News Izak Rankine, Gold coast holding Rankine to Ransom- #FreeIzak

What will be the trade with the Suns? (Crows posters only, NO opposition supporters)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rankine signing on is a disaster.

It'll teach our club that if you want quality, you can't just sit around expecting it to fall in your lap

Actually who am I kidding we never learn anything

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
It'll teach our club that if you want quality, you can't just sit around expecting it to fall in your lap

Actually who am I kidding we never learn anything

Carlton's 1st pick this year pretty much fell in our lap, and I expect we'll get some quality with that :D

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think it’s Adelaide who needs to apologise. If you’d let us beat you just once, the AFL could argue that the Suns have shown to be competitive by beating every side on at least one occasion, but no you have to smash us every time we play. It’s a bad look for the game ;)
I think we be in hot water - very hot water - if we did that this year.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
This week can’t get any worse for the AFC. They don’t even know the damage they are doing to their fan base. It’s embarrassing.

Most of their fan base is completely oblivious. They've taken some s**t from Port supporters at work, their a bit pissed off that Gibbs isn't getting a game - but they're not obsessives on BigFooty. One good win and 95% of the fan base will feel the same level of satisfaction as they felt following the GWS win.

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Please don’t underestimate our level of s**tness. We are cooked and traditionally you never let us touch the ball. We’d treat a 3 goal loss as a win!!

Never before have we had as much on the line in a game against Gold Coast as we do this week. If we let you belt us (although after last week, I don't know if it would be a matter of "letting" you, or if it'll just happen naturally), it could be a win-win. You guys get the monkey off your back, and by helping you off the bottom of the ladder, we're back in the box seat for pick 1 in the draft.

BMartin 3Votes

Debutant
Feb 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
He’d be worth Pick 19.

Unfortunately Gold Coast don't have their 2nd Round Pick. Brisbane has it.
GC currently has 1, 15, 49 in the first 3 rounds.
15 is tied to Brisbane's finish on the ladder (Brisbane 1st round 2019 for Pick 19 2018)
49 is tied to Richmond's finish on the ladder. Richmond has their 3rd (Ellis and Miles Deal).

No wonder they are asking for PP. End of First Round would give them back Pick 19.

Most of their fan base is completely oblivious. They've taken some s**t from Port supporters at work, their a bit pissed off that Gibbs isn't getting a game - but they're not obsessives on BigFooty. One good win and 95% of the fan base will feel the same level of satisfaction as they felt following the GWS win.

They aren't oblivious. Maybe a few years ago. But looking on typically positive social media platforms like Facebook and your average supporter is pissed off

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Never before have we had as much on the line in a game against Gold Coast as we do this week. If we let you belt us (although after last week, I don't know if it would be a matter of "letting" you, or if it'll just happen naturally), it could be a win-win. You guys get the monkey off your back, and by helping you off the bottom of the ladder, we're back in the box seat for pick 1 in the draft.
... which we'll be stripped of.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Well since you put it that way, may the worst team win :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Luko is gettable. Club should look at a trade that involves Greenwood, Knight, Gibbs, Atkins. Those experienced bodies are exactly what gold coast needs, not 18 year old kids.

We grow our own potatoes up here, don’t need your spuds ;)

mickfaxis

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Young players signing on is not good for Gold Coast who are asking for #1 pick compo.

They should've waited until their proposal was accepted or vetoed before announcing this signing.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Young players signing on is not good for Gold Coast who are asking for #1 pick compo.

They should've waited until their proposal was accepted or vetoed before announcing this signing.
They have no chance of number 1 pick compo anyway tbh. Afl knows they need players aged 24 to 28 to steady the ship. They likely have pick 1 and we will likely have pick 2. If GC were smart they would trade pick 1 to us for a whole raft of players to improve them instantly. Players of the like of Greenwood, Gibbs, Knight, Atkins, Jenkins, Douglas, Mackay are all options. They would improve training standards and mentor some of these young lads. Would be a win win for both clubs. Afl will likely give GC a 2nd round compo pick at best that must be used on an experienced player. I would also increase gc salary cap for 3 years.

