News Izak Rankine, Gold coast holding Rankine to Ransom- #FreeIzak

What will be the trade with the Suns? (Crows posters only, NO opposition supporters)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what people were saying about Eddie

And potentially it has been a waste of resources seeing how little premiership sides have relied on small forwards offensive production (only 1 premier in the past 10 years has had a small kick more then 35 goals). That said, we're lucky that Eddie has only ever cost us salary space, had massive payoff elsewhere, and even then was only ~ 100k off the mean salary. Easily some of the best business this club has ever done despite that initial complaint.

Rankine however will completely blow the Eddie deal out of the water, and I wouldn't pay what it is going to cost for Rankine for a young Eddie, even with the benefit of hindsight. That'll be a price where he has to be a star midfielder to justify it, no ifs, no buts.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
And potentially it has been a waste of resources seeing how little premiership sides have relied on small forwards offensive production (only 1 premier in the past 10 years has had a small kick more then 35 goals). That said, we're lucky that Eddie has only ever cost us salary space, had massive payoff elsewhere, and even then was only ~ 100k off the mean salary. Easily some of the best business this club has ever done despite that initial complaint.

Rankine however will completely blow the Eddie deal out of the water, and I wouldn't pay what it is going to cost for Rankine for a young Eddie, even with the benefit of hindsight. That'll be a price where he has to be a star midfielder to justify it, no ifs, no buts.
The difference between us and those sides is since losing Roo, Macca, Edwards etc we're never going to have a really classy midfield because we won't have the picks and drawing power to get them.

We'll have more of a grunt midfield, good extractors but questionable spenders, so the question then is what is it worth to have a mercurial small forward who can turn nothing entries into goals on a regular basis?

I don't think crows fans are ready to go back to having second rate small forwards. We've seen the difference forward class makes to us.

If we can get brilliant mids then brilliant forwards probably aren't so crucial. But if not, then brilliant forwards are the next best way to kick goals.

StickerMan

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Norwood,
I don't know his exact motivations. I can only guess he wasn't happy it happened and/or wasn't happy with the follow up response to the players not liking it. All it did was cause the issue to never end though.
I can't imagine him and Burton would have gotten on that well.

Birdman comes across as pretty arrogant and wouldn't have much time for Tate given his lack of decent playing credentials.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The difference between us and those sides is since losing Roo, Macca, Edwards etc we're never going to have a really classy midfield because we won't have the picks and drawing power to get them.

We'll have more of a grunt midfield, good extractors but questionable spenders, so the question then is what is it worth to have a mercurial small forward who can turn nothing entries into goals on a regular basis?

I don't think crows fans are ready to go back to having second rate small forwards. We've seen the difference forward class makes to us.

If we can get brilliant mids then brilliant forwards probably aren't so crucial. But if not, then brilliant forwards are the next best way to kick goals.

I disagree, classy midfields aren't consigned to the top 5 picks, nor we don't have the drawing power for them (Gibbs). That said, naturally, it comes down to drafting for the right traits, development, good structures and luck. I would argue we're beginning to get the pieces for a very classy midfield together seeing Milera, Jones, and Gallucci are all long term midfielders. Equally, Roo and Edwards were much more brutish then seriously classy (not to say they didn't have class about them). Mind you, you've hit the nail on the head as to why the expectation would be on Rankine to be that, picks and drawing power. For the price we'd have to pay, it would be the only way we'd be able to get a good return on it.

What is it worth - difficult to say, not as much as most people would argue I feel, seeing small forwards are really a defensive position first and foremost, and to have someone who can create something out of nothing is really a luxury. It's never going to be something which will bridge a gap however seeing it is rather unreliable and because of that isn't worth a lot of investment into. On that note, i'm decently excited about Stengle, whilst I seriously doubt he'll be as good as Betts, that boy has bit about him.

Crows fans probably won't, but when has it mattered if we can or can't go back? You certainly don't waste what will end up being a top 3 pick, or two firsts + easily 700k per year to try and replace a small forward (And that is what we are staring down the barrel currently with Rankine). That's bad list management.

Goals aren't the be all and end all either. If you can't have a powerful midfield, the next best step is to try to bridge the gap defensively, and negate.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
I disagree, classy midfields aren't consigned to the top 5 picks, nor we don't have the drawing power for them (Gibbs).

Gibbs has done three fifths of fcuk all since coming over. He came home to raise sproglets, not because we have drawing power.

In fact Gibbs' career is a clear indicator that we lack drawing power compared to Melbourne-based clubs, even the shittest of them.

I would argue we're beginning to get the pieces for a very classy midfield together seeing Milera, Jones, and Gallucci are all long term midfielders.

