Opinion Brian Cook - Carlton's rebuild still has a fair way to go

Which club is more likely to win another flag first?

• Total voters
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
We’re still only a decade into the free agency era. I don’t there’s enough empirical data to create a general trend on overall list composition, other than hitting the draft hard in the early stages of a rebuild has been a common theme in a number of contending teams - which we’ve done.

Most successful sides (Eg Hawthorn, Richmond) still had a fair portion of their squad traded in, we’re only debating what amounts to and what is likely to amount to a higher percentage of recruits from other clubs.

That being said guys like Newman, Pittonet, Newnes, Kennedy, Setterfield and Fogarty are probably less likely to be in our best 22 when the squad is at its peak. You an include them in our team for now, because they’re currently best 22 players, but when the club would be expecting to challenge I can’t imagine many being included. That could very well be the same for someone like Plowman, and McGovern is obviously been disappointing to this point of time and 50/50 to make it either forward or back.

IMO a lot of spots in our best 22 are going to be taken up by guys we’ve brought in from 2018 onwards via the draft. Walsh, Stocker, Kemp, Philp, Honey, Durdin, Carroll.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
That being said guys like Newman, Pittonet, Newnes, Kennedy, Setterfield and Fogarty are probably less likely to be in our best 22 when the squad is at its peak.

That being said guys like Newman, Pittonet, Newnes, Kennedy, Setterfield and Fogarty are probably less likely to be on our playing list in 2023 or 2024.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
The best football marketing campaign in AFL history. Over a decade later and you still remember it.

If only the players performed as well as the marketing department that year.
Disagree.
The marketing team produced a campaign that their product had no chance of living up to.

The reasons why it is memorable is that they used stole and reworded a lame saying which was cringeworthy when it appeared at the Blues.

And the obvious inability for the product to even remotely stand up to the arrogant claim even a decade after it was produced.

As far as memorability goes, yes I agree with you. But if I was looking after the marketing at the blues at that time and developed that, I’d be embarrassed. Cringeworthy at the time and still used today as reference to an underperforming club.

But it may have met KPIs that we don’t talk about here which is the true intent of comms campaigns.

Perhaps it met the KPIs of building excitement amongst supporters and bringing in new members? Perhaps it increased sponsorship $$$ over that time as it persuaded businesses that the Blues were finally going somewhere and the time to partner with them was now.

Both of these metrics pushed upward after the campaign, but I think the last four years with other campaigns and initiatives in market the upward trend has been more significant, so I’m not sure we can attribute a lot of the success to the growth in membership and sponsorship to the ‘Cooking’ campaign.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
That being said guys like Newman, Pittonet, Newnes, Kennedy, Setterfield and Fogarty are probably less likely to be on our playing list in 2023 or 2024.

Same-same.

Point being we are unlikely to see them in the best 22 if/when we are contending and therefore including them as part of a general list of players we’ve traded in might be reasonable it’s a bit misleading.

But yeh clubs are all too ready to turf guys who just scrape into the best 30 or so once they’ve been an a list long enough to assess to their prospects going forward, and no club wants to cough up 300k pa for these type of players either. The easiest decision is to just move on.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Disagree with you re Kennedy and Setterfield. They’ll be suited to more contested game style likely to be implemented.

Jul 15, 2012
East Coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Brian Cook has recently admitted Carlton's rebuild still has "a fair way to go" in his words.

Many people are optimistic about Carlton's on field prospects in 2022, sharing a belief that the Blues have built a solid list, which was underperforming under David Teague, and that Michael Voss has what it takes to get the best out of Carlton's list, by instilling hard edge and mongrel into the players which was lacking under David Teague.

However, Brian Cook's comments indicate he's not one who shares the belief that the list is ready and a case of underperforming under the previous coach, instead acknowledging there's still a lot of work to do before Carlton's rebuild is complete. Voss may get the best out of the list and instill mongrel, but Cook knows that Carlton's list still needs a lot of work.

Cook is up there with Peter Jackson and Brendon Gale when it comes to the best CEO's in the AFL, with Cook's previous track record at both West Coast and Geelong giving every reason for fans to be optimistic about Cook being the man to turn Carlton around, in the same manner in which Jackson turned Melbourne around, and in which Gale turned Richmond around.