Bonkers000

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I disagree.

As I mentioned earlier, I think the signing smacks of desperation from GC. Rankine has not set the world ablaze since he went up there. I think it's fair to argue that his trade value has diminished since the draft.

GC extended his contract on potential, not output, which is a dangerous thing to do. If he doesn't meet that expectation and he walks away from GC, then his further diminished trade value will be a bargain for us.
How is GC signing Rankine any different from us extended Jones or McHenry?
You must think we’re incredibly desperate, and will lose both for a packet of chips.

And how exactly has he, or Luko for that matter, lost value? They have the exact same amount of potential as they did only 8 months ago. How anyone can think otherwise I’ll never know.

As of right now I would not let any of our draftees go for any less than what we paid to get them. I don’t know people on here think Gold Coast would be any different, particularly when they are contracted.

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
How is GC signing Rankine any different from us extended Jones or McHenry?
You must think we’re incredibly desperate, and will lose both for a packet of chips.

And how exactly has he, or Luko for that matter, lost value? They have the exact same amount of potential as they did only 8 months ago. How anyone can think otherwise I’ll never know.

As of right now I would not let any of our draftees go for any less than what we paid to get them. I don’t know people on here think Gold Coast would be any different, particularly when they are contracted.

This is not comparing apples with apples.

Both Jones and McHenry have played SANFL/AFL games in their first season. They have great potential, have shown it and earned their extensions. Their value remains stable. Both will probably play 200 games for the AFC.

As for Luko and King, both have played AFL level games and genuinely earned the right to a contract extension, but haven't signed one. These two guys are either a) holding out for more money, or b) leaving GC at the first given opportunity.

Rankine on the other hand. He has played no games since the JLT, so his potential has amounted to absolutely nothing so far. Injured for nearly an entire season, questions would/should be raised about the ability of his body to stand up to the rigors of the game. Hence his value and the reasoning for the GC extension, is very questionable. You don't pay people on potential, but that is exactly what GC are doing.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
They aren't oblivious. Maybe a few years ago. But looking on typically positive social media platforms like Facebook and your average supporter is pissed off

Don't worry.a few wins against lowly place clubs and we will all be up and about agains and in premiership contention..nothing will change until Chapman and co look up to the stands and see less than 37k.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
On what basis? Anyone who saw us last week would know that we are a legitimately sh*t team. We're perfectly capable of losing this week on merit :p
I think if we stick to picking our most senior fit players, we leave ourselves less open to accusations of not trying. Was worried about whether we would bring in the less experienced players for this game.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
This is not comparing apples with apples.

Both Jones and McHenry have played SANFL/AFL games in their first season. They have great potential, have shown it and earned their extensions. Their value remains stable. Both will probably play 200 games for the AFC.

As for Luko and King, both have played AFL level games and genuinely earned the right to a contract extension, but haven't signed one. These two guys are either a) holding out for more money, or b) leaving GC at the first given opportunity.

Rankine on the other hand. He has played no games since the JLT, so his potential has amounted to absolutely nothing so far. Injured for nearly an entire season, questions would/should be raised about the ability of his body to stand up to the rigors of the game. Hence his value and the reasoning for the GC extension, is very questionable. You don't pay people on potential, but that is exactly what GC are doing.
If the situation was reversed, I'd be perfectly happy for our club to do the same

Feb 4, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies - SNAFL
I think it’s Adelaide who needs to apologise. If you’d let us beat you just once, the AFL could argue that the Suns have shown to be competitive by beating every side on at least one occasion, but no you have to smash us every time we play. It’s a bad look for the game ;)
what about us? We smash you guys and suddenly think we are premiership material and then get smashed the following week. It is crazy and doing our heads in. I was going grey once, but now have no hair. Bloody Suns. So damn selfish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back