Coach Brett Ratten

Remove this Banner Ad

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

yeah i'd have put Dunstan's debut season way ahead.

Round 1 rising star nomination.

yeah i'd have put Dunstan's debut season way ahead.

Round 1 rising star nomination.

I guess it’s subjective but Dunstan’s first season was overrated by the fans. I thought Coops was as promising as any Saint I’ve seen for a long time.

Bit of a stretch to say a bloke that played 3.5 games had the best debut season in 20 years.

Most of the players you listed in the post are average (Butler) or good (Ross, Gresham) players, and some are questionably even AFL standard (Wood).

I'm talking about unearthing top, top quality players of which we have very few. Those are the blokes that will really take the club forward and determine the future of this era of the club.

You can keep putting s**t in a pan but it doesn’t make it a recipe. Without a plan and a coaching set up that makes the most of what you have, the better players make you more competitive but won’t move you forward.

Wow lol, to that’s all you’ve got as apologists for the club. Ratts list is as good or better as at least half the top 8. If you’re happy with where we’re at considering, you have the same low standards as the club.

Anyway in 2 years when we still haven’t worked out why we are in the same position you can just shift the goal posts I guess.
Who are you trying to fool? You "aCcEpT mEdIoCrITy" like the rest of us.

All this talk about you not accepting low standards but you probably pump more money into the club than I do LOL. Using this forum as your personal diary doesn't change that.

Bit of a stretch to say a bloke that played 3.5 games had the best debut season in 20 years.

Most of the players you listed in the post are average (Butler) or good (Ross, Gresham) players, and some are questionably even AFL standard (Wood).

I'm talking about unearthing top, top quality players of which we have very few. Those are the blokes that will really take the club forward and determine the future of this era of the club.
We have a decent side. It's not great and it's not shithouse either. We have some pieces to build around. We can challenge the top sides on our day. I've been saying it for years though, it's all mental with this group. Never know which side will turn up and to me that's a result of poor leadership whether that be player led leadership or coaches leadership.

Either way the inconsistency of performance has been an issue for years. You get it with a young side, you get it with a side without many real leaders and you get it with sides that don't know how to win. Since 2016 I think we've been through all those phases at some point.

I'm not going to sit on here all day with sky is falling rhetoric, think it's mind numbing honestly. We do have issues and we've had them for a while. I believe our football department has never been this strong before, though. So I am confident the group we have supporting Ratts can turn it around but above all else we need better players to compliment the genuine A graders we have or have coming through. It's easy to sit and whinge about the coaching all day because that's an easy fix. Rebuilding or improving the list, or even identifying the list is actually the issue is a much harder task that many on here don't want to admit or even consider because to do so would mean a much longer, time consuming investment that many of us aren't up for.

Who are you trying to fool? You "aCcEpT mEdIoCrITy" like the rest of us.

All this talk about you not accepting low standards but you probably pump more money into the club than I do LOL. Using this forum as your personal diary doesn't change that.

Fair point.

We have a decent side. It's not great and it's not shithouse either. We have some pieces to build around. We can challenge the top sides on our day. I've been saying it for years though, it's all mental with this group. Never know which side will turn up and to me that's a result of poor leadership whether that be player led leadership or coaches leadership.

Either way the inconsistency of performance has been an issue for years. You get it with a young side, you get it with a side without many real leaders and you get it with sides that don't know how to win. Since 2016 I think we've been through all those phases at some point.

I'm not going to sit on here all day with sky is falling rhetoric, think it's mind numbing honestly. We do have issues and we've had them for a while. I believe our football department has never been this strong before, though. So I am confident the group we have supporting Ratts can turn it around but above all else we need better players to compliment the genuine A graders we have or have coming through. It's easy to sit and whinge about the coaching all day because that's an easy fix. Rebuilding or improving the list, or even identifying the list is actually the issue is a much harder task that many on here don't want to admit or even consider because to do so would mean a much longer, time consuming investment that many of us aren't up for.

