Brighton Homes Arena (The Reserve)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks to Johnny Banana for linking this thread.

But this article, made me actually think a bit more about where Springfield is in the context of Brisbane.

So I looked it up, and got the latest aerial images from Nearmaps. And I thought I would share.

25683920e580aa94ca0a738467d33713.jpg

25fa5bfcd63f076e14f4cf77baad0021.jpg

3abc8d56d0a98797a5460da9810fee09.jpg

50abf43555c6b8439bd28adf89f8e7ee.jpg

978286c6d6f29b401ca8f6cc4988ec0b.jpg

4a1ae5aedc0ecc9b9538b2ea3dd9554d.jpg

6525f4a966f1643fda2b760743401815.jpg

It’s right next to the train station and the shopping centre. But it is at the end of a spur line, and just seems so far away from anything, that it wouldn’t be good as a replacement for the GABBA whilst it gets redeveloped.

I assumed the QE2 would be involved in the juggling.

Not central, but holds about 50k, and used to host the Broncos, so public transport can't be too terrible. Currently has a running track, so the right shape (probably better than the Gabba currently is).

It's getting upgraded for the Olympics, too, but if they upgrade it at a different time to the Gabba, and save the running track for last, it could make an alternative venue.

Not central, but holds about 50k, and used to host the Broncos, so public transport can't be too terrible. Currently has a running track, so the right shape (probably better than the Gabba currently is).

It's getting upgraded for the Olympics, too, but if they upgrade it at a different time to the Gabba, and save the running track for last, it could make an alternative venue.
Only Buses serve the venue as well as the new Nissan Arena which is right next to it. The nearest railway station according to Google Maps is Altandi, 3km away though I am not sure of the terrain of the area. Theoretically it could be modified for for AFL (the Lions have used it in the past for training during the cricket season) but it might not be viable if it's only going to be used for 3 years while The Gabba is rebuilt. Springfield might come in handy for lower drawing teams like Fremantle and GWS but it might be too small for the likes of Richmond, Collingwood and Essendon when they visit

Only Buses serve the venue as well as the new Nissan Arena which is right next to it. The nearest railway station according to Google Maps is Altandi, 3km away though I am not sure of the terrain of the area. Theoretically it could be modified for for AFL (the Lions have used it in the past for training during the cricket season) but it might not be viable if it's only going to be used for 3 years while The Gabba is rebuilt. Springfield might come in handy for lower drawing teams like Fremantle and GWS but it might be too small for the likes of Richmond, Collingwood and Essendon when they visit

That sucks. Looks like neither the stadium or the arena are on the cards for the Olympics, so unlikely there'd by any transport improvements.

What are your thoughts on the Brisbane Showgrounds? Similar to the situation with GWS. It's about 25k, might be a bit short though.

Springfield would need some temporary seating even for the lower teams. I think it's only supposed to hold 10k.

What are your thoughts on the Brisbane Showgrounds? Similar to the situation with GWS. It's about 25k, might be a bit short though.
The local guys have pointed out that yes, it's short, but it's also constrained where it is. To actually extend it to be a decent AFL ground, you'd need to cantilever it over the motorway or the likes and that's pretty drastic for a stopgap solution.
Springfield would need some temporary seating even for the lower teams. I think it's only supposed to hold 10k.
It absolutely would need extra seating.

Not central, but holds about 50k, and used to host the Broncos, so public transport can't be too terrible.
Yes it can. The government simply didn't care about public transport in the 90s.

Currently has a running track, so the right shape (probably better than the Gabba currently is).
Probably best to view it in satellite maps first before making such statements. The field in the middle is rectangular so the stadium isn't wide enough. It's 125m in width from stand to stand whereas the Gabba is 150m.

They're not going to touch another Olympic venue, otherwise they'd need a third ground in 2032 itself.

The best option, but it could only take a very small stand on its southern side.

It's being built to easily install enough temporary seating to bring it to 25k.

To actually extend it to be a decent AFL ground, you'd need to cantilever it over the motorway or the likes and that's pretty drastic for a stopgap solution.
What motorway? I'll assume you mean Gregory Terrace. Yes it'll cost money, but there will be an ongoing use for it with the Ekka on every year. Such a prime location would attract someone else too after 2032. Maybe cricket when the Gabba is unusable, maybe Brisbane Roar, maybe the Reds if the rent of Suncorp Stadium gets too dear.

