Toast Bring Back the Bars Guernsey Petition - Port Adelaide

Hello guys, as you ran a similar campaign, I was hoping you'd take a read of our #bringbackthebars campaign and sign our petition at www.bringbackthebars.com.

Our manifesto can be found here https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/attachments/bbtb_manifesto_de2-pdf.695660/

This campaign is not about changing our current guernsey, but about being allowed to wear our traditional guernsey on occasion, without the ridiculous stipulation of having to beg Collingwood every time. Your support is very much appreciated.

This link will take you to the Big Footy thread. We have Facebook, Insta, Twitter etc. as well as the support of the current and ex-players if you are interested in following the campaign.

Toast - #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right!
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/attachments/bbtb_manifesto_de2-pdf.695660/ Twitter:https://twitter.com/PrisonBars2020 Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bringbackthebars/ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bringbackthebars Website: http://bringbackthebars.com...
www.bigfooty.com
www.bigfooty.com

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Nah. You joined the AFL as the Port Adelaide Power. Your claim to the heritage of the Port Adelaide Magpies is flimsy and a shallow attempt to replicate the past glories of the VFL. Don't conflate what you're doing with the beautiful Wings of the Eagles.

Pass.

It's not like they wouldn't have preferred to join as port Adelaide magpies though.

Good on them I say, hope they can get it done.

Jul 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool // Ferrari
Nah. You joined the AFL as the Port Adelaide Power. Your claim to the heritage of the Port Adelaide Magpies is flimsy and a shallow attempt to replicate the past glories of the VFL. Don't conflate what you're doing with the beautiful Wings of the Eagles.

Pass.
I don’t understand this viewpoint.

The PA that joined the AFL in 1997 was the club in the SANFL all those years.

Pass.
That is exceptionally wrong.

I think it is exceptiuonally correct - move on, this is a national comp. state leagues are a set of spereate comps. Next you will want rabbles like carlton claiming state league premierships as AFL premierships.
Just as well what you 'think' and what is factually correct don't have to mesh. Thanks for your time considering anyway.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
There are many reasons to support this cause (we went through a similar campaign just a few year's back, let's not forget) or to just say 'tough luck Port'.

However I resent the fact that Eddie McGuire actually gets to have any sort of say in this discussion and therefore, on this basis alone, I support Port's efforts to bring back the bars.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I think it is exceptiuonally correct - move on, this is a national comp. state leagues are a set of spereate comps. Next you will want rabbles like carlton claiming state league premierships as AFL premierships.
The entity that became Port Power in 1997 was the same entity that competed in the SANFL as the Port Magpies. A new entity was created to then compete in the SANFL. That new entity later merged with the Power.

Is this correct chiwigi ?

The entity that became Port Power in 1997 was the same entity that competed in the SANFL as the Port Magpies. A new entity was created to then compete in the SANFL. That new entity later merged with the Power.

Is this correct chiwigi ?

This is more about clubs deciding their own destiny than anything else.

Yes! It’s why we sing NTUA.
Those saying we aren’t Port Adelaide are just trolling, we made it from the SANFL to the AFL on the back of our success in the state league. They hate us for doing so, but at the same time claim we aren’t the same club. It’s nonsense.

The SANFL insisted a shell club remained as it was the biggest crowd puller in the league, they did however demand that they not be allowed to train with the AFL team, Port did not want to do either, but as the SANFL held the licenses in SA they had little choice.
Once they had run us into the ground (there’s a reason the Crows aren’t powerhouse like WCE as the SANFL squeezed both clubs for years) the AFL got involved and we were able to demand the issue be rectified. Hence the current situation with the SANFL team being the reserves. The price we paid for this was all the other SANFL clubs taking century old zones.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
In all seriousness, Port should be able to have the prison bar jumper as one off without the Pies having a say. Bit of a joke that another AFL club has so much Power.

Everyone getting stuck in re: SANFL history. I couldn't care less about SANFL or VFL accomplishments. We play in a national comp and accolades won by a bunch of part time plumbers before the internet was around are not as impressive as accolades won in the fully professional, fully national, salary cap era.

However, how any Eagles fan could ignore a fanbase pleading for a chance to revert to a jumper synonymous with their heritage is beyond me. If it's important to the Port fan base that they wear their SANFL strip, then it's important to me. Return The Wings. Bring Back The Bars.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Everyone getting stuck in re: SANFL history. I couldn't care less about SANFL or VFL accomplishments. We play in a national comp and accolades won by a bunch of part time plumbers before the internet was around are not as impressive as accolades won in the fully professional, fully national, salary cap era.

However, how any Eagles fan could ignore a fanbase pleading for a chance to revert to a jumper synonymous with their heritage is beyond me. If it's important to the Port fan base that they wear their SANFL strip, then it's important to me. Return The Wings. Bring Back The Bars.
I mostly agree with this but personally for me the Return the Wings movement was about getting rid of poor/inconsistent design and reestablishing a better, more uniform jumper across all matches.

It had the added benefit of nodding toward our early AFL history, but I think first and foremost it was about reclaiming good design as a fundamental aspect of the club’s brand.

The port prison bar push mostly appears to be about the right to have their pre-AFL history recognised as equally legitimate as their AFL history.

That’s fair enough too, and a totally worthy cause, but I don’t reckon the two campaigns are completely synonymous, so I can’t relate to it in the same way that I might relate to - for example - North Melbourne wanting to revert back to the late 90s jumping kangaroo design.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I mostly agree with this but personally for me the Return the Wings movement was about getting rid of poor/inconsistent design and reestablishing a better, more uniform jumper across all matches.

It had the added benefit of nodding toward our early AFL history, but I think first and foremost it was about reclaiming good design as a fundamental aspect of the club’s brand.

The port prison bar push mostly appears to be about the right to have their pre-AFL history recognised as equally legitimate as their AFL history.

That’s fair enough too, and a totally worthy cause, but I don’t reckon the two campaigns are completely synonymous, so I can’t relate to it in the same way that I might relate to - for example - North Melbourne wanting to revert back to the late 90s jumping kangaroo design.
Maybe this will help to relate - Imagine that Eddie had a say in telling us we couldn't wear the wings.

(yes, I realise the circumstances are very different, but like I said before, the fact that Eddie gets some sort of a say really pissses me off)

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Maybe this will help to relate - Imagine that Eddie had a say in telling us we couldn't wear the wings.

(yes, I realise the circumstances are very different, but like I said before, the fact that Eddie gets some sort of a say really pissses me off)
That would never happen though - our design would have been OK’d when the club was formed. If WC were a club in a separate league prior to joining the AFL, and Eddie said we couldn’t keep our old jumper design, then sure.

Back