News Izak Rankine, Gold coast holding Rankine to Ransom- #FreeIzak

What will be the trade with the Suns? (Crows posters only, NO opposition supporters)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

UcantCme

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Keays for Rankine?… start the ******* car!.

Absolutely no chance suns do that though.

They’d be better off trading in mcrouch as a free agent, offer matt the $700k a year they now pay Rankine, pay nothing in picks for him, and then rip us off blind in a deal to trade Rankine to us.. which would involve our pick 4 becasue they hold all the cards with rankine being contrated.

They only way Rankine comes to us this year is if the Suns get a sniff that Rankine is gonna aske fir a trade at the end of his contract next year and they decide to trade him out this year instead to maximise their return whilst they have the power at the trade table.
There is no chance that we are trading Keays as well..... no chance at all

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

UcantCme

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Could we trade Keays, who is at maximum value right now, as a straight swap for Rankine? He is a Queenslander after all.

Keays you know what you’re going to get and Gold Coast have all the talent in the world to replace Rankine. The Crows are lacking that x-factor that Rankine could provide.

Maybe the Crows have more to lose in this trade, but perhaps more to gain as well.

PS. I am a fan of Keays, but we could probably break even by resigning Matt Crouch.
Zero chance of trading Keays

Absolute Zero

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
There is no chance that we are trading Keays as well..... no chance at all

It wasnt my suggestion.. i was just responding to a post..

The suns wouldnt even entertain it.. but if by some miracle they did.. start the ******* car!

Mar 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
To be honest I want to see what Keays can do in the next few years, I really like him, wouldn’t do it, the way rankine is going now I agree we could lose....I think Keays could get even better than what he already is with Burgess hopefully coming on board.
It would be very us to make the trade of the century and then have it end up being a bad one in the long run.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Geez… you got your panties in a twist there didnt you.

If you engaged your brain you’d see I wrote in my comment that they’d find the $700k for crouch in the savings they’d get from moving Rankine on (who’s aparently on $700k).. not that they’d probably even need to use the entire $700k to get crouch.

And I never suggested that we should pay up pick 4 for Rankine or even that thats what he’s worth… just that this is what the suns will ask for and that they hold all the cards because he’s contracted.

So you can untwist your panties… and reply to my comments in future with less hysterics please.
Lol - no disrespect, but it was a remarkably stupid post.

So the Suns are going to pay $700k for Crouch, something they can only do if they can find a taker for Rankine's contract - and somehow they still think they have an upper hand in a Rankine trade? A trade they're now desperate to make?

They can only get Crouch IF they get rid of Rankine (or a few other players), and we and every other side would know that.

It's just a very weird post to make because it makes so little sense.

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide

So the Suns are going to pay $700k for Crouch, something they can only do if they can find a taker for Rankine's contract - and somehow they still think they have an upper hand in a Rankine trade? A trade they're now desperate to make?

They can only get Crouch IF they get rid of Rankine (or a few other players), and we and every other side would know that.

Pretty narrow minded to think the Suns can only sign Crouch if they offload Rankine.

Considering they've already had four players retire, and another 40+ on the list.

And that's without even assuming that they are at the edge of the cap. Who are their stars on big dollars?

Rags_118

Team Captain
Nov 19, 2020
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Blacks, West Ham, Rangers
I’m with you… but.. Rankines unfortunately currently “worth” whatever the suns ask for him..

Its why dealing for contracted players is such a hard task for the receiveing team.. you almost always have to pay more.
Make it enough for band 1 and they can have pick 4, although that's more than Rankines currently worth.

You make an excellent point. GCS pay Crouch just enough for Band 1 compo (assuming they want him), we then get pick 5 as compensation and trade it for Rankine and GCS‘s 2nd Rounder, which would be equivalent to what the Crouch compo would otherwise be.

We would effectively get Rankine for nothing in draft capital. GCS would get a huge pick upgrade from about 22 to 5 where they should be able to pick an elite player of more long term value to them than Rankine. Might even enable GCS to trade picks 3 and 5 with GWS for Pick 2 and GWS’s first rounder on draft night for JHF if the opportunity arises.

Crows win, GCS win, all other club lose a bit by slipping down the draft order. Of course Crouch might not want to go to GCS.

The AFL’s desire to shaft the Crows could be offset by their desire to bend over backwards to assist GCS, eg compo awarded for Motlop FA.

