News Izak Rankine, Gold coast holding Rankine to Ransom- #FreeIzak

What will be the trade with the Suns? (Crows posters only, NO opposition supporters)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't need kpf's, we need crumbing forwards.

We really don't need KPFs to be honest. Fogarty and TT you can build a premiership team around.

We desperately need better small forwards and premium midfielders.

We need better small forwards, but we are not as desperate for those as we are for premium midfielders.

I have huge hopes for RT and I haven't given up on Fog being a gun KPF, but both are nowhere near nailed on certainties to be our solution to the KPF piece of the puzzle. I don't think we need to use early draft picks on a KPF in the next two drafts, but we are still short of one.

My comment was,

IF..... we finish bottom
AND IF..... we are willing to actually use that

We force an uncontracted player through the draft without offering up a draft pick (i.e., PSD) by paying them a bigger contract than we have ever paid that type of player before... that type of player can only be a KPF or a premium mid

I doubt our club would ever do that even if there was a victorian willing to do that... It would require going off policy. Recognising being bottom is an opportunity to beat the equalisation system, but it will reduce your TPP in the short term to do that. Works for us cause most of our TPP is going to older players that we shouldn't be keeping anyway (Crouch, Talia, Lynch).

Dawson has been good but the Swans best player has been Callum Mills (midfielder) I would have thought?
You could make a fair case, true.

I think Champion Data (or someone) had it as Dawson in an article this week. Maybe it was coaches votes.

Anyway - purely subjective, and Mills has been excellent.

LOL Kristof pulling $200K out of his nether regions is hardly something to pin your hopes on.
Fair enough.

What do you think Swans can afford? And what could we?

Fair enough.

What do you think Swans can afford? And what could we?
That's really not relevant, what's his true worth to either team is what's relevant and the $750K I've seen bandied about I think can be better spent on an area of real need.....midfield.

The priority right now is mids, nothing else.
Until we have a midfield, everything else is cart before the horse.

For our 1st pick, definitely. Would be downright negligent to put it anywhere else.

2nds onwards, there is probably merit trying for a small forward seeing that's the other standout need. I wouldn't be adverse to go for another key forward either, if we're not willing to commit to McAsey.

That's really not relevant, what's his true worth to either team is what's relevant and the $750K I've seen bandied about I think can be better spent on an area of real need.....midfield.
I wonder whether the club sees the midfield as the problem area that we do?

Given that we've gone tall defender & tall forward with our last two earliest picks and haven't really worried about midfield minutes for our newbies. I know best player available and all that but maybe they're internally happier with our midfield than we are

We really don't need KPFs to be honest. Fogarty and TT you can build a premiership team around.

We desperately need better small forwards and premium midfielders.

Until we've got some class in our midfield it's hard to even be certain we need better small forwards.

Given that we've gone tall defender & tall forward with our last two earliest picks and haven't really worried about midfield minutes for our newbies. I know best player available and all that but maybe they're internally happier with our midfield than we are
Pretty sure they are delighted.

They've managed to carve out a midfield with great numbers out of nothing. They can point to the stats all day and say see, we told you so.

If Crouch wasn't injured all year I doubt we'd have seen any minutes spent on Schoey and Berry or Seed, who was 4th banana earlier in the year. There's zero appetite to play anyone else outside of the gap between the main 3's TOG % and the full requirements of the rotation. The gap is eliminated when we're back to 4 and that's as deep as we want to run a midfield.

Personally I think it's locked in as is until Sloane retires. If Crouch re-signs, even a top 3 selected mid will wait out retirement or injury playing at half forward or developing in the SANFL. Even then there's doubt the minutes won't first go to a Seed type that is earlier in line due to time served. You know, time to get a look at Brown or Kelly at the stoppages. I've seen Dmac at stoppages this year again. It's obscene.

If Crouch wasn't injured all year I doubt we'd have seen any minutes spent on Schoey and Berry or Seed, who was 4th banana earlier in the year. There's zero appetite to play anyone else outside of the gap between the main 3's TOG % and the full requirements of the rotation. The gap is eliminated when we're back to 4 and that's as deep as we want to run a midfield.

Personally I think it's locked in as is until Sloane retires. If Crouch re-signs, even a top 3 selected mid will wait out retirement or injury playing at half forward or developing in the SANFL. Even then there's doubt the minutes won't first go to a Seed type that is earlier in line due to time served. You know, time to get a look at Brown or Kelly at the stoppages. I've seen Dmac at stoppages this year again. It's obscene.
Agree...
Let's hope the summer is a time to reevaluate and get the kids applying the pressure to force the issue.
I have faith our mid field will evolve but I'm not privy to the internal pace of this.
But like many on here, it's frustrating as it appears slow.

