Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Some good episodes when he has good chemistry with the guest, Plant, some not so and a bit forced.
There are a few I haven't seen yet.

Tangent: another good interviewer is Rick Wakeman from a while ago. Great sessions with Jon Lord, Ian Anderson

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
All a bit too fabricated, middle of road, and commercial for my liking, as has been ACDC pretty much since 1982.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
One of my favourite episodes was Lars from Metallica taking Brian into their clubhouse with all the flags from around the world they had thrown on stage.

Helps that they kinda knew each other.

AC/DC, Angus particularly, are notorious for having no interest in mixing with other bands. Perhaps there was an exception for Metallica.

Only really Bon and original bassist Mark Evans did. One time they performed with Cheap Trick.

Interceptor

All Australian
Aug 20, 2009
London, UK
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

AC/DC, Angus particularly, are notorious for having no interest in mixing with other bands. Perhaps there was an exception for Metallica.

Only really Bon and original bassist Mark Evans did. One time they performed with Cheap Trick.
No mention of AC/DC and the Stones?

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brian has also sung live with Billy Joel, does that count? :)
Was that during his intermission from AC/DC? I am aware of it. Apparently he and Cliff also made a solo album together.

Most of these things came late, post 2000. During the 80s and 90s you wouldn't have found a bigger band that shut themselves away from the rest of the industry.

Apparently Malcolm Young and Eddie Van Halen went out a few times. Angus just went to bed.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Interceptor

All Australian
Aug 20, 2009
London, UK
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Was that during his intermission from AC/DC? I am aware of it. Apparently he and Cliff also made a solo album together.

Most of these things came late, post 2000. During the 80s and 90s you wouldn't have found a bigger band that shut themselves away from the rest of the industry.

Apparently Malcolm Young and Eddie Van Halen went out a few times. Angus just went to bed.

Looks like Brian joined Billy on stage a few times during 2014 (for You Shook Me All Night Long).

Also noticed Brian did Back in Black with Muse at the Reading Festival in 2017.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Guns N Roses?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Remember an interview with Angus in like 1983 or something where he called Van Halen a pop band.

This was 1983 before the synth and the ballads.

STFU Donnie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom
I know this thread is about Brian, but I thought it would be OK to drop this tribute to Bon. It's from the annual Bonfest, held in his boyhood home of Kirriemuir to honour Bon and AC/DC. And it's effing awesome.

Been watching the Mark Knopfler one tonight. Dont think I have heard / seen him in an interview for about 25 years, so its great to hear what he has been doing. Knew he got into music production, but didnt know how broad it was.

Mark and Brian join in and sing some old classic Geordie and folk and blues classics together.

Knopfler wrote so many great guitar riffs, great to hear some of them again and some stories behind a few songs and where the lyrics came from and what they mean. Lots of Newcastle references and the interview was done there..

Takes someone from a non traditional muso background to become the biggest band in the world for about 15 months in 1985-86, playing 243 stadium shows in a couple of dozen countries, for The Brothers In Arms tour and walk away from it all, because it was all becoming so unreal, and he wanted to concentrate on making and producing different type of music.

Looked up a couple of Knopfler's songs and the first video popped up on the side bar and then the next one when I watched the first one.

After Brian gives an introduction on a bridge on Newcastle upon Tyne, overlooking the mini coat hanger bridge, two Geordies meet up down at the Spanish City at Whitley Bay - where Knopfler discovers they have taken his lyrics from his Tunnel of Love and put them on the paving in the open plaza and is blown away by it. The Geordie boys sing along a couple times to some old ditties.

In the second video they sing along to an old Newcastle song, and they do this type of thing a few other times in the 45 minutes.

Just checked on ABC iview the first 3 episodes of Series 2 is still up but all end after 3 weeks of going to air its seems. First episode is Dolly Parton, second is Billy Joel, which I saw that last week - Brian joins Billy at his monthly sell out show at Madson Square Gardens and they sing Shook Me All Night Long together.

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I didn’t know that about Knofler’s lyrics being embedded in the bricks. That’s nice.
I saw one clip of Brian doing Shook Me All Long with Joel’s band. His guitarist was very average and his guitar was out of tune, or he was choking the strings

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I didn’t know that about Knofler’s lyrics being embedded in the bricks. That’s nice.
I saw one clip of Brian doing Shook Me All Long with Joel’s band, and his guitarist was average and his guitar was out of tune, or he was choking the strings
I think Brian done that during hiatus from AC/DC in the middle of his hearing issues.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
The Knopfler episode was great.

They are both Geordie boys and when Mark mentioned the Spanish City that he used to go to when they were kids I immediately thought of this song.

He talked about how he loved all the American rock bands but they talked about American places and he wanted to put his own place on the rock map.

Making Movies was Dire Straits best album imo.

Last edited:

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Personally, I have enjoyed the Mick Fleetwood episode the best. I knew he was tall, but he's bigger than Buddy. I noticed that Brian never asked Mick about his relationship with Stevie Nicks during the recording of Rumours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back