Play Nice Brian Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

Wayne Dwop

All Australian
Apr 16, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
ARR Locomotive #557 - Engine 557 Restoration Company Progress Report ...
Engine 557 Restoration Company

Jerry Cunnington has taken on the task of rebuilding the second mechanical Lubricator. Team effort is often called upon when these components undergo ...

Jerry-Cunnington.jpg

Jul 3, 2011
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man U, Jays, GS Warriors, Packers
One of the things that he does on a regular basis that I find really poor form and needs to be addressed is his abuse of umpires but in a very specific manner.

Regularly, sometimes several times a game, he will have a go at an umpire (often singling them out by their name) for enforcing a rule correctly that he doesn’t agree with.

If you don’t like the rule then that’s fine, he’ll tell us that 25,000 times a match that he doesn’t like it, but to have a go at an individual umpire by name who is enforcing that rule correctly is an absolute joke.

For example, he always has a go at umpires for enforcing the metre apart rule for ruckmen at stoppages around the ground and will go on an on about that umpire. But the umpire is enforcing the rule correctly.

So...his job is what?
To call the game. When he gets a couple of player names wrong though I just get on with my life because it's not really a big deal. He's a pretty good caller of the play in general imo. As I keep saying, he's not perfect but neither is anybody else and there are others who are far, far worse.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Although I could only watch the final quarter, I was flabbergasted by call. Taylor and McAvaney seemed to be on their best behavior and called the game straight. Bartel was his usual, but Ling, in that quarter at least seemed to adding a lot more content than his usual muzak cliches.
If any media execs are reading - more of the same please :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I'll go largely against the grain here and say that I love him calling, he makes me laugh, cringe, say wtf and all sorts of things in between. He is absolutely no good calling to an audience of people not overly familiar with the game but as a seasoned consumer of it, I've got no problems.

The other thing I think he's perfectly suited for is the Roaming Brian bit. He brings a bit of levity to the air, people seem to like having a quick chat and he doesn't take himself too seriously.

Is there anyone here old enough to remember Murray Walker calling the F1? Go and google some of his classics. He's considered a legend and was the voice of F1 for years.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
To call the game. When he gets a couple of player names wrong though I just get on with my life because it's not really a big deal. He's a pretty good caller of the play in general imo. As I keep saying, he's not perfect but neither is anybody else and there are others who are far, far worse.
Interesting. I think he is deplorable,immature, unprofessional and a narcissistic grandstander.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'll go largely against the grain here and say that I love him calling, he makes me laugh, cringe, say wtf and all sorts of things in between. He is absolutely no good calling to an audience of people not overly familiar with the game but as a seasoned consumer of it, I've got no problems.

The other thing I think he's perfectly suited for is the Roaming Brian bit. He brings a bit of levity to the air, people seem to like having a quick chat and he doesn't take himself too seriously.

Is there anyone here old enough to remember Murray Walker calling the F1? Go and google some of his classics. He's considered a legend and was the voice of F1 for years.
Please. Just don’t. Don’t compare a Great like Murray Walker to that Oaf. ******* hell!!

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Please. Just don’t. Don’t compare a Great like Murray Walker to that Oaf. ******* hell!!

Really? I loved Murray Walker he gave me a laugh and was very passionate about what he did, but technically speaking he was a pretty hopeless commentator.

Sep 18, 2007
On a 3-hour tour
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, Fighting Illini
Does anyone else think that Brian has a speech impediment?
He has trouble pronouncing some player names and instead uses his go to words like Orrrraaarrrzzzio and Lllllyyyyyyyod

I thought you were going to suggest that because he could not say some names, he just inserted other players’ identities. Not because he gets names wrong, just to keep the melodious flow of his commentary proceeding.

Another great call tonight. Love BT and Duck and McAvaney. I feel like Duck straightens up BT and BT straightens up McAvaney. The rest of them can * off. They're incidental. Your Richos and your Lingys. Just * off. We can do better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back