Bring the club back to Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

No it hasn’t but why? I doubt it’s got anything to do with location but I may be wrong.
Being based in freo wasn’t really delivering the results either. Perhaps our success is down to more than a post code.
What was an unpopular move when it was proposed was sold as necessary for turning the club into a powerhouse.

We are further away from being a powerhouse than we were before we moved.

The club overpromised and underdelivered. It's done a lot of that lately.

It might help if the Freo Council had been more flexible with the clubs design of the new facilities.

The simple fact that they ended up denying the club of the state of the art facilities. This has been well documented.

Yeah let's also forget the years when Freo were given Drum and they needed Allen to step in.

How about they move back because that will help create success lol

Hawthorn are moving to the sticks too to a state of the art facility and reportedly tried to poach to Rosich as CEO to see the project through. Obviously we’re seen as a trendsetters by the best run club in the League - whether we as the punters like it or not.

The issues with Freo council are well known and Pettit is very love or hate and I think I do both simultaneously. They need to be bold to get tourists in and try and stimulate the economy and fill shopfronts that way, but in doing so they rot away a lot of the good things about town (the way they were set up with that pointless circle art, the old gums being chopped down).

Freo Council had some weird restrictions in place re: the club staying put but I also think the club's mind was made up. Cockburn Council actively wanted them and the Steves love the idea of being a more homogenised franchise rather than trying to establish being a proper, rooted-in club from Fremantle. We were going to move regardless.

But yeah there's a heap of room at Fremantle Oval. They are going to or want to realign the ground itself, so it's pushed up against the old grandstand. You do that and you've bought probably 30 metres toward the jail wall and have heaps of space toward the hospital and the current FFC building... the Stan Reilly Centre was torn down too and now there's... a *in car park there. If you got rid of the old Dockers clubrooms, South Fremantle clubrooms, and used the Stan Reilly Centre space you'd have heaps of room for gyms, a proper sized pool, recovery rooms, and probably even a little grandstand for pre-season matches. And that's just on the southern and hospital side of the ground! It'd be a sort of L-shape facility but it'd work. Would look really cool having the building hit South Terrace too... real connection between place and club.

Give South Fremantle a facelift in the gym on Parry Street there and then develop a nice grass bank where the current scoreboard is. You'd have way more room so chuck a little club room, small bit of terracing behind the Parry Street goals and into that far pocket, then the wing is all grass.

And there's that disused old building which is pretty classic looking on the corner. Nothing ever lasts there because it's awkward. I'd put the club shop in there or the front admin desk, let people walk straight in.

Yes no second oval but ffs who gives a s**t? Redundant luxury when every other single facility would be as good as Cockburn and you're still in the heart of Freo.

This is without mentioning how hard the ground is at Cockburn. Know a few people who did some training there and they said they were sore for a week afterwards, all down the shin, top of the knee, front of the thigh, and these are guys who usually play on rain-soaked shitholes or dry-arid grounds up in the country.

It would be a great boutique ground that way, perfect look and capacity for the WAFL and a-grade facilities for Freo. Not many clubs could boast up-to-scratch gyms and training and stay in their traditional home suburb. Port Adelaide is the only other one, I think?

Cockburn is a ******* dump. The decision to move there was made by people that haven't lived there for sure. Tony Ales, the ocean and bibra lake are the only worthwhile things in the area for many many kilometres

Rubbish. I have lived about 1 km from the ETAF for two years and I love it. I much prefer it to South Fremantle where I was previously.

It’s a great place to live with good proximity to everything we require. If you think Cockburn is a ‘******* dump’ then I strongly suggest you avoid Leonora and Cue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issues with Freo council are well known and Pettit is very love or hate and I think I do both simultaneously. They need to be bold to get tourists in and try and stimulate the economy and fill shopfronts that way, but in doing so they rot away a lot of the good things about town (the way they were set up with that pointless circle art, the old gums being chopped down).

Freo Council had some weird restrictions in place re: the club staying put but I also think the club's mind was made up. Cockburn Council actively wanted them and the Steves love the idea of being a more homogenised franchise rather than trying to establish being a proper, rooted-in club from Fremantle. We were going to move regardless.

But yeah there's a heap of room at Fremantle Oval. They are going to or want to realign the ground itself, so it's pushed up against the old grandstand. You do that and you've bought probably 30 metres toward the jail wall and have heaps of space toward the hospital and the current FFC building... the Stan Reilly Centre was torn down too and now there's... a ****in car park there. If you got rid of the old Dockers clubrooms, South Fremantle clubrooms, and used the Stan Reilly Centre space you'd have heaps of room for gyms, a proper sized pool, recovery rooms, and probably even a little grandstand for pre-season matches. And that's just on the southern and hospital side of the ground! It'd be a sort of L-shape facility but it'd work. Would look really cool having the building hit South Terrace too... real connection between place and club.

