Player Watch Brett Turner - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

So your issue is Adelaide being in the SANFL, not the midseason draft

Fine, I agree an AFL reserves competition would be better for all and hopefully will happen one day
AFL doesn't want to do it and the WA and SA teams don't want to do it either (much easier travel wise playing in the state leagues).

Like Duursma who can’t make an average Port side

Agree McHenry is underwhelming but he’s at least got some chance to play a role out of those 3

Talking small forwards ; should have delisted knight then made Pickett or weightman a priority

Rachele finally one we got right
Which simply demonstrates .....judging players on "boom" starts, or "slow" starts to their career, is not advisable .....not unless there are obvious deficiencies in a players skill-set

I remember this board being green with envy over Duursma & SPP .....and I still don't see Rozee & Butters, as the 2nd coming

But we as supporters are prone to snap judgements .....game by game ....the coach's take a longer developmental perspective

It's interesting with Duursma ....once you prick that "confidence" bubble, a player can actually be decidedly ordinary .....player confidence is huge

I don't think he reads big footy but I'm just saying I understand the frustration.

I'm happy for Brett (which I would hope everyone is)

(What's that saying, I'm not angry, just disappointed! 🤣)
Is the main reason for the disappointment with Turner, the 3 year age difference between him & Carmichael ? .....must admit, it was also my first thought

Would we have reacted differently, if Turner were 22 YO ?

Interestingly, Port also overlooked Carmichael

Is the main reason for the disappointment with Turner, the 3 year age difference between him & Carmichael ? .....must admit, it was also my first thought

Would we have reacted differently, if Turner were 22 YO ?

Interestingly, Port also overlooked Carmichael
Port were clearly only in the mid season draft to grab a mature ruck in case Hayes goes down

You’d think so but they went and got Sinn

They will be an interesting watch come draft / FA time
Boak close to end ...SPP their Berry ....Drew, hasn't quite kicked in

Sinn will be very good, he's more the run & carry ....so who's the upcoming extractor ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve thought about the kind of player that he could potentially be if he comes on for us - it’s not a high ceiling, but realistic I feel

Great pressure player, can kick a goal when needed, bigger body - maybe a Nick Holman type?

Which simply demonstrates .....judging players on "boom" starts, or "slow" starts to their career, is not advisable .....not unless there are obvious deficiencies in a players skill-set

I remember this board being green with envy over Duursma & SPP .....and I still don't see Rozee & Butters, as the 2nd coming

But we as supporters are prone to snap judgements .....game by game ....the coach's take a longer developmental perspective

It's interesting with Duursma ....once you prick that "confidence" bubble, a player can actually be decidedly ordinary .....player confidence is huge
I know it’s the done thing to downplay the successes of our rivals, but despite their draftees from the last few years not kicking on quite as much as they would have hoped, they are still head and shoulders above ours.

While you could argue Duursma is no better or worse than Jones or McHenry (this is still debatable), surely there isn’t anyone on this board who wouldn’t leap at the chance to trade our two 2018 draftees for Butters and Rozee. Those two are capable of being genuine match winners - and actually have been. And SPP walks into our side and makes us a better team… and is certainly better than Gallucci, who we chose ahead of him.

But I do agree that we are too quick to judge our young guys… perhaps they’re all guns and we end up winning a flag in a few years… it’s hard to imagine really but it could happen… and here’s hoping that Turner plays a role.

Before you have a mid-season draft you need to implement a mid-season trade period. Disrupt your own competition first before screwing other comps.
Yep.. they definitely should have a mid season trade period.. and one where players that are destined to be delisted at years end can be delisted earlier at the mid season point instead (for example someone like Davis or himmelberg for the crows).. every club would have 1 or 2 of these “destined to be delists” on their list.

that way the sanfl/wafl/vfl clubs that lose a player or two in the MSD can look to encourage the delisted players from the AFL clubs to come and join their clubs..

at the moment its the AFL taking from the lower leagues and not giving anything back..

Yep.. they definitely should have a mid season trade period.. and one where players that are destined to be delisted at years end can be delisted earlier at the mid season point instead (for example someone like Davis or himmelberg for the crows).. every club would have 1 or 2 of these “destined to be delists” on their list.

that way the sanfl/wafl/vfl clubs that lose a player or two in the MSD can look to encourage the delisted players from the AFL clubs to come and join their clubs..

at the moment its the AFL taking from the lower leagues and not giving anything back..
While it's not a bad idea, I think we can confidently file it under "things the AFLPA will never agree to", along with trading contracted players without their consent.

While it's not a bad idea, I think we can confidently file it under "things the AFLPA will never agree to", along with trading contracted players without their consent.
yeah, you’re probably right.. but if the player has the remaining few months of his contract paid out I’m not sure how the AFLPA could justify their opposition to it for very long

What happened with Turner this week in the SANFL?

10 possessions, 2 tackles and 1 clearance…what’s that all about? Was he injured or playing mostly up forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back