Last edited:
You make an excellent point. GCS pay Crouch just enough for Band 1 compo (assuming they want him), we then get pick 5 as compensation and trade it for Rankine and GCS‘s 2nd Rounder, which would be equivalent to what the Crouch compo would otherwise be.

We would effectively get Rankine for nothing in draft capital. GCS would get a huge pick upgrade from about 22 to 5 where they should be able to pick an elite player of more long term value to them than Rankine. Might even enable GCS to trade picks 3 and 5 with GWS for Pick 2 and GWS’s first rounder on draft night for JHF if the opportunity arises.

Crows win, GCS win, all other club lose a bit by slipping down the draft order. Of course Crouch might not want to go to GCS.
Thats called draft tampering.

Rags_118

Team Captain
Nov 19, 2020
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Blacks, West Ham, Rangers
Thats called draft tampering.
Who is to say that Band 1 is unfair to entice Crouch to the Gold Coast? Who is to say that a big Pick upgrade is unfair for the recent No 2 draft pick currently under contract that we’d be paying $700K pa for over 2 years?

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers

* me..

The original premise was that keays be traded for Rankine..

My response was, “s**t yeah that would ve great” but that the sun wouldnt do it.. and why wouldnt they instead take mcrouch.

It obviously got you a little hot under the collar..

And its *in hilarious you of all people can carry on about others weird trade posts.. youre one of the best “playstation” traders in here..

May 27, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
What is the evidence that Rankine is getting $700? It seems to be taken as Gospel on this board.
But I would have thought 700 was an unlikely salary for a 2nd year player.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
What is the evidence that Rankine is getting $700? It seems to be taken as Gospel on this board.
But I would have thought 700 was an unlikely salary for a 2nd year player.
3rd year player, both Rankine and Lukosius signed 2 year extensions...out of contract 2022.

Brett Cummings

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Keays for Rankine?… start the ******* car!.

Absolutely no chance suns do that though.

They’d be better off trading in mcrouch as a free agent, offer matt the $700k a year they now pay Rankine, pay nothing in picks for him, and then rip us off blind in a deal to trade Rankine to us.. which would involve our pick 4 becasue they hold all the cards with rankine being contrated.

They only way Rankine comes to us this year is if the Suns get a sniff that Rankine is gonna aske fir a trade at the end of his contract next year and they decide to trade him out this year instead to maximise their return whilst they have the power at the trade table.
I wouldnt do that either if I was the suns. keays sucks.

Keays was the 14th highest possession winner in the league this year. And averaged 6 tackles a game also.

terrible skills and terrible decision making under pressure. I dont care how much of it he gets.
Yeah I know. You say that, but Matthew Nicks, Nathan Van Berlo, Scott Burns and James Rahilly say he was our second best player. It's hard to know who to believe???

Gtowncrow

Cheated out of Finals
Jul 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nearly won our best and fairest. Hard worker. Won't stop running all day. Gets stuck in. Finds plenty of his own ball. Gets it moving forward quickly. Runs both ways. Tackles with vigour and often.
Kicking is not his strong suit but I'll happily forgive that while he contributes so much else to the team.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I’m with you… but.. Rankines unfortunately currently “worth” whatever the suns ask for him..

Its why dealing for contracted players is such a hard task for the receiveing team.. you almost always have to pay more.

Fairly obvious statement but I think with Rankine it comes down to how much we rate him. If we rate him in that top category of player we should do what other clubs have done with contracted players and go after him this off season regardless of his contract. It won't get any easier next season.

Get him to the point where he checks out at GC.

Brett Cummings

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nearly won our best and fairest. Hard worker. Won't stop running all day. Gets stuck in. Finds plenty of his own ball. Gets it moving forward quickly. Runs both ways. Tackles with vigour and often.
Kicking is not his strong suit but I'll happily forgive that while he contributes so much else to the team.
we have the worst midfield in the league. nearly won 2 wooden spoons in a row. I dont care about awards. I care about results.

Last edited:

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Pretty narrow minded to think the Suns can only sign Crouch if they offload Rankine.

Considering they've already had four players retire, and another 40+ on the list.

And that's without even assuming that they are at the edge of the cap. Who are their stars on big dollars?
It's in every media report on the salary cap.

Signing Atkins-types to $450k deals and middling types like Weller and Swallow to long term $700k deals - plus the expensive extensions they have to offer their kids when they get to year three - seems to have them in continual salary cap stress.

I'm not sure who's coming off the cap this year, but Rowell and Anderson's extensions will be kicking in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back