Bring Back the Old Jumpers for Good

Remove this Banner Ad

Although they look better than the current jumpers, surely navy blue looks better than royal blue. The royal blue should be used as the away jumper and navy as the home jumper.

And definately Mr Eagle's eagle logo is better than the old one.

I think it's a mistake to constantly change jumpers. A footy club isn't only about image and marketing. It's mainly about winning games and about tradition, specially when that tradition is built on great victories. That's why we shouldn't change colours or logos. It may be true that Mr. Eagles logo looks better, but in my mind, the old logo and the royal blue is highly associated with our brilliant past. That is the main reason I prefer the old traditional jumper with which we won two premierships and beat the Dockers today.

As long as they replace the royal blue with navy blue and make a few more modifications the jumpers will look acceptable. Anything but our newer jumpers. What were they thinking??? :( :(

seeing the players come out in the old jumpers today was awesome.... at least they resemble the eagles of old now and dont look like a hybrid team with all that ochre, orange, blue, black etc etc (i mean the away jumper :D )

I love those old jumpers and i thought the Royal Blue actually looked quite good. Im all for keeping those jumpers as its a part of our heritage and history!

It was weird though, for some reason everyone looked the same but to me and its probably just me but Ben Cousins looked 18 years old in those jumpers. He looked like that fresh faced kid that we all came to love back in 97/98...played like it too in the first half, finally turned it on in the second half though. Anyone else notice that or am i just seeing things.

i have to agree with you there Jod, at the beginning of the game looking at Cousins he looked kinda small, the same could be said of Kerr

maybe its a colour thing??

and good to see Kerr wearing Sumich's #4 jumper :D

I thought we looked great when we ran out and broke through the banner in those jumpers, 10 times better than the rainbow brite uniform. Some of the players did look markedly different in the old school jumpers, when my mum saw Cousins she commented on how it made him look like he was carrying less weight, haha maybe cummings should have stayed after all! Also thought Kerr and Merenda looked a lot darker but thats what a lighter colour jumper will do obviously, they may have been seeing more sun in the summer too.

While I dont really care what jumpers the eagles wear the jumpers worn today are 100% better than the current ones the maketnig team dreamed up. I prefer navy blue to royal blue but both are far better than the ochre ones.

The only suggestion I would make to West Coast is to decide what you want and stick to it. Football clubs are built around tradition and history and by changing your jumpers you arent doing your cause any good.

Balip - maybe Freo should of stuck with their original jumper since 1995. I read in the Herald Sun last month they have changed the design of their jumper 3 times since 1995 (but in fairness have kept the same colours).

I liked seeing the boys play in the old royal blue and gold jumper too. The socks really stood out too - maybe we should of tried to get the Light Blue M&M deal instead of Carlton!

Sure, I've completed the occasional survey, but I've never directly written or emailed the club about the way they've run things - slack, I know - until now. The other night, when I heard about the jumper change for Sunday, I emailed the club admin to say how happy I was with the change and how they should change to the old jumpers permanently.

If that's anything to go by, and based on conversations I've had with other supporters in the meantime, they will be getting a pretty strong response to the issue from the rank and file. Hopefully in the coming weeks we'll get the opportunity to formally register a vote for the change

Remember - vote early, vote often!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by noodle
too true.

those jumpers looked good out there today. get yourself over to the eagles site and vote for them. last i looked 90% of people where in favour of them.

I voted last night and it still was at 90%

Maybe the other 10% are the marketing department....;)

I fell in love with the eagles football club all over again on Sunday. Seeing them run out in those jumpers stirred the emotions, and brought about even more pride in the team. I just felt like throwing the new home jumper i was wearing away when i saw them in that royal blue(yes i like the royal blue). I never want to see them in the new jumpers again, but sadly i shall have to. This weekend was so inspirational to the team, each player had more in them, they played like 4 years more experienced players, yet Jako and Roo and Milli all looked 4 years younger. I just can't word the true feelings i have right now, it is just great
GO EAGLES:D:D

Originally posted by eagleskickass
I fell in love with the eagles football club all over again on Sunday. Seeing them run out in those jumpers stirred the emotions, and brought about even more pride in the team. I just felt like throwing the new home jumper i was wearing away when i saw them in that royal blue(yes i like the royal blue). I never want to see them in the new jumpers again, but sadly i shall have to. This weekend was so inspirational to the team, each player had more in them, they played like 4 years more experienced players, yet Jako and Roo and Milli all looked 4 years younger. I just can't word the true feelings i have right now, it is just great
GO EAGLES:D:D

Have to concur with you there EKA, to see those guys run out in those jumpers sent shivers of happiness through me. It seemed like the eagles of old, a real football team, and made me feel 2 feet taller just being proud of those boys.....

If the AFL need 12 months' notice of a jumper change then the "vote" to change the jumpers for next year is a bit of a hoax, don't you think?

You will vote yes and think you have a say when it is obvious the decision has already been made.

If the AFL need 12 months' notice of a jumper change then the "vote" to change the jumpers for next year is a bit of a hoax, don't you think?
Read the fine print Bigs, His Nisbettness stated that they had informed the AFL that they may wish to change the jumper in 2003. Getting permission does not oblige the club to actually do it if the move is rejected.

Thanks for that. Well, roll on the change. The current jumper is a disgrace.

If anyone cares, the Royal Blue tends to make my telly go berserk but it's your club. Go nuts.

originally posted by Bigger

If anyone cares, the Royal Blue tends to make my telly go berserk but it's your club. Go nuts.

I had to fiddle with the contrast my tv too. (when finaly WIN television remembered that they were a tv station and not a radio station :mad: )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back