News Brian Cook extends contract by two years

Remove this Banner Ad

Or perhaps the junior executives left because there was no future in a club that keeps its CEO for over 20 years. I am surprised that the worlds greatest Corporate Governance guru-Carter- has allowed this to happen. But then perhaps the board have little say, perhaps the board are too lazy to make changes, perhaps they are bewitched by the guff about Cook.
He hasbeen there during our success but that has only been over the five years of premierships. The rest has yielded nought. Can anyone tell us if we have been posting profits for all of those years and if any losses are due to the stadium rebuild. Because Stadium debt was what we had in 1998.
What exactly has Cook done wrong? I'm not one for change just for the sake of it.

As for the stadium debt, you do remember 4 stages have been completed since 1998?

Fox and Hocking were poached to lead other organisations because of the skills they learnt under Cook fact, Cook is building the club just not on field performance in which when you look at the record since he has been with the club has been outstanding even with the tough years from 98-03, each stage of the stadium development incurs a debt to the club, the club pay off that debt then start the next stage, the club have been making profits although things will change a little when the club lose revenue from gambling, they will need to raise extra revenue to cover or cut back on non core business.
What is your role at the club? You clearly must have one given the propoganda you are spouting.

What is your role at the club? You clearly must have one given the propoganda you are spouting.
Nah quite clear you want to take pop shots at any and all at the club out of hand just for failure instead of looking at the facts, send an email to Stacey Oates media manager and ask her about your grievances..

Good interview with Cook on SEN just now. Key points:

- tried everything to keep TK including approaching AFL for permission to support his family outside the salary cap (therapists for kids etc) which was denied. Cook feels this denial was ‘not in the spirit of the competition’
Hypocrites. I remember Dusty getting a gig on the footy show to air his contract decision and he was paid a hefty sum to do so, not to mention all these Puma sponsorships and whatnot he got as well. So many third-party deals get the green light but a bloke on the other side of the country with three young kids, two with special needs doesn't qualify for some extra family support and therapists? A load of crap if ever I saw one.

Need to remember this filth from the AFL and beat them at their own game - if Cook wants 11 home games as bad as they make out then sign a contract with the KP Stadium Trust for 11 games a year, the Govt. whoever, like Hawthorn did with their Tassie deal. AFL throwing us no favours so stuff 'em.

Hypocrites. I remember Dusty getting a gig on the footy show to air his contract decision and he was paid a hefty sum to do so, not to mention all these Puma sponsorships and whatnot he got as well. So many third-party deals get the green light but a bloke on the other side of the country with three young kids, two with special needs doesn't qualify for some extra family support and therapists? A load of crap if ever I saw one.

Need to remember this filth from the AFL and beat them at their own game - if Cook wants 11 home games as bad as they make out then sign a contract with the KP Stadium Trust for 11 games a year, the Govt. whoever, like Hawthorn did with their Tassie deal. AFL throwing us no favours so stuff 'em.

Remember when Ablett was looking to go north and Costa went to the AFL asking if we can organise some kind of ambassador role for Gaz outside the salary cap, and were told no, yet you have heaps of players around the league who on a similar deal, and the AFL seem fine with those deals.

Remember when Ablett was looking to go north and Costa went to the AFL asking if we can organise some kind of ambassador role for Gaz outside the salary cap, and were told no, yet you have heaps of players around the league who on a similar deal, and the AFL seem fine with those deals.
It was ok for Juddy and Visy.

A number of things already mentioned. Its also about missed opportunities.
A number of vague assertions. How about giving him credit for the good things?

- Net profit of $3.976 million in 2018
- Record memberships
- Financial stability
- Getting rid of Pokies
- Only Victorian club with genuine home ground
- Geelong has played finals in all but 2 or 3 years during his 21 year tenure
- 3 premierships

Last edited:
The AFL needed Ablett at GC. In hindsight it was a wasted 6 years for everyone, except GAJ's bank balance

Gaz literally got to be paid outside the SC as an ambassador... while at the Suns.

I didn't realise we wanted to try that one with us before he left.

A number of things already mentioned. Its also about missed opportunities.
Which opportunities exactly?

Enough to have you explode with another "im never posting here again" ?!?!

But seriously... you make it sound like Cookie is a has been and the ability to do his job has completely evapourated, and is driving the club to the wall. Yet in fact both Hocking, Fox and Reeves all of whom Cook brought in to follow him out were poached to other jobs. Guess they were taken as Cook did a bad job with them?

Go Catters

Last edited:
Bunnings has a special on pitchforks...
Pitchfork[1].png

Stop your whining and storm the parapets.
Do something instead of bleating like fly-blown sheep.
Get rid of Cook. Get rid of Carter. Get rid of Scott.
May as well get rid of Knights too, you know you want to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 761964

Our whining is how we make a difference. Hopefully some others take on board the arguments and change their own views. If enough of you do then things may change.

Which opportunities exactly?

Enough to have you explode with another "im never posting here again" ?!?!

But seriously... you make it sound like Cookie is a has been and the ability to do his job has completely evapourated, and is driving the club to the wall. Yet in fact both Hocking, Fox and Reeves all of whom Cook brought in to follow him out were poached to other jobs. Guess they were taken as Cook did a bad job with them?

Go Catters
Is that the best defence you have? Other people have been hired to other roles? Really? Tell us some of his achievements in the past decade and why they took great skill and leadership to achieve?

View attachment 761964

C'mon max, we all know Knights should be first to go :D

Or perhaps the junior executives left because there was no future in a club that keeps its CEO for over 20 years. I am surprised that the worlds greatest Corporate Governance guru-Carter- has allowed this to happen. But then perhaps the board have little say, perhaps the board are too lazy to make changes, perhaps they are bewitched by the guff about Cook.
He hasbeen there during our success but that has only been over the five years of premierships. The rest has yielded nought. Can anyone tell us if we have been posting profits for all of those years and if any losses are due to the stadium rebuild. Because Stadium debt was what we had in 1998.
How is Carter a Governance Guru when he has overseen the appointment of James Sutherland to the Board. He should know that perception of reputational damage is very real here.

How is Carter a Governance Guru when he has overseen the appointment of James Sutherland to the Board. He should know that perception of reputational damage is very real here.
I wouldn't let the board as a whole off the hook either. He needed their agreement. Shocker of a decision.

You must be a troll, and aren’t even a geelong supporter if you don’t agree with everything they do. Isn’t that how it goes?

This was surprising news, I listened to cooky not long ago when he was on Damo’s podcast, and the impression I got was he was done after his contract was up. To me, it seems Sutherland will take over but Cooky has been pushed into staying 2 more years to make the transition easier.

This was surprising news, I listened to cooky not long ago when he was on Damo’s podcast, and the impression I got was he was done after his contract was up. To me, it seems Sutherland will take over but Cooky has been pushed into staying 2 more years to make the transition easier.
You are depressing me now. After having contributed to stuffing-up CA Sutherland leaves that crowd shortly I believe. So you'd think he'd have to find some employment during the intervening period - ie the couple of years remaning on Cooky's contract . My thinking therefore has been we've dodged a bullet. Still clinging to that hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back