Strategy Bring Back Home Mattaes Phillipou

Remove this Banner Ad

Time will tell he told Sportsday SA just over a week ago “I’ve always been a guy that’s wanted to go to one club and have a long career there,”

“I’m happy to be coming to the Crows. I want to be an Adelaide player for the next 10-15 years.”

Jake Lever, 2014 Draft Night

I said it a couple of months ago and happy to be constantly reminded of it if I'm wrong, but I think he'll be the best of this draft class and it won't be particularly close.

I wonder what clubs would have made of 17 year old Nathan Buckleys confidence in himself?

in terms of Phillipou, my best guess is that there won’t be much middle ground.

Good luck to him, Lyon is a great coach and the blokes that played for him seem to love him to bits.

I wonder what clubs would have made of 17 year old Nathan Buckleys confidence in himself?

Good luck to him, Lyon is a great coach and the blokes that played for him seem to love him to bits.
Not everyone, Langdon hated him and has prospered at Melb

Weren't there attitude questions about him?

I thought its the opposite.

For a kid to perform at that level despite being a year younger than his competition would surely be a positive?
Toumpas....? And some highly touted underage has massively slide during their draft years so who's to say he wouldn't have done the same and that was always the risk and probably why he slide to 10 when he was considered a top 5 pick early this year.

Phillipou is an exceptionally hard worker, very driven and very coachable so I back him to succeed. There's obviously a difference between someone who is over confident and just reliant on natural talent compared to someone who is confident because of the work they are putting in.

He'll be entertaining on the field and off, I thought his interviews last night were great.

There's obviously a difference between someone who is over confident and just reliant on natural talent compared to someone who is confident because of the work they are putting in.

Excellent point. That’s preparation and dedication, knowing you’ve put yourself in the best place to succeed

Hope it works out for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9ilPzLOz.jpg

Youngest player in the draft and is already making Steele look small! And he's a midfielder

Toumpas....? And some highly touted underage has massively slide during their draft years so who's to say he wouldn't have done the same and that was always the risk and probably why he slide to 10 when he was considered a top 5 pick early this year.

Toumpas was the oldest kid in the top 20. If my memory serves correctly - he had an outstanding tournament right before the draft that shot him up the draft boards.

The Crows simply didn't rate him high enough, as they had him if they wanted him. I don't think they have rated him higher than the top dozen or so prospects next year. Time will tell if it was the right decision. By this time next year we'll have the player on our list the Crows rated higher.
Or you could say we rated rankine higher and so do I.

The Crows simply didn't rate him high enough, as they had him if they wanted him. I don't think they have rated him higher than the top dozen or so prospects next year. Time will tell if it was the right decision. By this time next year we'll have the player on our list the Crows rated higher.
Strange then they offered our 2023 1st and the Roos 2023 2nd we hold to Essendon if that was the case

Strange then they offered our 2023 1st and the Roos 2023 2nd we hold to Essendon if that was the case
I would be staggered if that was the case and would completely lose faith in Reid and co if that is true.

They could've reasonably said "our 2022 1st rounder is off the table" in negotiations for Rankine and had the best of both worlds.

If there is any regret amongst the Crows staff that run the show about not having Phillipou on our list this morning, they should hand back their pay cheque and find a new job.

Or you could say we rated rankine higher and so do I.
That would be the case if we went to the last day of the trade week and finally folded at the last minute, but Reid came out at 5 minutes to on the first day proclaiming pick 5 was already Gold Coast's. Rankine could have still been priority one, but everything the Crows did suggests a 2023 1st Rounder was better to keep than the pick we had, which virtually guaranteed Phillipou, or at worst Tsatas, Humphries or trading out.

I would be staggered if that was the case and would completely lose faith in Reid and co if that is true.

They could've reasonably said "our 2022 1st rounder is off the table" in negotiations for Rankine and had the best of both worlds.

If there is any regret amongst the Crows staff that run the show about not having Phillipou on our list this morning, they should hand back their pay cheque and find a new job.
Then you are staggered I'm afraid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back