Prediction Bring Heath Shaw home

Remove this Banner Ad

Need to take the emotion out of it, he will always be a champion of the football club regardless.

Daisy Thomas was told by Carlton his time was up, he was essentially forced to retire whilst putting his hand up if another club wanted him. These things happen.

Can’t get emotional and think we are a retirement home for past players to either play on or move into coaching.
It's a pointless
Discussion
He quite likely will end up at North
Notice that Rawlings has been moved

Look for him to play a Hodge roll

Coaching and playing
Then coaching

Need to take the emotion out of it, he will always be a champion of the football club regardless.

Daisy Thomas was told by Carlton his time was up, he was essentially forced to retire whilst putting his hand up if another club wanted him. These things happen.

Can’t get emotional and think we are a retirement home for past players to either play on or move into coaching.
Agree, and it would have to be a perfect scenario for us.

Which I think it can be:
Soft Cap reductions mean we have less money for coaches.
Player Salary Cap squeeze will be a real issue given the players we want to retain and potentially bring in.

Shaw fits both of these needs by being a "playing coach" who wont command a salary that's too large and would also be entitled to the veterans allowance.

We're going to lose Reid and potentially Dunn, Varcoe, Langdon, Scharenberg. We can afford a cheap veteran presence, so long as those stars align.

Shaw being a champion of the club means that the above should at least be tabled for its viability. If its not, move on, but we should try.

It's a pointless
Discussion
He quite likely will end up at North
Notice that Rawlings has been moved

Look for him to play a Hodge roll

Coaching and playing
Then coaching

Ridiculous if that’s the case and ends up happening, they are treating their leading goal kicker like dirt, Goldstein and Higgins alienated - 11 delisted.

Bringing in a 35 brother of the coach no matter how good you think he might be as a line coach is a horrible look.

Ridiculous if that’s the case and ends up happening, they are treating their leading goal kicker like dirt, Goldstein and Higgins alienated - 11 delisted.

Bringing in a 35 brother of the coach no matter how good you think he might be as a line coach is a horrible look.
Would be funny though.

So they get Shaw they get corr
They get Thomas Cunnington 3 or 4 first round picks and 2 second rounds
Zeibell comes back

So they lose
Higgins
Goldstein
Polec
Brown
But they have
Zuharr, Simpkin, Anderson , Tarrant, McKay
Scott Thomas, Davies unicke
Cunnington zeibell Shaw corr
6 good kids

Rhyce Shaw, Gavin brown, heath Shaw

No brainer
They will have little experience and the youngest list in the league

Gee I hope we go nowhere with brown
Damaged goods and the games gone past him
Smaller quarter's means more defensive space clogging
Doesn't help a leading forward not strong overhead with poor entries

Larkey and zuha

So they get Shaw they get corr
They get Thomas Cunnington 3 or 4 first round picks and 2 second rounds
Zeibell comes back

So they lose
Higgins
Goldstein
Polec
Brown
But they have
Zuharr, Simpkin, Anderson , Tarrant, McKay
Scott Thomas, Davies unicke
Cunnington zeibell Shaw corr
6 good kids

Rhyce Shaw, Gavin brown, heath Shaw

No brainer
They will have little experience and the youngest list in the league

Not sure why everyone thinks Heath is a great leader, maybe he is, comes across as distracting for mine.

Passionate yes, but too much of a class clown for a leader.

GWS have let him go for a reason, the fact they are losing another HB and still okay with Heath going says it all.

Not sure why everyone thinks Heath is a great leader, maybe he is, comes across as distracting for mine.

Passionate yes, but too much of a class clown for a leader.

GWS have let him go for a reason, the fact they are losing another HB and still okay with Heath going says it all.

I LOVE Heath Shaw but "Great leader" is a valid attribute for him only if it is used as code for "loose cannon".

He deserves an opportunity to retire rather than be delisted. Hes a champion of the game and bigger champion of the Collingwood Football Club.

Only if he takes a minimum salary and knows the liklehood of a game is nearing zero, I'd be happy to entertain.

Having Shaw can actually help our salary cap situation given the minimum amount we'd pay him, rather than retaining a Scharenberg/Langdon who arent getting games due to LTI's or being out of favour.
I agree with your first point.
Yes, he should have retired, but alas....not that smart is heath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has North written all over it when it's put like that

The significant reduction of the football department cap increases Shaw's chances of remaining on a list. Like Mumford (cooked) and Burgoyne (still playing good footy) it's possible that a club will seek to move coaching payments to the TPP via a dual role; Shaw would give someone that opportunity. With a supposedly tight salary cap that's not us.

As a footballer it looked like he was cooked in early 2019 only for Shaw to finish the year better and gain another contract. I haven't seen enough of his 2020.

In terms of how he would go as a coach his role with GWS' AFLW side is probably the best gauge. Part of that role was to sit on the bench and give energy/instructions to the players.

I would like to bring Shaw to the club as a Defensive development coach, his one on one is really good and he also knows how to create run from Defence and on top of that he has a very good footy brain

We take risks or fail again.

I'd take a punt on Shaw for a year on a performance based contract. He'll cost nothing in a trade. He'd replace a player like Noble or Mayne in the 22. We will have some experience leaving in the next week or so. Varco and Reid already out. I'd exit Mayne if we could upgrade a draft pick. We need to free up cap space and Hine has said he would like another earlyish pick. Someone like Phillips might be proceed out like Aish was last year. We don't have much depth on our list.

Shaw on the rookie list with the cap concession would be a good move IMO. He'll tow the line.

Don’t really need him as our defence is our strength. But if we lose/delist Shaz and Langdon along with Varcoe and Dunn, suddenly our experienced depth reduces and cap frees up. If we also trade Phillips then maybe that opens up a midfield spot to release Noble Crisp Maynard or even Quaynor to move upfield.

Bottom line I’m happy to look at Shaw cheaply as long as other list decisions get made that would make picking him up a logical decision. As long he doesn’t get games ahead of long term prospects like Murphy.

He's come out and said that he only wants to play for the Giants, or else hes going to chase a gig at a local footy club, getting paid to not train and get real rotund.

I don't think hes interested in playing at the highest level for Collingwood or anyone else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back