This is all incredibly optimistic and seeing far into the future. Even if they all morph into elite mids we will still have 2-3 years to cover without Eddie turning water into wine at the goalfront.

What is it worth - difficult to say, not as much as most people would argue I feel, seeing small forwards are really a defensive position first and foremost, and to have someone who can create something out of nothing is really a luxury.

The bolded is what you would pay Rankine for. The rest is Petrenko

i'm decently excited about Stengle, whilst I seriously doubt he'll be as good as Betts, that boy has bit about him.

Never fired a shot at Richmond. We picked him up for pick 68. See: Petrenko.

Goals aren't the be all and end all either.

In a game decided by goals, they certainly help.

Gibbs has done three fifths of fcuk all since coming over. He came home to raise sproglets, not because we have drawing power.

In fact Gibbs' career is a clear indicator that we lack drawing power compared to Melbourne-based clubs, even the shittest of them.

There is a lot of truth to this. Gibbs had the chance to comfortably come to us as FA years ago and choose not to. Whats worse is that his decision came at a time when the Blues were celebrating being the shittest team in Victoria.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I disagree, classy midfields aren't consigned to the top 5 picks, nor we don't have the drawing power for them (Gibbs). That said, naturally, it comes down to drafting for the right traits, development, good structures and luck. I would argue we're beginning to get the pieces for a very classy midfield together seeing Milera, Jones, and Gallucci are all long term midfielders. Equally, Roo and Edwards were much more brutish then seriously classy (not to say they didn't have class about them). Mind you, you've hit the nail on the head as to why the expectation would be on Rankine to be that, picks and drawing power. For the price we'd have to pay, it would be the only way we'd be able to get a good return on it.

What is it worth - difficult to say, not as much as most people would argue I feel, seeing small forwards are really a defensive position first and foremost, and to have someone who can create something out of nothing is really a luxury. It's never going to be something which will bridge a gap however seeing it is rather unreliable and because of that isn't worth a lot of investment into. On that note, i'm decently excited about Stengle, whilst I seriously doubt he'll be as good as Betts, that boy has bit about him.

Crows fans probably won't, but when has it mattered if we can or can't go back? You certainly don't waste what will end up being a top 3 pick, or two firsts + easily 700k per year to try and replace a small forward (And that is what we are staring down the barrel currently with Rankine). That's bad list management.

Goals aren't the be all and end all either. If you can't have a powerful midfield, the next best step is to try to bridge the gap defensively, and negate.
Don't look at rankine as being a small forward for his whole career..when he gets his AFL tank he has elite outside mid written all over him with his speed, evasiveness and incredible skillset. I see him as future andy mcleod type

This is all incredibly optimistic and seeing far into the future. Even if they all morph into elite mids we will still have 2-3 years to cover without Eddie turning water into wine at the goalfront.

The bolded is what you would pay Rankine for. The rest is Petrenko

Never fired a shot at Richmond. We picked him up for pick 68. See: Petrenko.

In a game decided by goals, they certainly help.

25.9 disps/5.1 cl/420 m gained is * all? Especially in a side that dropped off a cliff We got production akin to what we paid for from Gibbs. A structural piece to strengthen the midfield who has some class.

All development predictions are highly optimistic. Mind you three first round picks moving to the midfield is certainly on the lesser side of that. Plus the tools are there as all three are quick, agile and good disposers of a football which are the main variables to a classy midfielder.

We simply don't need to like for like replace Eddie at all. It'd be nice, but he is firmly a luxury as the last 10 years has taught us about small forward offensively producing. Focus more on defensive pressure. It'll be less fun to watch but will give the same if not better results, especially for a lot cheaper.

Petrenko was drafted 6-9 years too early. He'd be a 200 gamer if he was drafted now as we've all truly begun to realise that defensive pressure is the most important aspect a small forward provides.

Plus Betts was a rookie pick if you want to go down that path with Stengle. There is enough to indicate a ceiling decently high offensive production there for Stengle from his VFL form, and small forward being specialized enough of a position n bthat the gap between VFL and AFL is tiny.

Oh they help, but games are mainly decided by midfield strength, structures and pressure not pure scoring power. Paying big collateral because he scores goals without being a KPF is really dumb because it hits none of those three key variables. Small forward mainly offer pressure to a structure and you can do that very cheaply.

If you pay for Rankine. It has to help with midfield power. Otherwise you've just pissed away an opportunity to truly strengthen.

