News Izak Rankine, Gold coast holding Rankine to Ransom- #FreeIzak

What will be the trade with the Suns? (Crows posters only, NO opposition supporters)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he is already a sure thing if you look at how his junior career tracked and how he has already caught the eye on the GC. If it cost us the Carlton 1st to get him this year I would do it in a heartbeat unless he gets struck down with terrible injury. He is going to be a superstar of the comp and the earlier we could get him the better. Absolute elite end quality does not grow on trees

Nothing is ever a sure thing, seeing all sports are littered with can't miss prospects, who well miss. Though, I agree the earlier the better, as us having more control of his development is a good thing.

Cyril says hi.

The difference is it took Richmond 3 guys (Catangna, Butler, Rioli) and West Coast 2 in (Ryan & Rioli) to do what Cyril did.

They cant be just defensive forwards they have to be dangerous as well and it helps if ones surname is Rioli.

I actually think we've got it right with Stengle, McAdam, McHenry along with Betts & Knight and ridiculously cheaply.

Stengle is a bargain, don't let the price fool you.

I wouldn't think small forward needs to be talked about for close to a decade and with pick 1 or 2 this year mids should be sorted as well.
MCrouch, BCrouch, Milera, Knight, Jones, McHenry & Rowell or Anderson with Gallucci bringing up the rear.

Lukosius is the one I'd be aiming for in 2-3 years. he just offers so much versatility.

Richmond completely disagree with you. Those three small forwards were all defensive smalls (Richmond approximately the same offensive output out of Jack Riewoldt as they did their entire small forward contingent). Equally, it was not about doing what Cyril did. It was primarily about shutting down the opposition ball movement (in which a lot of it starts in the back 50), which Richmond did to a damn effective level. There is nothing sexy about it at all, damn effective though.

Though, I agree with us having it right from how I see it. Especially if you get some midfield rotations out of that lot seeing it'll up the overall amount of pressure we can force on the opponent. Something that'll help immensely with any premiership assault.

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nothing is ever a sure thing, seeing all sports are littered with can't miss prospects, who well miss. Though, I agree the earlier the better, as us having more control of his development is a good thing.

Richmond completely disagree with you. Those three small forwards were all defensive smalls (Richmond approximately the same offensive output out of Jack Riewoldt as they did their entire small forward contingent). Equally, it was not about doing what Cyril did. It was primarily about shutting down the opposition ball movement (in which a lot of it starts in the back 50), which Richmond did to a damn effective level. There is nothing sexy about it at all, damn effective though.

Though, I agree with us having it right from how I see it. Especially if you get some midfield rotations out of that lot seeing it'll up the overall amount of pressure we can force on the opponent. Something that'll help immensely with any premiership assault.

They kick 30, 26 and 25 goals respectively to be their 3rd, 4th and 5th leading goal kickers. They didn't rate that high in tackle numbers and even Nankervis laid more.

Anyway my point is a dangerous forward is worth more than just a pure defensive

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Jordan Butts whilst we probably had defence more in mind when we drafted him played quite a bit up forward for the Murray Bushrangers especially last season and played up forward kicking 2 goals in the Shepparton Bears 2018 A grade Grand Final win in the Goulburn Valley Football League. He's definitely capable at both ends.

I deliberately didn't include him because our KPD stocks are even more fragile and think he will be needed down there 1st.
We only have 5 KPP over 195cm and Butts and Himmelberg being the only guys under 27.

I agree i think he could be one of those unique guys that could play a multiple of roles with his athleticism.

This is a fantasy thread. We never seem to entice SA players back unlike the Vic clubs with Vic kids. Gibbs came back on massive overs considering his age. We needed him in his prime. Betts was a bargain in hindsight.
I get the feeling these two will end up like Gold Coast versions of Matthew Pavlich.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Is this thread becoming a bit of a bummer to anyone else too? Every time I see it now it just highlights the fact that we did not get my draft crush!

Not sure I can handle that for a year/years/potentially full careers

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Luko has 1 possession almost half time in the JLT game ..... Bicks what we raised during the Draft re his lack of contested marking is starting to count

Commentators are saying Luko prefers to lead for his balls, and he's not getting those opportunities & has no plan B ......Yet !

