Player Watch Brett Turner - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

I know people are really fixated on comparing this guy to Carmichael, but the reality is we could have taken both if we wanted - I just don't think we particularly rated or wanted Carmichael. That might be correct or it might not be, but if you leave out the Carmichael option, Turner was pretty much a free hit. We had a list spot due to the Sloane injury and we filled it with a mature midfielder in an age range which is a major gap in our list.
The problem with this argument is that we didn't need a mature midfielder. We're not winning a flag this year and it's not like we're crying out for midfielders. We have several stagnating in the SANFL despite playing well.

As you say, Turner was a free hit. We should have gambled that on a young player with improvement left in him, someone like Parnell.

Bet we've been tracking him for years.

I think the biggest problem at the AFC isn't their ability to get information or data on players, it's how this stuff is put together and what data we chose to prioritise in making our decisions.

It's a broken system.

we haven't exactly been great since that binuk guy turned up early in 2018. And he's a tool too, very thin skinned.

I know people are really fixated on comparing this guy to Carmichael, but the reality is we could have taken both if we wanted - I just don't think we particularly rated or wanted Carmichael. That might be correct or it might not be, but if you leave out the Carmichael option, Turner was pretty much a free hit. We had a list spot due to the Sloane injury and we filled it with a mature midfielder in an age range which is a major gap in our list.

I don't know if he will end up playing AFL or not but I don't see it as a particularly big deal either way, unless you think Carmichael is a star we have overlooked for no reason. From watching the SANFL I think Turner looks... okay. No obvious reason he will ever play senior AFL for us but he's got some skills. Taylor would be much closer to selection in a similar role, you'd think.
I don't know what they saw in Carmichael they didn't like. The bloke can play and looks like he will only get better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back