Don't look at rankine as being a small forward for his whole career..when he gets his AFL tank he has elite outside mid written all over him with his speed, evasiveness and incredible skillset. I see him as future andy mcleod type

Oh my problem isn't what Rankine will develop into. My problem is people wanting to piss away a lot of collateral to replace a small forward. Rankine would have to become that elite outside mid for us to break even if we made a deal for him in the next 2 years.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Oh my problem isn't what Rankine will develop into. My problem is people wanting to piss away a lot of collateral to replace a small forward. Rankine would have to become that elite outside mid for us to break even if we made a deal for him in the next 2 years.
I think he is already a sure thing if you look at how his junior career tracked and how he has already caught the eye on the GC. If it cost us the Carlton 1st to get him this year I would do it in a heartbeat unless he gets struck down with terrible injury. He is going to be a superstar of the comp and the earlier we could get him the better. Absolute elite end quality does not grow on trees

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan
This is a fantasy thread. We never seem to entice SA players back unlike the Vic clubs with Vic kids. Gibbs came back on massive overs considering his age. We needed him in his prime. Betts was a bargain in hindsight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
This is a fantasy thread. We never seem to entice SA players back unlike the Vic clubs with Vic kids. Gibbs came back on massive overs considering his age. We needed him in his prime. Betts was a bargain in hindsight.
How many 20-22 year olds do you know that want to move back to Adelaide after being in Victoria for 2-4 years?

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Cyril says hi.

The difference is it took Richmond 3 guys (Catangna, Butler, Rioli) and West Coast 2 in (Ryan & Rioli) to do what Cyril did.

They cant be just defensive forwards they have to be dangerous as well and it helps if ones surname is Rioli.

I actually think we've got it right with Stengle, McAdam, McHenry along with Betts & Knight and ridiculously cheaply.

Stengle is a bargain, don't let the price fool you.

I wouldn't think small forward needs to be talked about for close to a decade and with pick 1 or 2 this year mids should be sorted as well.
MCrouch, BCrouch, Milera, Knight, Jones, McHenry & Rowell or Anderson with Gallucci bringing up the rear.

Lukosius is the one I'd be aiming for in 2-3 years. he just offers so much versatility.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
Rankine is more important to us than Lukosius in terms of getting onto the list as soon as possible, but if Luko bombs development wise up in GC then he'll come alot cheaper.

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan
How many 20-22 year olds do you know that want to move back to Adelaide after being in Victoria for 2-4 years?
That's my point. Too uh to offer over there compared to Adelaide. They can set up a player for life with more opportunities.

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rankine is more important to us than Lukosius in terms of getting onto the list as soon as possible, but if Luko bombs development wise up in GC then he'll come alot cheaper.
Not sure how when we only have Fogarty and Himmelberg as potential forwards vs the plethora of mids and small forwards.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Not sure how when we only have Fogarty and Himmelberg as potential forwards vs the plethora of mids and small forwards.
Jordan Butts whilst we probably had defence more in mind when we drafted him played quite a bit up forward for the Murray Bushrangers especially last season and played up forward kicking 2 goals in the Shepparton Bears 2018 A grade Grand Final win in the Goulburn Valley Football League. He's definitely capable at both ends.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
A good percentage of those cases (IMO) would be because that can't really move back because the job opportunities are not there (or not as good) for them to move back but they otherwise would for family/lifestyle reasons. Footballers that we would want to bring back would not have that barrier.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Jordan Butts whilst we probably had defence more in mind when we drafted him played quite a bit up forward for the Murray Bushrangers especially last season and played up forward kicking 2 goals in the Shepparton Bears 2018 A grade Grand Final win in the Goulburn Valley Football League. He's definitely capable at both ends.

He kicked two goals in the Goulburn Valley Football League? That's not much of a CV.

LC40

Club Legend
Oct 14, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
He kicked two goals in the Goulburn Valley Football League? That's not much of a CV.
A bit tough how old is he? A young bloke preforming against men in a senior grand final is still a good effort, country footballers do not give an inch when a premiership is on the line. Bloody tough football at times.
He shows a bit!

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Also played 2 games in the VFL for Werribee, one against the Hawks VFL team where my recollection is he spent time on the AFL listed Tim O'Brien and his intercept marking [10] was a feature on the day ultimately making the best players. I'd suggest we had a scout at that game late in the season as we had been tracking him throughout the previous 2 seasons and that effort may have sold us on taking him on as development rookie.

http://websites.sportstg.com/round_...24984148&client=1-3020-111709-477473-26138801

Last edited:

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
A bit tough how old is he? A young bloke preforming against men in a senior grand final is still a good effort, country footballers do not give an inch when a premiership is on the line. Bloody tough football at times.
He shows a bit!
With a December 31 birthday he was the youngest player in the in the 2017 Draft and if he'd been born a day later he'd have been eligible for the 2018 draft and likely the reason he was overlooked by some clubs the 1st time round. Lachie Murphy was another with a December birthday that missed out in his original draft year, Birth dates are often overlooked and underrated when assessing draftees, especially developing young talls like Butts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back