UK Brexit - The UK referendum on leaving the EU - Pt 2: Johnson's Folly

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, and look at where Ireland is.

During the debate over the Irish backstop, I remember hearing one caller on James O'Brien propose that Ireland have a referendum on leaving the EU too, probably imagining that Irish people would hate the EU just as much and want to leave also, thereby solving the border issue. But the Irish don't suffer from the same delusions of grandeur as the English, they know full well that EU membership is a big factor in their prosperity, and even more so now that Dublin seems to be replacing London as the main English-speaking entry point to the single market for multinationals.

Oh, and look at where Ireland is.

During the debate over the Irish backstop, I remember hearing one caller on James O'Brien propose that Ireland have a referendum on leaving the EU too, probably imagining that Irish people would hate the EU just as much and want to leave also, thereby solving the border issue. But the Irish don't suffer from the same delusions of grandeur as the English, they know full well that EU membership is a big factor in their prosperity, and even more so now that Dublin seems to be replacing London as the main English-speaking entry point to the single market for multinationals.
If it were practical, I'd seriously consider leaving England for Ireland. A part of me wants Scotland to become independent, so I can move there, and escape the crap of the Tories.

If it were practical, I'd seriously consider leaving England for Ireland. A part of me wants Scotland to become independent, so I can move there, and escape the crap of the Tories.
They should, honestly. There was a time in life where I wanted to move to England due to my enjoyment of their cultural exports and the natural beauty of the land, but I've since realised the society is sick, and the majority of the people are delusional and selfish. And someone like Starmer who tries very hard not to offend anybody isn't going to fix that. So now I'd rather move to Ireland or an independent Scotland.

They should, honestly. There was a time in life where I wanted to move to England due to my enjoyment of their cultural exports and the natural beauty of the land, but I've since realised the society is sick, and the majority of the people are delusional and selfish. And someone like Starmer who tries very hard not to offend anybody isn't going to fix that. So now I'd rather move to Ireland or an independent Scotland.

I’m waiting for property to get dirt cheap. Could spend melbourne winters there now climate change has improved the summers (not much greenery to be found though)

And yet, there are still people out there who think Brexit was a good idea.
There is only 1 type of person who still thinks its a good idea.

They usually have issue with 'immigrant's' and a complete lack of understanding of everything else.

So now I'd rather move to Ireland or an independent Scotland.
Genuinely didn't think in my lifetime I'd see what we are seeing in Northern Ireland.

Scotland is going to be interesting to watch. You wonder how much the last vote had to do with staying in the UK v staying in the EU.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's interesting to see all these polls showing Labour having huge leads over the Tories are based largely on seats that voted traditionally for labour, then for Tory in 2015 after being promised a brexit referendum, brexit in 2016, Tory in 2019, and now going back to Labour. This has been a complete waste of time. All this to avoid a Labour government led by Ed Miliband.

I feel increasingly fortunate Australia managed to escape the worst of what Trump, Johnson, Murdoch have wrought on the US, UK despite the Libs doing their best to impose that sort of politics here.

I feel increasingly fortunate Australia managed to escape the worst of what Trump, Johnson, Murdoch have wrought on the US, UK despite the Libs doing their best to impose that sort of politics here.
Agreed. Thank funk that over a century ago our forebears put in place preferential voting, compulsory voting, and an impartial AEC.

Agreed. Thank funk that over a century ago our forebears put in place preferential voting, compulsory voting, and an impartial AEC.
The folly in the UK and US shows many disturbing things. Like how ignorant the average person is, being so easily influenced (brainwashed) by Murdoch slogans ahead of facts. And how said ignorant persons double down when confronted with the reality of their choices. In the UK, those believing Brexit was the best choice are now only just in the minority which is frankly astounding given the state of the UK.

Genuinely didn't think in my lifetime I'd see what we are seeing in Northern Ireland.

Scotland is going to be interesting to watch. You wonder how much the last vote had to do with staying in the UK v staying in the EU.
It is a delicious irony that Brexit could ultimately see Scotland and a united Ireland leaving the UK for the greener pastures of the EU. It is not an impossible scenario and one that would confirm the 'law of unintended consequences'.

It is a delicious irony that Brexit could ultimately see Scotland and a united Ireland leaving the UK for the greener pastures of the EU. It is not an impossible scenario and one that would confirm the 'law of unintended consequences'.
The hilarious part is watching people who support Brexit, deny Scotland their own vote.

It would be hilarious to see.

Going to happen next year it seems.

My tip? England votes to leave, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland vote to stay.

But overall Britain votes to leave.

Then all hell breaks loose.

That MaddAdam is a good judge of international affairs.

As I said elsewhere in these Brexit threads, England's return to its original pre imperial state as a violent and divided polity perpetually interfering in the affairs of its neighbours and meddling in Europe.

Henry Tudor would love the drip feed of arms to a client regime in Kyiv and political meddling with Scotland via the GRA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back