Opinion Brian Cook

Remove this Banner Ad

Costa was not an executive, he was President of the Board, the Board employed Cook. Cook did the job. You can compare Costa and Carter, but Costa and Cook played very different roles.

Wow so the guy that will be enshrined at geelong with the costa name as a club legend all of a sudden isn't more important than the gm we brought over from west coast.

The underlings more important in the process than the main honcho whom hired him I think not

Wow so the guy that will be enshrined at geelong with the costa name as a club legend all of a sudden isn't more important than the gm we brought over from west coast.

The underlings more important in the process than the main honcho whom hired him I think not
That's not what he said. He was not underplaying Costa's achievements at all.

We're too comfortable and insular at the moment. We need a shake up.

I don't follow cricket at all any more so I can't really comment on Sutherland one way or the other. I do think that change is needed though.
Sutherland is bad news.

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/afl/blues-busted-over-secret-payments-to-williams-20030329-gdgihd.html

Carlton secretly paid star player Greg Williams $200,000 by funnelling money through a construction company to beat the AFL salary cap, according to a report yesterday.

The payments, made between 1993 and 1995, were authorised by Carlton chiefs Ian Collins and James Sutherland as ground maintenance, although no work was done, Melbourne's Herald Sun reported yesterday.

The company used to conceal the payments was Amigo Constructions Pty Ltd, which had Victoria's Sports Minister, Justin Madden, on board as a director until July 1994.

Documents relating to the scheme outline the arrangement was the brainchild of Collins and Williams's manager, Peter Jess, who was also a director of Amigo Constructions.

Then his next job....

“Everyone is talking about the culture of the team, but for me the culture of CA has been a bit haywire for a while. I’m not surprised that’s flowed on down to the team.

“I’ve always felt if things are a bit astray with the administrators off the field, it tends to flow through and things go astray on the field as well.

“In recent years it seemed like decisions were being made with the bottom-line in mind, rather than the best interests of the game.”

Sutherland is bad news.

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/afl/blues-busted-over-secret-payments-to-williams-20030329-gdgihd.html

Then his next job....

“Everyone is talking about the culture of the team, but for me the culture of CA has been a bit haywire for a while. I’m not surprised that’s flowed on down to the team.

“I’ve always felt if things are a bit astray with the administrators off the field, it tends to flow through and things go astray on the field as well.

“In recent years it seemed like decisions were being made with the bottom-line in mind, rather than the best interests of the game.”
I can't believe "Amigo Constructions" would do anything dodgy.

Sutherland is bad news.

Then his next job....

Not once have I recommended Sutherland nor am I aware of it being announced that he will be Cook's successor.

Now those quotes that you've added to the bottom of your post are funny in a way because if you were to change a few words here or there it would sum up my thoughts regarding Cook and Geelong at the moment.

That would be fantastic. We've lost our way since he's left and Cook is wielding too much power IMO.
Some people would say we lost our way while he was still with us. He only left last year after all.
He had been at the club since 2003, and was as entrenched in the current culture as Cook.
Not sure that a year or two away would change that.
I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good successor for Cook, but it seems to me that Steve's fortunes have been tied pretty closely to Cook's tenure.

Some people would say we lost our way while he was still with us. He only left last year after all.
He had been at the club since 2003, and was as entrenched in the current culture as Cook.
Not sure that a year or two away would change that.
I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good successor for Cook, but it seems to me that Steve's fortunes have been tied pretty closely to Cook's tenure.
All good points. I felt that whilst Hocking was there he was able to maintain order. Now it's just a case of Cook playing with his puppets IMO. There's no one currently at the club that's going to challenge him like Hocking did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All good points. I felt that whilst Hocking was there he was able to maintain order. Now it's just a case of Cook playing with his puppets IMO. There's no one currently at the club that's going to challenge him like Hocking did.
It's an interesting perspective. You may be right, and I have no way of disproving your theory.

Blokes like Cook are as scares as gun full forwards,he won't be easily replaced.

The amazing, hard-to-replace stuff that Cook did for the club was 15-20 years ago though. Since the 2011 premiership, all facets of the club are sliding (except memberships, which are rising, although how many of them are full 11-game memberships is unknown). Cook needs to go. Find someone who is going to turn the place upside down like Cook did when he first arrived and start restoring some order

The amazing, hard-to-replace stuff that Cook did for the club was 15-20 years ago though. Since the 2011 premiership, all facets of the club are sliding (except memberships, which are rising, although how many of them are full 11-game memberships is unknown). Cook needs to go. Find someone who is going to turn the place upside down like Cook did when he first arrived and start restoring some order
He will. But he is making sure there is someone good enough to take over the reins first.
If he left now, the hordes would rightly be manning their pitchforks and calling him a traitor for jumping ship.

He will. But he is making sure there is someone good enough to take over the reins first.
If he left now, the hordes would rightly be manning their pitchforks and calling him a traitor for jumping ship.
Well there are three people who have gone on to similar or bigger jobs that Cook has so someone must think that they are good enough

That's the point. They left early. Cook would be long gone if Fox etc had have hung on a year longer.
And that is the point they left because they were not going to advance at the GFC because Cook was not leaving. And perhaps it would not have been abad thing for Fox to stay to get some new ideas in.

Let me tell you ungrateful's if every one else at the Cats was as dedicated,professional and absolutely committed to the Cats as Brian Cook has been since his arrival at the Cattery we would have had 5 flags minimum in his time not 3.

Its pretty easy to arm chair Full forward this stuff from the outer spilling beer on their shoes and yelling "ball.".

They can always do it better :rolleyes:

not saying BC is impervious to mistakes, but the sentiment here about him being a clamp to progress is astounding.

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back