Remove this Banner Ad

Mahlepi

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2015
danger zone
AFL Club
Geelong
Well well
Brian Cook leads an administration that does not stand up to the AFL on any issue.
He calls out his own supporters, who have legitimate gripes against the AFL. Who simply might not want to pay $80 odd to sit in the nose bleed sections of the MCG and get abused. So it is the supporters who are suffering finals fatigue "I wonder if, after 25 AFL finals since 2007, our supporters are getting finals fatigue or simply expecting to make the finals and win them each year. I would hope not, as it is so difficult to make the AFL finals, let alone the top four and win the premiership,"

The same can not be said about the administration team at Geelong who have no faith in Geelong getting to the grand final, and selling the grand final brunch today. This event would be full if Geelong makes the GF, but the same administration are showing the faith they have in Scott and the boys.

Cook, is an intelligent man. But it is ridiculous to complete market research which clearly tells you Geelong fans don't want Friday night football at the G, and to then criticise them for not turning up.

It may well be time for Cook to hand over the job.

Its bad enough having KB crap on for a week, but when your CEO gives him more ammo it simply is not good enough.

The supporters have been subjected to 6 years of piss poor finals performances. That not finals fatigue, thats simply the supporters being more distraught at the results than some at the club.

Maybe just maybe this week will result in a change. Because if the club faces another heavy loss, lets see if the same blowtorch is applied internally.

Wake up Cook.

I'll have to disagree with you here. I think you may have missed his point which was to get punters to the game to back the boys! I believe Cooky raised the repeat finals appearances as a way to illustrate how successful we've been and for us to stick fat!
Unless you get to go to meetings with (or have spies at) the AFL I'm not sure how you could accuse Cook as not standing up to them. there is one bloke at the club who has runs on the board it's that him and I reckon potting him now is symptomatic of our frustration with Friday's loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget his swipe at fans dare to question Scott being reappointed during the season. Cook is a Geelong saviour who has been one of the most influential figures in cats history. Problem is twenty years of hearing that your bound to get a bit self righteous and drink your own bathwater.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

I'll have to disagree with you here. I think you may have missed his point which was to get punters to the game to back the boys! I believe Cooky raised the repeat finals appearances as a way to illustrate how successful we've been and for us to stick fat!
Unless you get to go to meetings with (or have spies at) the AFL I'm not sure how you could accuse Cook as not standing up to them. there is one bloke at the club who has runs on the board it's that him and I reckon potting him now is symptomatic of our frustration with Friday's loss.

Yet... to me it highlights how unsuccessful we have been. Finals fatigue brought on by too much success? What like Hawthorn? What were our crowds like in 2011 after 3 in 5 years..no fatigue then Id say Its not success that supporters are fatigued with ... its the continual failure in the 9 finals games... yes even the ones we have won ..have been just wins...and in no way ties up to a side finishing top4. We have not played a definitive convincing final since the 2011 GF. Basically we have purchased a product and it has been not able to deliver value for money. If Cook is unhappy with something for the club does he keep purchasing it?

I heard KB and Buzz ask for people to tell them how much it costs or perhaps how much time it takes to get to the G... they really have no idea..have any of them ever purchased tickets like the rest of us. and put up with Ticketek. Id say they should experience the whole process to really understand it..when was the last time Cook went to the footy on the train? Or sat in the outer with drooling yellowed eyed feral's ... my guess they wouldn't do it. They would not go if they were not in their highly paid positions and enjoyed their football in the comfort they are accustom to.

He's entitled to try and get people to the game. The Richmond support last Friday played a part in their victory. They would have won anyway, but it definitely helped them.

As I've said in another thread, I don't like the 'Greatness' slogan. The business side of the club may be great, but onfield it hasn't been great for a while. That's fine - most teams aren't great. But why use it as a slogan?

If we make the GF this year (and definitely if we win it) 'Greatness' will be OK. Until then, it's just hot air. It suggests complacency and an over-inflated sense of our own importance.

No Geelong fan should ever bad mouth Cook.

He put his hand into a sewerage tank, pulled the turd that was the Geelong Football Club out, polished us with a complete overhaul and we haven't looked back since.
B**** S****t. Cook is a highly paid administrator who has the patronage of Costa. He is not better than the 17 other CEOs of AFL Clubs. He has never played a game for the club so cannot be said to have won GFs for us and if you look carefully at the handover in 1999 Ron Hovey gave it to Costa and co who then set out to destroy his reputation. Undeserved criticism because Costa was on that Board for several years prior.
Time for Cook to go he cannot be the Chair of Barwon Health and hold down a full time job at the same time.

How I see it too.
Would be a major embarrassment to see more Swans fans at this final in Melbourne than Cats fans.

B**** S****t. Cook is a highly paid administrator who has the patronage of Costa. He is not better than the 17 other CEOs of AFL Clubs. He has never played a game for the club so cannot be said to have won GFs for us and if you look carefully at the handover in 1999 Ron Hovey gave it to Costa and co who then set out to destroy his reputation. Undeserved criticism because Costa was on that Board for several years prior.
Time for Cook to go he cannot be the Chair of Barwon Health and hold down a full time job at the same time.
All I can say is you have very a short memory. Cook has been the single best recruit ever at Geelong Football Club.