What motorway? I'll assume you mean Gregory Terrace. Yes it'll cost money, but there will be an ongoing use for it with the Ekka on every year. Such a prime location would attract someone else too after 2032. Maybe cricket when the Gabba is unusable, maybe Brisbane Roar, maybe the Reds if the rent of Suncorp Stadium gets too dear.
I'd mentally put it on the Inner City Bypass side of the showgrounds, oops. :D

Why do you need equal sized changerooms when the mens team needs 23 on gameday for a squad of 44 while the womens team needs 21 on gameday for a squad of 30?

Why do you need equal sized changerooms when the mens team needs 23 on gameday for a squad of 44 while the womens team needs 21 on gameday for a squad of 30?
a) does it matter?
b) you're assuming AFLW lists will remain the same size indefinitely.

a) does it matter?
b) you're assuming AFLW lists will remain the same size indefinitely.
A - Yes
B - Fair point, you can't predict that, so just assume there will be growth in list squads to where the mens team is currently at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did not know about this thread so will add some information
The Lions new Brighton Homes Arena is near completion
The go ahead for training on the ground has yet to be given but is not far away
All admin staff relocated to the new facility in November 2022
An open day for club members is planned for early December 2022
Quite a few workers still on site. The only obvious structure to be completed is the large TV screen

Below a recent night time drone image
Gym building & pool at bottom of screen
Going clockwise. To the left of the left light tower, is Lions elite sports centre
Curved building between light towers is the Community facilities. No pokies/gambling
Directly above that, and about 250 meters from the main entrance is Springfield Central Rail & Bus exchange with around 300 car parks
The grandstand
Large maintenance building (white roof)
The unfinished TV screen with The Hill grass area left and right of the TV screen

Three-tiered seating around the ground
3 car park zones. 2 shown in the image with the largest being across the road bottom right corner of image
To the left of image and about 350 meters away is a 6 months old, 5 level $44.5 million park & ride.

25966f24-3a82-4540-aedb-507a9bec2020-jpeg.1551992

Below image taken today from the time lapse camera on site
Gym, pool and light tower out of view

980x655_121801.jpg

Below image of newly completed park & ride building about 400 meters from the Lions entrance
attachment.aspx

Last edited:
Below taken from Stadiums Australia

Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield Central Stadium) is the new headquarters of the Brisbane Lions, located at Springfield in the City of Ipswich, west of Brisbane. Completed in November 2022, the 8,000-capacity boutique stadium featuring the Michael Voss Oval is the new home ground of the Brisbane Lions AFLW team and will host the 2022 AFLW Grand Final as its first ever game on November 27. The Lions Reserves who play in the second-tier VFL competition will also play at the ground, while it'll host pre-season AFL matches. The Lions will continue to play their AFL home games at the Gabba.

Brighton Homes Arena offers modern amenities for around 8,000 spectators, with a grandstand seating 600 people undercover and incorporating toilets and disabled seating. Lights allow for broadcast night matches to take place, while a LED video screen is located behind the goals. The public will enjoy access to a range of recreational facilities which will form part of the open community hub all-year round. Designed by Populous and built by Hutchinson, the complex also includes an elite indoor training facility, gymnasium, pool, childcare centre and an events lawn.

Springfield Central Stadium will be used for the Brisbane 2032 Olympic Games, with the Modern Pentathlon to be staged at the venue. In bid documents and videos, the venue had been referred to as Ipswich Stadium. It was also initially referred to as 'The Reserve Community Arena' by the Brisbane Lions before the naming-rights sponsorship with Brighton Homes was announced.

Brighton Homes Arena Details​

Address
60 Springfield Greenbank Arterial, Springfield QLD 4300
Capacity
Seats
600 (8% of capacity)
Highest Crowd since 2003

Lights Yes, Video Screen Yes, Arena Roof No.

Opened 2022

Former/Other Names: The Reserve Community Arena, Springfield Central Stadium, Ipswich Stadium, Michael Voss Oval

brighton-homes-arena-seating-map.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back