Brexit - The UK referendum on leaving the EU - Reneging, reshmeging!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
Please re-read my post.

I said things were rock-bottom from their perspective.

I also said that things can always get worse even without EU membership.

Ah my bad, i apologise. Things have already gotten worse since the polls though. The pound is approach parity with the Euro, which is actually one of the weaker currencies against the emerging market ones. Growth has fallen. house prices have fallen, factory orders have fallen, manufacturing has slowed down

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Leaked UK papers say hard border likely in event of no deal - report

Britain will face shortages of fuel, food and medicine if it leaves the European Union without a transition deal, jamming ports and requiring a hard border on the island of Ireland, according to official government documents leaked to the Sunday Times.

The Times said the forecasts compiled by the Cabinet Office set out the most likely aftershocks of a no-deal Brexit rather than the worst-case scenarios.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson's office said it did not comment on leaked documents.

The newspaper said up to 85% of lorries using the main channel crossings "may not be ready" for French customs, meaning disruption at ports would potentially last up to three months before the flow of traffic improves.

The government also believes a hard border in Ireland will be likely as current plans to avoid widespread checks will prove unsustainable, the Times said.

"Compiled this month by the Cabinet Office under the codename Operation Yellowhammer, the dossier offers a rare glimpse into the covert planning being carried out by the government to avert a catastrophic collapse in the nation's infrastructure," the Times reported.

"The file, marked "official-sensitive" — requiring security clearance on a "need to know" basis — is remarkable because it gives the most comprehensive assessment of the UK's readiness for a no-deal Brexit."

Jun 18, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Leaked UK papers say hard border likely in event of no deal - report

Nah, I'm going to go with med's opinion instead of these leaked official documents on this one...

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
ypfj356is8h31.jpg

donkeypunchd

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Crazy proposal being mooted by Johnson - their latest ‘alternative arrangment’ is for Ireland to agree a bi-lateral deal which would see Ireland ‘diverge from the EU temporarily so it could remain aligned with the UK’. Further to this, the UK cabinet wants the EU to make this proposal on the UK’s behalf as they believe it would be more palatable to Ireland coming from Brussels.

If true, this is absolutely staggering. I find it hard to believe that they could seriously believe Ireland would consider leaving the EU common market to facilitate Brexit. Smacks to me of an attempt to bring the hardline Brexiteers vote onside for the Tories in a snap election; putting the Irish in their place will go down well with that particular cohort. Shower of b@stards

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
Britain. Great people ruled by inbred fukwits

No longer, i am a dual, EU/Aussie citizen and EU passports are frowned upon these days. I was in London a couple of months ago and i presented my EU passport somewhere for registration and immediately i was told (in a rude manner) to go elsewhere, in stuff that i am entitled to. Other people have reported the same as well. If you are EU and in the UK, your status is worse than a South Asian migrant these days. I really hope Disunited Kingdom crash and burn.

Merkel with the smackdown of BJ's unpalatable plan.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has challenged Britain to come up with alternatives to the Irish border backstop within 30 days, after the UK made repeated calls to ditch the backstop from any Brexit deal during a state visit to Berlin.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who is in Europe this week to attempt to broker a new Brexit deal before the October 31 deadline, said the UK "wanted a deal" but could not accept the current solution for the thorny issue of the Irish border.

"We cannot accept the current withdrawal agreement arrangements that either divide the UK or lock us into the regulatory trading arrangements of the EU … without the UK having any say on those matters," he said at a joint press conference.

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
No longer, i am a dual, EU/Aussie citizen and EU passports are frowned upon these days. I was in London a couple of months ago and i presented my EU passport somewhere for registration and immediately i was told (in a rude manner) to go elsewhere, in stuff that i am entitled to. Other people have reported the same as well. If you are EU and in the UK, your status is worse than a South Asian migrant these days. I really hope Disunited Kingdom crash and burn.

F*ck, so they're gonna sneer at EU passports are they?

irish-passports.jpg

They might as well dust off the 'No Blacks or Irish!' signs and put them back up while they're at it. Not to worry. When there's food shortages and riots breaking out all over Remnant U.K after Ireland and Scotland leave we can help them out. With heaps and heaps of potatoes.