Have you ever had a job that looked easy enough but once you got started, you realise it's much more complicated than you expected? My suspicion is that without knowing the inner workings of the individuals, there might be more to it than simply "throwing the kids in".
Thoughts anyone?

We need better small forwards, but we are not as desperate for those as we are for premium midfielders.

I have huge hopes for RT and I haven't given up on Fog being a gun KPF, but both are nowhere near nailed on certainties to be our solution to the KPF piece of the puzzle. I don't think we need to use early draft picks on a KPF in the next two drafts, but we are still short of one.

My comment was,

IF..... we finish bottom
AND IF..... we are willing to actually use that

We force an uncontracted player through the draft without offering up a draft pick (i.e., PSD) by paying them a bigger contract than we have ever paid that type of player before... that type of player can only be a KPF or a premium mid

I doubt our club would ever do that even if there was a victorian willing to do that... It would require going off policy. Recognising being bottom is an opportunity to beat the equalisation system, but it will reduce your TPP in the short term to do that. Works for us cause most of our TPP is going to older players that we shouldn't be keeping anyway (Crouch, Talia, Lynch).
Not arguing we need quality mids. Was replying to your comment regarding ooc kpf's. Yes it would be nice to have a decent one pushing for selection but priority must be small forwards before kpf's. Definitely would not trade a high draft pick on one though. Absolutely need mids, quality mids.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For our 1st pick, definitely. Would be downright negligent to put it anywhere else.

2nds onwards, there is probably merit trying for a small forward seeing that's the other standout need. I wouldn't be adverse to go for another key forward either, if we're not willing to commit to McAsey.
We signed McAsey to a contract extension?

Or did you mean as forward v defender?

The priority right now is mids, nothing else.
Until we have a midfield, everything else is cart before the horse.
Midfield building blocks are in place ....this Draft will complete the midfield rebuild

But we desperately need a class small pressure fwd in the mould of Betts .....will be a 2nd - 3rd round pick

Midfield building blocks are in place ....this Draft will complete the midfield rebuild

But we desperately need a class small pressure fwd in the mould of Betts .....will be a 2nd - 3rd round pick
Wow that's a strong comment... "mid field building blocks are in place and one more draft and we're done". I hope you're right but it doesn't feel like we're anywhere near that stage.
I wonder if the doggies board thought they had a midfield ready to challenge...and Bevo said "almost done. Just need 6 more".
Their midfield depth is crazy!

Wow that's a strong comment... "mid field building blocks are in place and one more draft and we're done". I hope you're right but it doesn't feel like we're anywhere near that stage.
I wonder if the doggies board thought they had a midfield ready to challenge...and Bevo said "almost done. Just need 6 more".
Their midfield depth is crazy!
You have to remember that most coming through are only in their 1st or 2nd year ......Jones and McHenry are into their 3rd year, but still only have played 35 & 26 games respectively

So you simply can't compare the Bulldogs MIDS to ours ....plus there's still unknown mid quality players; Hately, O'Connor, Jones, and even Cook ....who are too early to judge

Add another quality Mid this Draft ....maybe 2 of the 3 picks being Mids ...and I'm happy to stick to my comment

You have to remember that most coming through are only in their 1st or 2nd year ......Jones and McHenry are into their 3rd year, but still only have played 35 & 26 games respectively

So you simply can't compare the Bulldogs MIDS to ours ....plus there's still unknown mid quality players; Hately, O'Connor, Jones, and even Cook ....who are too early to judge

Add another quality Mid this Draft ....maybe 2 of the 3 picks being Mids ...and I'm happy to stick to my comment
Stick with it. You might end up being right. My point was about the assumption that we get a midfield out of our current prospects. I just felt it was an early call.
...but I like it... 😉

Stick with it. You might end up being right. My point was about the assumption that we get a midfield out of our current prospects. I just felt it was an early call.
...but I like it... 😉
My POV ....we're short a big bodied Mid and a linebreaking, elite finishing mid .....whether Milera can be that latter type of mid TWT ....he's just gotta get back to playing regular AFL first

My POV ....we're short a big bodied Mid and a linebreaking, elite finishing mid .....whether Milera can be that latter type of mid TWT ....he's just gotta get back to playing regular AFL first
Isn't Hinge a potential bigger mid? That's a name most on here seem to have forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back