Remove this Banner Ad

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
It's almost the offseason, so here we go.

The glove was a controversial piece of kit that was banned in the 2013 preseason, primarily because Travis Cloke was both a god tier mark of the ball and also fancied a glove. The argument at the time was that gloves provided an unfair advantage because the palms of the gloves were stickier than the human hand.

But do we really care about an "unfair advantage" that is equally available to every player and every team?

The AFL outwardly states that it wants fast footy, long kicking and spectacular marks. Big prolific key forwards have been the most marketable players in the game since Tom Wills came up with the first interpretation of holding the ball.

Give us the glove back and let's see the likes of Jeremy Cameron pull off some cool Odell Beckham Jr s**t. People might complain that defenders have it hard enough these days, but scores are lower than ever.

I agree, this is one rule change I could get behind. I was thinking about this the other week after seeing such low tallies on the Coleman leader board.

I'd even be happy if they done something radical like one glove per team, but whoever is wearing it can't leave the forward 50m line.

I agree, this is one rule change I could get behind. I was thinking about this the other week after seeing such low tallies on the Coleman leader board.

I'd even be happy if they done something radical like one glove per team, but whoever is wearing it can't leave the forward 50m line.
And if the nominated gloved player kicks a score, its double the normal value. 2 points for a behind. 12 points for a goal.

Let's take it a step up, and bring in Giant baseball mits. Ben Reid put up one hand plenty of time VS GWS.. Imagine he had a Giant baseball mit on, he would have taken 30 marks!

Easy-Catch-net_large.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back