catscratchfever

Captain Goodvibes
Aug 16, 2008
The Edge Of Reality
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Space Cadets
I've been a fan of Brian Eno for a long time.

Brian Eno was a founding member of Roxy Music and has since gone on to release a stack of solo albums and collaborations.

Known as the Godfather of Ambient, his best known album is probably Ambient 1: Music For Airports.

Eno has also produced albums for David Bowie, Talking Heads, Devo, Coldplay, U2 and countless others. A GOD of modern music in every respect.

Eno curated the Vivid Festival in Sydney from May 26-June 14, 2009. For the duration he projected his 77 Million Paintings onto the sails of the Sydney Opera House. Eno performed three concerts on the last afternoon to close the event.

I was lucky enough to ask Eno a couple of questions in his media conference on the opening morning and have my photo taken with him afterwards, one of the highlights of my life :D

If you're interested, check out my site dedicated to him at

http://www.moredarkthanshark.org

and my Twitter feed at

http://twitter.com/dark_shark

Last edited:

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Used to always study to Music For Airports, which means I constantly think about high school and uni when I listen to it now.

A really versatile guy and his discography and associations is so interesting, you'd love a career arc like him. And it's not like he was a hanger on, he basically helped Bowie... Bowie and guys like that needed him.

catscratchfever

Captain Goodvibes
Aug 16, 2008
The Edge Of Reality
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Space Cadets
Also the creator of Microsoft Windows start up sound....probably wants to keep that under wraps.

That 3.5 seconds of sound for Windows 95 probably made him the most-heard musician on the planet + he was paid a small fortune for creating it, so I'd imagine he's pretty happy about how things went ;)

WireHawk

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
The Black Lodge
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've been a huge fan since 1977 and have managed to pick up most of his recordings since then(a bloody lot!). I managed to get the box set 'Working Backwards' when it came out in the mid 80's for $30 and it's now selling for $900!

His two albums with Harold Budd, 'Ambient 2:The Plateaux of Mirror' and 'The Pearl' are probably the two albums I'd choose first to take to a desert island. Decades after first hearing them I still enjoy them just as much as ever. Truly timeless. Overall I think his best solo work is 'Ambient 4:On Land' and the most underrated is 'The Shutov Assembly'. The track 'Riverside' from 'The Shutov Assembly' is my favourite Eno solo piece.

catscratchfever

Captain Goodvibes
Aug 16, 2008
The Edge Of Reality
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Space Cadets
I've been a huge fan since 1977 and have managed to pick up most of his recordings since then(a bloody lot!). I managed to get the box set 'Working Backwards' when it came out in the mid 80's for $30 and it's now selling for $900!

His two albums with Harold Budd, 'Ambient 2:The Plateaux of Mirror' and 'The Pearl' are probably the two albums I'd choose first to take to a desert island. Decades after first hearing them I still enjoy them just as much as ever. Truly timeless. Overall I think his best solo work is 'Ambient 4:On Land' and the most underrated is 'The Shutov Assembly'. The track 'Riverside' from 'The Shutov Assembly' is my favourite Eno solo piece.

Not bad... for a Hawthorn fan ;)

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
A true original, but I'm most familiar with his stuff with early-era Roxy Music and Berlin-era David Bowie. Not surprisingly, he inspired both groups to put out some of the most original, quirky music they'd ever put out.

WireHawk

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
The Black Lodge
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I thought I'd list a few favourite tracks for fellow Eno fans.

Five solo album vocal tracks:
1: By This River (Before And After Science)
2: Golden Hours (Another Green World)
3: Mother Whale Eyeless (Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy)
4: Julie...With (Before And After Science)
5: St.Elmo's Fire (Another Green World)

Five solo instrumental tracks:
1: Riverside (The Shutov Assembly)
2: Shadow (Ambient 4:On Land)
3: An Ending (Apollo Soundtracks)
4: M386 (Music For Films)
5: Dover Beach (Jubilee Soundtrack)

Five vocal tracks with other artists:
1: Miss Shapiro (Diamond Head-with Phil Manzanera)
2: The Bell Dog (Eno Moebius Rodelius-with Dieter Moebius and Hans Joachim Rodelius)
3: Broken Head (Eno Moebius Rodelius-with Dieter Moebius and Hans Joachim Rodelius)
4: Tomorrow Never Knows (801 Live-with Phil Manzanera and others)
5: Spinning Away (Wrong Way Up-with John Cale)

Five instrumental tracks with other artists:
1: Delta Rain Dream ( Fourth World Possible Musics-with Jon Hassell)
2: Their Memories (The Pearl-with Harold Budd)
3: Base And Apex (Eno Moebius Rodelius-with Dieter Moebius and Hans Joachim Rodelius)
4: Wind On Water (Evening Star-with Robert Fripp)
5: Mea Culpa (My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts-with David Byrne)

So hard to limit it to five tracks, especially in the instrumental category. But you have to stop somewhere.

Last edited:

catscratchfever

Captain Goodvibes
Aug 16, 2008
The Edge Of Reality
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Space Cadets
I thought I'd list a few favourite tracks for fellow Eno fans.

Five solo album vocal tracks:
1: By This River (Before And After Science)
2: Golden Hours (Another Green World)
3: Mother Whale Eyeless (Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy)
4: Julie...With (Before And After Science)
5: St.Elmo's Fire (Another Green World)

Five solo instrumental tracks:
1: Riverside (The Shutov Assembly)
2: Shadow (Ambient 4:On Land)
3: An Ending (Apollo Soundtracks)
4: M386 (Music For Films)
5: Dover Beach (Jubilee Soundtrack)

Five vocal tracks with other artists:
1: Miss Shapiro (Diamond Head-with Phil Manzanera)
2: The Bell Dog (Eno Moebius Rodelius-with Dieter Moebius and Hans Joachim Rodelius)
3: Broken Head (Eno Moebius Rodelius-with Dieter Moebius and Hans Joachim Rodelius)
4: Tomorrow Never Knows (801 Live-with Phil Manzanera and others)
5: Spinning Away (Wrong Way Up-with John Cale)

Five instrumental tracks with other artists:
1: Delta Rain Dream ( Fourth World Possible Musics-with Jon Hassell)
2: Their Memories (The Pearl-with Harold Budd)
3: Base And Apex (Eno Moebius Rodelius-with Dieter Moebius and Hans Joachim Rodelius)
4: Wind On Water (Evening Star-with Robert Fripp)
5: Mea Culpa (My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts-with David Byrne)

So hard to limit it to five tracks, especially in the instrumental category. But you have to stop somewhere.

Out of that lot, I'd probably have to go with The Belldog as my favourite... I had the privilege of meeting the late great Dieter Moebius at the Corner Hotel in Richmond in 2012. A lovely man, and incredible music maker.

Back