Bring back the barometer

Remove this Banner Ad

his manager said he was 50:50 chance at playing on next year.

I remember the consideration of retirement being commented on here and was going to use it as a point against, but couldn't find the source. This solved that mystery as well. :D

Birchall was discussed on a roar Deal episode. Can't specifically remember if the trigger was mentioned, but his manager said he was 50:50 chance at playing on next year. My impression was that the ball was in his court, so maybe it did mention he had triggered a clause.

I'm too lazy to go looking for it for you, but it's a good place for you to start looking.
I would've loved him to play on if he brought his form from last year but he's clearly done. Struggles to make contests and his disposal has fallen off a cliff.

There's no way he'd still be getting a game at the Hawks.

A couple of people have posted this but none of them have ever dug up an actual reference so I'm pretty sure people are just getting confused when he triggered his contract for 2021 back in 2020.

I think this is correct, the confusion comes from his manager suggesting he might end up wanting to play on next year. I think this was after the GWS game when he had had 4-5 good weeks.

Not sure that's something to be excited about to be honest.

Nor am I. But it's a story arc based on fact.

And who knows, our problem ATM is clearly about energy and application and maybe what we lose with skill when he plays is worth it if he gets the boys up and about.

Elite sport is a very strange beast. Pun intended.

Nor am I. But it's a story arc based on fact.

And who knows, our problem ATM is clearly about energy and application and maybe what we lose with skill when he plays is worth it if he gets the boys up and about.

Elite sport is a very strange beast. Pun intended.
Fake news & hype when it comes to Rhys but dont let me spoil a good news story.

I got no doubt our problem is related to effort by a good bunch of players (that dont need to be named), but if playing finals and having a good crack at a flag isn't motivation enough to fix their attitude, Rhys Mathieson playing/not playing wont do it either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely no coincidence with him only playing against 2 top 8 sides (our bunnies Port and GWS) and 8 bottom 8 sides

Just saying ..... We win when the barometer plays.

No way we drop him next week.
I didn't see the whole game as we had friends over , but he appeared to be on song.
Back to last years form , keep it going and I will say he is part of our push for the trophy.
Zorko , , it seems he is playing all of us and just waiting for the run for finals, that's how it looks.
As far as theteam goes we still have another level if the boys are willing. Cockatoo, berry junior part of that, and Kiddy if he wants to push himself.
Macstay , keeps getting better , so focussed and disciplined , awesome game from him.

I didn't see the whole game as we had friends over , but he appeared to be on song.
Back to last years form , keep it going and I will say he is part of our push for the trophy.
Zorko , , it seems he is playing all of us and just waiting for the run for finals, that's how it looks.
As far as theteam goes we still have another level if the boys are willing. Cockatoo, berry junior part of that, and Kiddy if he wants to push himself.
Macstay , keeps getting better , so focussed and disciplined , awesome game from him.

McStay is now one of our most accurate shots

Someone (I'm old, can't remember who) asked if I genuinely believe matho is important to our teams performance. Here's my answer.

Watching Matho's genuine over-the-top joy in his teammates victory last night is why I think he is a positive for the team.

That ability to be a true team player who cares more about the team than your own contribution is rare, especially in elite athletes.

It's like a super fan position. We all ride the emotion of games knowing those guys are doing something we could never do, but to do that from the sideline knowing you could be out there with them is much more intense.

We are told over and over again that fans lift players performances, and home ground advantage shows it's true.

I think matho, as a super fan, does and even better job of that from the sideline. When he goes on field, he brings that energy lifting fan enthusiasm with him.

Every team has talented players, the difference between winning and losing is an X factor issue, and I believe matho is one arm of the X.

Having said that, I think I will be cheering him on in different colours next year. Hope it isn't Collingwood.

I love Matho. You will never see him not try his hardest and he has so much passion for this club. I hope he stays as our medical sub and if we somehow win a flag, he ends up getting a medal as well.

HELL YES - another two years!!!

So happy for a great bloke and developing player.

Better than I hoped for. I wasn't game to start a get the boy another contract thread - I was too chicken to cop the abuse.

Don't underestimate the need for and importance of players who bring the energy to training and game days, and who care more about the team than themselves. They bring out the best in the people around them who have a higher ceiling.

Happy dance happy dance happy dance

It's on lions YouTube. Don't know how to add the link.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back