I don't think we're a young side. I think you know I've spent the last 5 years complaining about drafting but this side is good enough to compete. I'm not sold that it's 100% coaching only because leadership is crap too. I think the whole place needs to take this as a kick up the arse. Getting complacent has been a big part of why we have taken so long.

You can spend a lot and not pay the right people. Our footy department hasn't been performing. I'd do a review and make it go through the whole club from playing list to president.

All good to have a red hot crack, but if Clarko decides he doesn't want to go with us then we're rooted. It becomes obvious that we want to move Ratten on and he either stays knowing he's not the first choice (an attitude that would undoubtedly trickle down), or he goes and is replaced by ???. There's not too many coaches available that would be a better option.

Safe doesn't get it done.

You can keep putting s**t in a pan but it doesn’t make it a recipe. Without a plan and a coaching set up that makes the most of what you have, the better players make you more competitive but won’t move you forward.
Yeah exactly.

People act like we can unearth stars as if they are just hiding under the Grandstand at Moorabbin waiting to be discovered.

Our next stars will come if the coaches and club create conditions where they develop as footballers.

They get drafted into the club or traded in. The coaches have a gameplan not based on scrapping and fighting and tackling and instead design training drills geared towards them executing skills on match days and perfecting structures that they can employ at different times in a match depending on the opponent. Then they execute, and get better week on week. Then rinse repeat into next pre-season and season.

There are no short cuts if we want to do it properly. We’ve tried to cut corners for 10 years and haven’t had one home grown all-Australian.

Maybe the appointment of Carroll from Hawthorn will help with all this but I don’t see why we are getting all the Hawks assistants and not the main man in Clarko. It’s clear we admire what they’ve done in footy as a club but my hunch is that, without Clarko driving standards, his assistants and support staff wouldn’t have looked so good. And what we need as a club is someone driving standards.

Our development program and what our head coaches have valued for a decade have turned us into a team of honest workers who will run all day but have shocking skills, decision-making and footy IQ compared to the top teams in the industry.

I'm just confused about how we have this amazing list yet we were calling for the list manger and recruiters to be sacked last week.

I'm not asking for them to be sacked. I'm asking to upgrade. Better is good but the best is the best. I'd rather piss Ratts and the assistants off first but I want the best of all footy department staff.

I accept that we have to stick with Ratts so now need to surround him with some innovative talent who can guide him. He's more a hands off type anyway. Why not let him keep surrounded by people who can really develop great systems and plans and push us forward. Ratts seems a bit stale, getting young hungry guys under him might reenergise him.

I don't think we're a young side. I think you know I've spent the last 5 years complaining about drafting but this side is good enough to compete. I'm not sold that it's 100% coaching only because leadership is crap too. I think the whole place needs to take this as a kick up the arse. Getting complacent has been a big part of why we have taken so long.

You can spend a lot and not pay the right people. Our footy department hasn't been performing. I'd do a review and make it go through the whole club from playing list to president.
I didn't say we were a young side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right, might need to explain it to the pea brains of BigFooty.

Must have a few blades of grass seeped into your brain, little man
The Simpsons Birthday GIF

Time to give the computer a rest young fella and careful getting out the tree

If we finish the year off like the last 6 weeks have been, Ratts has 12 months at best if we are in the same position we are now this time next year he will be gone end off next year
You’re very generous.
I‘d say mid season.

We cannot afford to waste another entire year if nothing looks to have changed.
The supporters will be baying for blood.

Last edited:
Not amazing. Good enough to be around the top 4 in a weak year. Are you satisfied finishing behind Fremantle, Collingwood, Carlton etc?
That’s a good point. Shows how important coaching is. Dogs not great this year but made the GF

Collingwood bottom 2 recently now top 4. Carlton same quality list as us but somehow winning where we’re losing. Freo same deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back