Yet... to me it highlights how unsuccessful we have been. Finals fatigue brought on by too much success? What like Hawthorn? What were our crowds like in 2011 after 3 in 5 years..no fatigue then Id say Its not success that supporters are fatigued with ... its the continual failure in the 9 finals games... yes even the ones we have won ..have been just wins...and in no way ties up to a side finishing top4. We have not played a definitive convincing final since the 2011 GF. Basically we have purchased a product and it has been not able to deliver value for money. If Cook is unhappy with something for the club does he keep purchasing it?

I heard KB and Buzz ask for people to tell them how much it costs or perhaps how much time it takes to get to the G... they really have no idea..have any of them ever purchased tickets like the rest of us. and put up with Ticketek. Id say they should experience the whole process to really understand it..when was the last time Cook went to the footy on the train? Or sat in the outer with drooling yellowed eyed feral's ... my guess they wouldn't do it. They would not go if they were not in their highly paid positions and enjoyed their football in the comfort they are accustom to.

I'm not sure if you are saying "let's not go because I hate finishing in the top 4" or "let's not go because I hate ticketek" or "let's not go because we are gunna loose" or "Richmond fans lack of teeth scares me!"
Do yourself a favour and turn KB off, he is an A grade knob!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Performing on field the way we have the last five series and not learning a damn thing from the previous pathetic result is about as worthwhile as not making them at all.

No.

Making the Finals in any way is 100x better than not making them if you think otherwise you're a damn idiot.

Cook's essentially correct - finals fatigue *is* a factor, because it's just so de rigeur for us now.

I mean, compare this year to 2004. In 2004 - like 2017 - we got smacked six ways from Sunday in the first final, and will front up for a Semi-Final the following week. I have to admit, I felt a lot more excited about facing Essendon in 2004 than I do about facing Sydney this week - because now, exiting at the semi-final stage feels like a failure.

It feels like a failure simply because we've made prelims in five years running from 2007, then again in '13 and '16. We are used to success - it's not the fans' fault ,it's just human nature.

Performing on field the way we have the last five series and not learning a damn thing from the previous pathetic result is about as worthwhile as not making them at all.

I was still living in Melbourne between 1989 and 1995 and went to every Final we played. Rest assured losing 4 GF's and other finals was no picnic.
I managed to get over for 2007 and 2011 which together with 2009 was more joy than I could handle :)
However - you hang in there and always have faith in the Club you bleed for. Sure there are times when frustration and disappointment can overwhelm just like it can in real life but you don't throw in the towel. One poster left the Club because Menzel wasn't selected - FFS what an immature and thin skinned response - a decision was made ( incorrect one I'll add) in good faith so just deal with it and maintain your support.
Many held their faith for 44 years and were rewarded and there were some really s**t performances in that 44 years.
Sport is a test of character , some just haven't got the fortitude to go the distance
Can't tell you how much I miss seeing the Cats play live , as they say you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

The same can not be said about the administration team at Geelong who have no faith in Geelong getting to the grand final, and selling the grand final brunch today. This event would be full if Geelong makes the GF, but the same administration are showing the faith they have in Scott and the boys.
If I was trying to sell tickets to a Geelong-themed GF brunch, I'd sure as hell be trying to flog them *this* week on the basis of pure economics. It's not exactly disloyalty to admit that our chances of making a GF are less than half now.

How I see it too.
Would be a major embarrassment to see more Swans fans at this final in Melbourne than Cats fans.

It may happen too. I believe I can still get cheap entry this week being an AFL affiliated member, but I am not even considering going. Not after the last five years of Groundhog Day finals and particularly after the last two finals, the worst games I have been to, even worse than that awful night in Sydney all those years ago.

It is not healthy sitting through that crap. I'll still be glued to the box of course, but I haven't felt as low and angry as I did on Friday night and all day Saturday for a very long time. Not going there again.

It was crisis time a couple of years ago now, and the club have been sitting on their hands and doing nothing about it and the results have been exactly the same. We have all trusted them as they have earned our trust. I feel that trust is running out now and that is a good thing. Unless we somehow make the gf from here they MUST make a coaching change. Scott has been a good coach but not good enough, we are wasting opportunities and any long time supporter knows they don't come along too often.

Cook's essentially correct - finals fatigue *is* a factor, because it's just so de rigeur for us now.

I mean, compare this year to 2004. In 2004 - like 2017 - we got smacked six ways from Sunday in the first final, and will front up for a Semi-Final the following week. I have to admit, I felt a lot more excited about facing Essendon in 2004 than I do about facing Sydney this week - because now, exiting at the semi-final stage feels like a failure.

It feels like a failure simply because we've made prelims in five years running from 2007, then again in '13 and '16. We are used to success - it's not the fans' fault ,it's just human nature.

Its the start of a groups success compared to the tail end of it... Someone new at anything is happy with a lot less... a new player selected compared to a senior player... I doubt Ablett would be happy with coming back to just participate in finals.

Really? Would you prefer to have been a Melbourne supporter all that time? Really?!?

In effect, you're saying that Geelongs problems of not winning finals are a "first world problem" and I loathe when people say that. It is still a problem and people should be able to vent those frustrations even if they may seem minor compared to others. I don't think it is fair to compare the two and ask which you prefer.

Yeah, we have had it better than other teams over the years but that doesn't mean the club or administration should be immune to criticism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back