, but the knives are out and you got crossed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope im not intruding here guys, but just wanted to say how much a class act Brett Ratten is - and shown this past year has shown how much he loves the club.

Has put up with a lot more scrutiny than most have in the last few years (unlike Ablett where the upside is $)

As player and coach, tough, hard and fair.

Champion.

Absolutely gutted to be losing this bloke from the club. He BLEEDS Carlton and a true sign of his character he is humble and thankful write to the end. I hope we come out and kill Saints this weekend for him. Send a bit of a message to these heavy hitters behind the scenes about what a complete balls up this has been. If the players have any respect they will turn it on this weekend. Thanks Ratts. You are Carlton

You were my first favourite player, Ratts. I think you've been very unfairly treated this week, but hopefully it's your platform that delivers us number 17 and you get recognition for that. That press conference showed that you're all class. Good luck

Brilliantly spoken and handled by Ratts, despite the clubs poor effort. I have an even greater respect for Ratten after today, he should hold his head high.

Thanks for all you've done for the Carlton footy club Ratts you will be sorely missed.

All the best, I'm sure you'll (Ratten) will succeed in whatever challenges you take on next. I personally really appreciate your efforts during your time at our club, and like all jobs sometimes it's time for change and in no way does this reflect on your abilities as a coach, person and legend of this club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back