Bring back the barrel!!

Bring back the barrel

• Yes

Votes: 18 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That brings back memory's, I remember playing on a ground in u18's that was sloping at least 1:10
Lords?

Slope near the pitch area, if it wasn't Lords, we'd all laugh at it

I remember watching the seniors game in the local comp back when I was playing u/15.
The full back was consistently kicking the ball either to or close to the wing.
Not barrels, old fashion drop kicks.

I believe a well executed drop kick gets more distance than a barrel. I am sure I read that somewhere once. Can anyone confirm

I've also kicked the biggest drop punt i could muster and been in the marking contest when it landed lol, similar wind only kicking against it.

You just don't see conditions like that at the higher grades.
I once had a shot for goal from 15 m out in the pocket. I was standing ankle deep in a churned up mud swamp at the time holding a greasy water logged ball that broke your foot when you kicked it. As I kicked I hit mud and water and a huge spray of it kicked up. I kicked an absolute monger straight into the face of the guy on the mark. He went down and I gathered the face rebound and then from 10m snapped for goal again but hit mud again and the ball hit my shin and trickled 3m sideways to a teammate who then kicked a monger for a point. True story.

Last edited:
I once had a shot for goal from 15 m out in the pocket. I was standing ankle deep in a churned up mud swamp at the time holding a greasy water logged ball that broke your foot when you kicked it. As I kicked I hit mud and water and a huge spray of it kicked up. I kicked an absolute monger straight into the face of the guy on the mark. He went down and I gathered the face rebound and then from 10m snapped for goal again but hit mud again and the ball hit my shin and trickled 3m sideways to a teammate who the kicked a monger for a point. True story.
lol Face rebound

Climate change is real.

Never a sceptic myself, but I reckon the sight of Frank flushing 100 metre torps could convince a few others. Something for Al Gore to think about for his next doco on the subject, tentatively titled 'An Inconvenient Roost'.

I agree with what was said on talking footy bring back the barrel and if ya kick a torp from outside 50 its a 9 pointer!!! New dimension to our game

We need to alter the E J Whitten game next year to purely torpedos and drop kicks only. 50 metre penalty for a drop punt, wouldn't that be a hoot.
It's already comical and has lost its lustre anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I once had a shot for goal from 15 m out in the pocket. I was standing ankle deep in a churned up mud swamp at the time holding a greasy water logged ball that broke your foot when you kicked it. As I kicked I hit mud and water and a huge spray of it kicked up. I kicked an absolute monger straight into the face of the guy on the mark. He went down and I gathered the face rebound and then from 10m snapped for goal again but hit mud again and the ball hit my shin and trickled 3m sideways to a teammate who then kicked a monger for a point. True story.

just needed the Benny Hill music as a soundtrack and the story is complete.

I remember watching the seniors game in the local comp back when I was playing u/15.
The full back was consistently kicking the ball either to or close to the wing.
Not barrels, old fashion drop kicks.

I believe a well executed drop kick gets more distance than a barrel. I am sure I read that somewhere once. Can anyone confirm
No... the barrel beats it because it gets extra height and just takes longer to come down. Gets further downwind for the same reason; and gets further upwind because it bores into it whereas the drop kick floats upward and back on the breeze.
Bring them both back, I say. The game was better for them. Having said that, the torp can get past the squeamish instincts of the modern coach occasionally because a lot of players can still execute it correctly. The same probably can't be said for the drop kick -- I doubt the modern footballer could kick it without embarrassing himself.

Used to be...if you were a fullback you had to be able to kick a Torp to the wing. It was a basic skill.

Dick Clay, Clifton, Tully (back pocket but he kicked out because he could send it 70m!) Bob Murray, Southby, Fletcher today was in every team back then!

No... the barrel beats it because it gets extra height and just takes longer to come down. Gets further downwind for the same reason; and gets further upwind because it bores into it whereas the drop kick floats upward and back on the breeze.
Bring them both back, I say. The game was better for them. Having said that, the torp can get past the squeamish instincts of the modern coach occasionally because a lot of players can still execute it correctly. The same probably can't be said for the drop kick -- I doubt the modern footballer could kick it without embarrassing himself.
I would be happy if our players could first learn how to execute the drop punt. That would be nice.

Back