It'll be interesting to see whether or not Cook is the man to lead Carlton out of the wilderness, and whether or not we'll see another historically successful powerhouse club return from the wilderness, given we've recently witnessed other historically successful powerhouse clubs in Richmond and Melbourne both return from the wilderness.

Do people believe Cook is the man to lead Carlton out of the wilderness, and given Carlton and Essendon are the two historically successful powerhouse clubs still in the wilderness, are Carlton more or less likely to see a return to on field success before Essendon do?
In other words they're not very good

Power Play

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
There is a lot of "historically successful powerhouse wilderness" going around, eh?

Well, when you consider the fact Carlton and Essendon are the two most successful clubs in the league, and the fact they've both spent two decades in the wilderness, it's no wonder there's a lot of historically successful powerhouse wilderness, in which Carlton and Essendon both find themselves in.

Believe me when I say this, anyone who thinks us Richmond supporters were unbearable after 2017, 2019 and 2020, has seen nothing, because I can assure you, when Carlton and Essendon both taste premiership success again, the arrogance and gloating is going to be at 10× worse than anything you have seen from us Richmond supporters.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Well, when you consider the fact Carlton and Essendon are the two most successful clubs in the league, and the fact they've both spent two decades in the wilderness, it's no wonder there's a lot of historically successful powerhouse wilderness, in which Carlton and Essendon both find themselves in.

Believe me when I say this, anyone who thinks us Richmond supporters were unbearable after 2017, 2019 and 2020, has seen nothing, because I can assure you, when Carlton and Essendon both taste premiership success again, the arrogance and gloating is going to be at 10× worse than anything you have seen from us Richmond supporters.

Fortunately in Carlton’s case we won’t live to see them successful again, but I can confirm, least bearable supporter group on the planet when they lucked and cheated their way into a few flags. A Collingwood multi-flag team would make you want to move to another planet to get away from their supporter group too. Fortunately, also not happening.

CharacterFirst

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2011
A wilful, lavish land.
AFL Club
Geelong

I'm old enough to remember. ;)

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Fortunately in Carlton’s case we won’t live to see them successful again, but I can confirm, least bearable supporter group on the planet when they lucked and cheated their way into a few flags. A Collingwood multi-flag team would make you want to move to another planet to get away from their supporter group too. Fortunately, also not happening.
We haven't had any flags taken off us mate, so saying we cheated is a bit of schoolboy stuff by you. Oh wait maybe we cheated by kicking 28 goals in the 1972 GF.

Don’t feed this troll.

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah Richmond supporters have been a picture of humility the past 4 years. :rolleyes:

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
We haven't had any flags taken off us mate, so saying we cheated is a bit of schoolboy stuff by you. Oh wait maybe we cheated by kicking 28 goals in the 1972 GF.

As far as I know Rob you won that one fair and square, though I note you did win it with 3 less scoring shots than the Tigers, it’s always good to get a bit of luck with accuracy.

Odd thing about 1972 was it was one of an unbroken run 14 finals series from 1921 to 2001 where:

a) Richmond and Carlton met in at least one final, and

b) Richmond scored more against Carlton during the finals series than Carlton did against Richmond in the finals series.

What do you make of that?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
As far as I know Rob you won that one fair and square, though I note you did win it with 3 less scoring shots than the Tigers, it’s always good to get a bit of luck with accuracy.

Odd thing about 1972 was it was one of and unbroken run 14 finals series from 1921 to 2001 where:

a) Richmond and Carlton met in at least one final, and

b) Richmond scored more against Carlton during the finals series than Carlton did against Richmond in the finals series.

What do you make of that?
We still won the 1972 GF.

Yeah Richmond supporters have been a picture of humility the past 4 years. :rolleyes:

By and large the Tiger fans have been pretty reasonable all things considered.

That's the problem about getting old Horrie, the memory goes first.

lol. I really thought they would have been unbearable given the crap they copped for being a joke for decades. Have been pleasantly surprised.

Admit to a little bias as I won 14 bottles of whisky from Pie mates in the GF 4 decades ago when the Tiges humiliated them. I even cheered Hungry Bartlett at the G that day. My favourite ex Ms H is a feral Tiger fan and their period of dominance has calmed her down a bit.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Disagree with you re Kennedy and Setterfield. They’ll be suited to more contested game style likely to be implemented.

1638055782594.png

Back