Sep 5, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Luko has 1 possession almost half time in the JLT game ..... Bicks what we raised during the Draft re his lack of contested marking is starting to count

Commentators are saying Luko prefers to lead for his balls, and he's not getting those opportunities & has no plan B ......Yet !
Practicing his tanking

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Crow_68

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Looked lost out there .....at the Crows, he'd be playing SANFL all year ......these bottom clubs **** young players

Correct weight.

Raw talent will only take you so far in the early years of an AFL career. You need those experienced on-field leaders to teach you the ins and outs of the game. GC have none.

It would not surprise me if players such as Caldwell, Hately, Jones, Rozee and co. go past Rankine & Luko very quickly.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just looked at the stats of the GC game.

GC won the hit outs 64 to 18. Sydney didnt even play a ruckman other than Alir Alir? That cant be right surely.

Rankine with zero tackles is the stat that should ring alarm bells. Somebody said Luko only had 1 possession till half time. So 2 goals and 12 touches in the second half is quite a good return.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Just looked at the stats of the GC game.

GC won the hit outs 64 to 18. Sydney didnt even play a ruckman other than Alir Alir? That cant be right surely.

Rankine with zero tackles is the stat that should ring alarm bells. Somebody said Luko only had 1 possession till half time. So 2 goals and 12 touches in the second half is quite a good return.
I think Luko had 2 DT points almost 3/3 time .....it's hard when you're the go to player in U18's ...to "who are you" ? in seniors

Squiba

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bit rich to be doubting the projection or development of luko or rankine just yet.

They've shown plenty in their time in jlt, playing primarily as forwards in a team which lacks great supply. If any of our young lads looked that good we would be raving about them, and really only Jones has made anywhere near the impression those two already have.

I like our boys but don't take away from the supreme talents luko and rankine are.

Correct weight.

Raw talent will only take you so far in the early years of an AFL career. You need those experienced on-field leaders to teach you the ins and outs of the game. GC have none.

It would not surprise me if players such as Caldwell, Hately, Jones, Rozee and co. go past Rankine & Luko very quickly.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Even more importantly, you need good structures an a working game plan to develop players. After all, it's much easier to learn a minor role in a side then try to play in a style that doesn't work. That s**t destroys confidence and ruins talent.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane

The best contested marks in the AFL only do it twice a game. It's irrelevant, next to actually outworking your opponent and getting maybe a dozen marks a game. Having to be a contested mark means you're probably not getting seperation.

The best contested marks in the AFL only do it twice a game. It's irrelevant, next to actually outworking your opponent and getting maybe a dozen marks a game. Having to be a contested mark means you're probably not getting seperation.

I wouldn't call it irrelevant despite that point, seeing it does give you a weapon in a worse case scenario, and one that has the potential to be a match winning weapon on the very rare occasion. That said not being a good contested mark certainly won't harm a key forward career.

Far out hasn't played a game yet let's give him a game at least

To be fair, nothing there isn't false. It's incredibly rare that a first year player stars at this level (happens of course) so to state he is someway off is a safe assumption. Also it's guaranteed he'd develop better in an environment like Adelaide compared to Gold Coast. All top line prospects would just due to entering into a side with a well defined game plan, and who is well drilled.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
To be fair, nothing there isn't false. It's incredibly rare that a first year player stars at this level (happens of course) so to state he is someway off is a safe assumption. Also it's guaranteed he'd develop better in an environment like Adelaide compared to Gold Coast. All top line prospects would just due to entering into a side with a well defined game plan, and who is well drilled.
Yeah of course but let's wait until he plays an actual game or 10. Posters here also wanted to write off Milera prematurely.

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
The grind begins for Rankine. Was the hammy bad luck or is it that he's at a club with poor resourcing and fitness guys? Does the club have poor management across the board? The offloading Jared Lyons effort is looking dumber by the day.

The grind begins for Rankine. Was the hammy bad luck or is it that he's at a club with poor resourcing and fitness guys? Does the club have poor management across the board? The offloading Jared Lyons effort is looking dumber by the day.

To be fair to Gold Coast, offloading Jarred Lyons has no relevance to them losing Rankine to an injury. They're not competing for the same positions after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back