Give South Fremantle a facelift in the gym on Parry Street there and then develop a nice grass bank where the current scoreboard is. You'd have way more room so chuck a little club room, small bit of terracing behind the Parry Street goals and into that far pocket, then the wing is all grass.

And there's that disused old building which is pretty classic looking on the corner. Nothing ever lasts there because it's awkward. I'd put the club shop in there or the front admin desk, let people walk straight in.

Yes no second oval but ffs who gives a s**t? Redundant luxury when every other single facility would be as good as Cockburn and you're still in the heart of Freo.

This is without mentioning how hard the ground is at Cockburn. Know a few people who did some training there and they said they were sore for a week afterwards, all down the shin, top of the knee, front of the thigh, and these are guys who usually play on rain-soaked shitholes or dry-arid grounds up in the country.

It would be a great boutique ground that way, perfect look and capacity for the WAFL and a-grade facilities for Freo. Not many clubs could boast up-to-scratch gyms and training and stay in their traditional home suburb. Port Adelaide is the only other one, I think?

I agree with all of this however can't vouch for the hardness of oval but that may well be true.

It's a real shame about the issues presented by the council.

Sure it’s an emotional thread, but in hindsight we WERE promised big things. The koolaid drinkers claimed injuries would reduce once we left that minefield Freo oval surface. Well how’s that going?

I also clearly remember being promised 2 ovals. And how you couldn’t have 2 ovals at Parry St. And this was gonna be the difference being able to replicate every stadium around Australia. How’s that going?

I’m mature enough to know bricks and mortar make * all difference. But some idiots actually believed this new building would have an effect. How we could recruit some big names with our shiny new facilities. How’s that going? We’ve brought in some expats - but no big names yet.

It might be the best training facility in the world - I wouldn’t know. But what I do know is that it ain’t in Fremantle and our club is the poorer for it. Whatever shade of purple we wear now, our club has a distinct shade of beige to it...

Sure it’s an emotional thread, but in hindsight we WERE promised big things. The koolaid drinkers claimed injuries would reduce once we left that minefield Freo oval surface. Well how’s that going?

I also clearly remember being promised 2 ovals. And how you couldn’t have 2 ovals at Parry St. And this was gonna be the difference being able to replicate every stadium around Australia. How’s that going?

I’m mature enough to know bricks and mortar make **** all difference. But some idiots actually believed this new building would have an effect. How we could recruit some big names with our shiny new facilities. How’s that going? We’ve brought in some expats - but no big names yet.

It might be the best training facility in the world - I wouldn’t know. But what I do know is that it ain’t in Fremantle and our club is the poorer for it. Whatever shade of purple we wear now, our club has a distinct shade of beige to it...
Great post.

The fact half the big talkers on here don't even live in Fremantle is a laugh. My family were wool workers, wharf workers and played for Souths and Easts... I'm not going to let some bloke who started following football in 2005 tell me where my club should be.

Great post.

The fact half the big talkers on here don't even live in Fremantle is a laugh. My family were wool workers, wharf workers and played for Souths and Easts... I'm not going to let some bloke who started following football in 2005 tell me where my club should be.

What a load of crap.

You can't have a club in the AFL that limits it appeal only to a handful of people living in one small suburb. You'll end up going the way of Fitzroy. The club must draw on the widest level of support it can muster. If that means moving to the geographical centre of a million people metro area it is a good move.

I think we’re seeing a lot of what’s wrong with our club in this thread.

There’s a hardcore section of supporter base that thinks our club should be just for Freo people and be based in Freo and everything the club does should revolve around Freo.

Well, I’m sorry to tell you, the reality is that the majority of Freo supporters don’t live in Freo and nor should they. The club would be a financial mess if that were the case.

Like it or not, we’re the second Western Australian team in the AFL and whilst the Freo name was adopted, it needs to be more than a Freo team. We’re another west coast team but with an identity in Freo. That’s all!

The whole East vs South thing was what ****ed the club in the early years and set the team back years. Get over it. The quicker the supporters get their head around the fact we’re a Western Australian football team operating in Victorian competition the sooner we start moving forward and actually claim some success.

Stop holding us back.

Great post.

What a load of wank, I was born and lived in Howard St Freo, went to school at South Tce Primary, Fremantle boys high school. Went to South Freo games as a little tacker with a south player who was a neighbour. Sports carnivals and school footy played on Freo oval .Worked as a truck driver carting of the wharf for Grieve and Piper where Tom Naylor Bernies brother was my boss .I class myself as a Freo veteran. To me Cockburn bleeds Freo as well. So many champions of South Freo came from that area. Grulisichs,Gerovich, Todd ,Hardie,Troode, Bauskis , Glucina and many more. Its total bullshit that Freo has lost its idenity moving to Cockburn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back