Hope they're not too blighted for ya, Old Blighty!

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal

irish-passports.jpg

They might as well dust off the 'No Blacks or Irish!' signs and put them back up while they're at it. Not to worry. When there's food shortages and riots breaking out all over Remnant U.K after Ireland and Scotland leave we can help them out. With heaps and heaps of potatoes.

Eastern European pupils in schools in England and Scotland have experienced increased levels of racism and xenophobia since the Brexit vote, with some accusing their teachers of failing to protect them and even joining in, research claims.

The study, led by the University of Strathclyde, found that 77% of pupils surveyed said they had suffered racism, xenophobia or bullying, though such approaches were often disguised as banter. Of the pupils, 49% said the attacks had become more frequent since the EU referendum in 2016.

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
Just putting the lies out there for everyone to see. So freedom of movement set to end on 31st of October.. cool.

Nek Minit..

Freedom of movement by European Union nationals into the UK will end overnight from October 31 in the event of a no deal Brexit, Priti Patel has signalled.
Theresa May's government had wanted to crack down on freedom of movement as soon as possible after the UK left once new legislation had passed through Parliament.
This would have meant a new Immigration and Social Security Co-Ordination Bill would have had to be on the Statute Book before the curbs could be implemented.
However, with time running out before the UK's expected exit from the EU, the new Home Secretary has made clear that she wants the tough new approach to apply at the UK's borders as soon as Britain has left the EU.

The government also believes a hard border in Ireland will be likely as current plans to avoid widespread checks will prove unsustainable, the Times said.

Ah, but our resident Brexiter specializing in a certain kind of snake oil is telling is otherwise?
Like I have previously said it will be a hard border no deal brexit.

I make no judgement on the positive or negative of this (face value seems dumb af but it is the only way I see them leaving)

Why do the lib dems hate Corbyn more than they hate Brexit? Their leader spends more time crapping on about Corbyn than she does about anything else. Isnt stopping brexit their whole platform?
They showed their true colours when they sided with Cameron and helped enable this whole debacle.

Crazy proposal being mooted by Johnson - their latest ‘alternative arrangment’ is for Ireland to agree a bi-lateral deal which would see Ireland ‘diverge from the EU temporarily so it could remain aligned with the UK’. Further to this, the UK cabinet wants the EU to make this proposal on the UK’s behalf as they believe it would be more palatable to Ireland coming from Brussels.

If true, this is absolutely staggering. I find it hard to believe that they could seriously believe Ireland would consider leaving the EU common market to facilitate Brexit. Smacks to me of an attempt to bring the hardline Brexiteers vote onside for the Tories in a snap election; putting the Irish in their place will go down well with that particular cohort. Shower of b@stards

Shower of stupid. What gain would Ireland get by doing this favour to the UK?

irish-passports.jpg

I remember when the purple passports where phased in, if you read the Daily Mail you could be forgiven for thinking the world had ended.

Aug 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
They showed their true colours when they sided with Cameron and helped enable this whole debacle.
Their leader is the embodiment of the woke centrist. They love looking at 'reality', they know how to stop brexit (side with labour and get Johnson out of there), but they also know that without brexit they dont exist because they are utterly devoid of any other ideas just like every centrist youve ever talked to.

donkeypunchd

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Missed in the headlines today is the opinion of the man responsible for policing the British side of the border, PSNI Chief Constable Simon Byrne

The Chief Constable was speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme in what were a number of radio interviews on Thursday. He also spoke to RTÉ radio’s Today with Miriam O’Callaghan show and BBC Radio Ulster.
“We couldn’t police the border 20 years ago with military support and I can’t see how we can do it now particularly with a reduced head count of officers,” he told RTÉ.

The context for this interview is the recent Continuity IRA bomb attack in the vicinity of the border which was targeted at police.

Medusala is clueless about most things. Almost everything that he predicted will happen, didn't happen, infact the opposite happened. I wouldn't worry about him too much.

Germany and France didn't sell out Dublin this week either?

Even after Boris who only has an Arts degree but it is OK because it is about classical Greek history to it is a USEFUL Arts degree in the THE CITY went to see Merkel and Macron personally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back