News Brian Cooks replacement

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geelong have started their search for their first new chief executive officer in more than two decades after Brian Cook’s decision to step away at the end of this year.

Cook, whose future was confirmed in February, has outlasted some of the biggest names in football since his appointment in 1999....

...The Cats have appointed head-hunter Egon Zehnder and plan to make an appointment by July.

Cook, who does not hold a formal role in the process to appoint his successor, will remain in the CEO role until December, when his replacement will take over.

The appointment is a major decision for Geelong’s board ahead of a significant changing of the guard.

It's a big process for the club, and no doubt that there'll be names thrown around that we all won't be happy with, but gotta trust the process will find the right person

Current names suggested are:

- Justin Andrews is a surf coast export who has made it big on the global executive stage, currently the senior vice president at Oakley sunglasses in the US.
It’s been suggested Andrews could relocate back to the region with his family, if the right opportunity presented.
Andrews is also a former director of the Cats, appointed to the board in 2013 when he was in charge of Oakley’s South Pacific operations.

- Steve Hocking is another potential choice who could return to the club to replace the highly decorated Cook.

- James Sutherland, former CEO of Cricket Australia is currently Golf Australia CEO and sits on the Cats’ board.

It's a big process for the club, and no doubt that there'll be names thrown around that we all won't be happy with, but gotta trust the process will find the right person

Current names suggested are:

- Justin Andrews is a surf coast export who has made it big on the global executive stage, currently the senior vice president at Oakley sunglasses in the US.
It’s been suggested Andrews could relocate back to the region with his family, if the right opportunity presented.
Andrews is also a former director of the Cats, appointed to the board in 2013 when he was in charge of Oakley’s South Pacific operations.

- Steve Hocking is another potential choice who could return to the club to replace the highly decorated Cook.

- James Sutherland, former CEO of Cricket Australia is currently Golf Australia CEO and sits on the Cats’ board.

Wasn't Sutherland involved in some slimey dealings as part of CA?

I doubt we get Steve back from AFL House so soon.

The Oakley bloke seems a nice fit though

And the Oakley bloke sounds like a local who's previously been involved with the club - I don't mind the idea of going someone a bit left field like that, and not necessarily just go after someone from a sporting background

And the Oakley bloke sounds like a local who's previously been involved with the club - I don't mind the idea of going someone a bit left field like that, and not necessarily just go after someone from a sporting background

Those are really excellent points too. Not to mention having spent time in the US, I'm sure he's got some pretty good insights and ideas from US sporting codes, if only by osmosis

Involved in just about all is closer to the mark. Essentially whatever he touches turns to slime, it's a big "oh * no" from me (not that I have any idea of course).
Oakley guy does sound good.

If it means we finally get 11 home games plus home finals then alot of you would need to accept that only Eddie McGuire can give us what we deserve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

best mix is someone with the Business acumen but with a genuine passion and love for the game and preferably the club.
Doubt Cook was a cats man before he got the job - I would prefer an outsider.

Business acumen? Kind of, must have a strong sport administration pedigree, dealing with a sporting club is different from abusiness where the only goal is to make money.

As for Steve Hocking - didn't really fly during his brief period of COO at the club - excels where he is now, but perhaps that is it.

Just not Sutherland.

Dont want the pall of previous darkness hanging over us.

But like jim boy said.... business acumen, strong sports Admin, some footy club experience and someone thats not necessarily a Cats person would be good. The outside experience would be nice too...

Regardless whom it becomes, they will have the unenviable task of the Cookie comparison for at least 2 years... not one id want to have honestly.
Kinda like being the next FF after GAS retired.

Not fun

GO Catters

Doubt Cook was a cats man before he got the job - I would prefer an outsider.

Business acumen? Kind of, must have a strong sport administration pedigree, dealing with a sporting club is different from abusiness where the only goal is to make money.

As for Steve Hocking - didn't really fly during his brief period of COO at the club - excels where he is now, but perhaps that is it.
He wasn't . Was unemployed in WA after ?leaving the Eagles

Remember last year, Sutherland pulled the old mate network to get himself and his son flown to the hub by the ALF for the finals. When this was pointed out for the obvious junket it was, it was explained as him providing advice on ''touring teams'' issues give his time at CA !!! Reeks of privilege, me-me-me networker, I'm with all the NOT SUTHERLAND posts. It smelt like a set-up when he went onto the Board, but no one thing could pull apart Cookes legacy than adopting a leader with this sort of value set. Oh yeah, and he left a hot mess of a culture at Cricket Australia as well.

She'd be out of the price range of an AFL club ceo pay pack I think

She also happens to be on the Collingwood board and if I heard correctly, is heading up the search for Eddie's replacement.

But hey, I'd be happy to Christine as our next CEO - smart, competent, and would have at least some experience in footy thanks to the Pies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back