Rumour Brian Lake done for trespassing

Remove this Banner Ad

Years ago when Brian was playing for the Bulldgos, I saw him and his wife at the shops on Christmas Eve (why I was there I don't recall). She was tearing him to shreds, I am not sure what he had done but she was letting him know about it. Plenty of finger pointing, probably reading his horoscope.
Were you Xmas shopping?

It comes after the 37-year-old, who last year appeared on Australian Survivor, was arrested in Japan in July following a late-night brawl. he was never charged but spent six nights in a solitary confinement cell.

that's actually considered torture, only takes 72 hours to go insane

It comes after the 37-year-old, who last year appeared on Australian Survivor, was arrested in Japan in July following a late-night brawl. he was never charged but spent six nights in a solitary confinement cell.

Some blokes live in their basements for longer

Takes me about 15minutes into Monday's shift each week...

Where did you pull that out from ?

6 days is a long time in solitary confinement for anyone
Peter Liddy did 11 years

Barney Fife is coming up to 20+

And thats just in Adelaide

Solitary Confinement as practiced by most Australian prisons is 23 hour lockdown. You may or may not have access to reading material and TV and radio.

You are offered 1 hour in the exercise yard

I am aware of prisons in America that utilise dark practice SC - that is the use of light control to disorient the prisoner

But not 6 nights

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No-one disputes Solitary Confinement has the potential to send people insane

But not 72 hours and not in a Japanese SC cell

I lived in Japan working as a government translator for 2 years, which unfortunately I discovered not long into the job it included being assigned as a relief interpreter for western gaijin who found themselves interned in Fuchu Prison in Tokyo. I don’t think any normal Australian can quite grasp just how horrendous Japanese prisons actually are until they’ve been there and seen it with their own eyes, it is quite literally the stuff of nightmares. I’m not kidding or adding a bit of mayo for good story-telling effect either, forget Kerokoban, forget Abu Ghraib, you want to torture the soul of your accused then stick them in any run-of-the-mill Japanese prison. One would think being an well developed first world country with an advanced economy and civilised society their corrections system wouldn’t be any better nor worse than say Australia’s or even daresay the US’, but you’d be wrong - I’d compare it to something no s**t straight out of medieval times (maybe without the actual physical torture, mental however is another story!). So much so that it has been the subject of countless Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International reports and investigations, here’s a recent one in case anyone wants some light bedtime reading:
https://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/reports/JAPAN953.PDF

Honestly I don’t think I can describe in any more detail the horror in reality of what it’s like to step into Fuchu (where majority of foreigners who get arrested/imprisoned in Tokyo get held) as it might trigger some latent PTSD, but take it from someone who’s been there if even as an otherwise free person just doing their job, to be in solitary confinement for 6 days and nights would no doubt have been an incredibly traumatic experience, and I for one would not judge nor persecute Lake for feeling compelled to self-medicate by smashing his whole face into a pile of coke just like that movie, can’t remember the name of it the one with Robert De Niro...Scarface,I think that’s the one? In fact he should be presented with some kind of medal for bravery and valour having actually walked out of there and returned to their country and gone back to normal life without having gone on some kind of homicidal rampage in the meantime as a result of the trauma

to be in solitary confinement for 6 days and nights would no doubt have been an incredibly traumatic experience, and I for one would not judge nor persecute Lake for feeling compelled to self-medicate by smashing his whole face into a pile of coke just like that movie, can’t remember the name of it the one with Robert De Niro...Scarface,I think that’s the one? In fact he should be presented with some kind of medal for bravery and valour having actually walked out of there and returned to their country and gone back to normal life without having gone on some kind of homicidal rampage in the meantime as a result of the trauma

Right movie, wrong actor, you're after Al Pacino.

I don't doubt what you're saying, and no doubt it's traumatic, but it's not going to drive anyone 'insane' within 6 days unless there's an existing underlying condition.

Can it cause an anxiety disorder such as PSTD? I would think so, but that's a different thing than going insane (whatever that means in this context).

By all accounts Lakey had some issues well before his stint in the Japanese lockup anyway.

Not if you have kids, I would consider that a holiday

Brian Lake has always been a loose unit so he may have gone off the rails even without the stint in a Japanese prison.

The only thing worse than a Japanese prison is making someone watch AFLW

What about watching AFLW in a Japanese prison? Maybe that would be taking the punishment a bit too far.

I haven't read this thread, but I assume that I am going to be the first person to highlight this part of your post and cast doubt over the claim you are making here. As someone who has watched at least 6 episodes of House I think I am qualified to say that this statement is almost certainly false.

Any other amateur psychologists want to share their thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back