Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering the club is sitting 17th yes 17 and 0-3 on the ladder this PR narrative that the club first pushed out about the Prison Bars is nothing more to get gullible supporters to gloss over the failures of ten years and the man in the box Kenneth. If you think for one moment the MAJORITY of supporter after the showdown and the day after are thinking Prison Bars you are very much in denial.

You can't get a fisting by the Hawks lose to the Crows with 8min to go our amazing coach slowed the game down. We don't have a coach that even cares about the creed or demands what the old Prison Bars were played for. In his post-match statement all he could say was that the players have to keep working at getting better that a joke !

On August 31, 1995, Port Adelaide launched its new brand for the AFL. At the Adelaide Entertainment Centre " Port Adelaide will always be our name but we have a new nickname"

Its time to realise we have real issues facing our club real problems at the moment if you are not careful the dark days will come quickly
A post full of half truths.

1. The club isn't pushing the PB narrative, its been the members
2. You mention our name and logo, which has nothing to do with the jumper
3. The real issue is that the AFL manages everything we do and persists with a narrative that we are a club that needs them to save us. It is absolute bullshit. We are a cash cow for the AFL (we have almost 60,000 members) but they don't want us to make our own decisions.

Yes we can walk and chew gum at the same time.

I want to see us start 2023 as a member run club, wearing the prison bars in all home games, and with an off-field structure that demands success, i.e. gives us both what we want and what we pay for.

Its very clear that some (not you) have their reasons for stifling that agenda, they like having their noses in the trough, they will do anything to keep them there.

What the club members of PAFC need to decide is: is control of their club worth fighting for?
Wearing what we want when we want is a part of this demand for freedom and as such is always worth fighting for.

Last edited:
A post full of half truths.

1. The club isn't pushing the PB narrative, its been the members
2. You mention our name and logo, which has nothing to do with the jumper
3. The real issue is that the AFL manages everything we do and persists with a narrative that we are a club that needs them to save us. It is absolute bullshit. We are a cash cow for the AFL (we have almost 60,000 members) but they don't want us to make our own decisions.

Yes we can walk and chew gum at the same time.

I want to see us start 2023 as a member run club, wearing the prison bars in all home games, and with an off-field structure that demands success, i.e. gives us both what we want and what we pay for.

Its very clear that some (not you) have their reasons for stifling that agenda, they like having their noses in the trough, they will do anything to keep them there.

What the club members of PAFC need to decide is: is control of their club worth fighting for?
Wearing what we want when we want is a part of this demand for freedom and as such is always worth fighting for.

This is more about parochialism and 'winning' against 'the Vics' than anything else. For the first thirty years of Port's existence they wore jumpers of some combination of blue / magenta /white so they did not have the black and white stripes first. We need to start talking about reality and like i have stated we have real issues right now and what would you be saying if we were 0-3 sitting 17th wearing the Prison Bars?

You stated we are a cash cow for the AFL what cash cow we are still the remaining few clubs relying on pokie machines we still in huge debt and our attendance starting this season has been woeful.

Its a wonderful idea and something in an ideal world having the bars back but this the AFL the competition we as a club ran real fast to join and agree on its conditions. Now is the time we need to start dealing with real world issues with our club. Because at the moment right now our club doesn't not represent the Port you are hoping for or is.

This is more about parochialism and 'winning' against 'the Vics' than anything else. For the first thirty years of Port's existence they wore jumpers of some combination of blue / magenta /white so they did not have the black and white stripes first. We need to start talking about reality and like i have stated we have real issues right now and what would you be saying if we were 0-3 sitting 17th wearing the Prison Bars?

You stated we are a cash cow for the AFL what cash cow we are still the remaining few clubs relying on pokie machines we still in huge debt and our attendance starting this season has been woeful.

Its a wonderful idea and something in an ideal world having the bars back but this the AFL the competition we as a club ran real fast to join and agree on its conditions. Now is the time we need to start dealing with real world issues with our club. Because at the moment right now our club doesn't not represent the Port you are hoping for or is.
What real world issues?

Being 0-3: that is because we have an AFL appointed coach - how to fix it - let us make our own decisions

Our debt: you need to understand the difference between balance sheets and income statements.
We made 4.7 million profit last year on an excellent revenue amidst a global pandemic - don't be fooled by what is shoved down your throat by vicmedia

Any other real world issues?

Last edited:

You're aware it's not the football department drafting and releasing a statement about guernseys, aren't you?

How'd you manage the unthinkably complex level of multitasking?

WTF are you on about with this different departments and multi-tasking BS?

Sounds to me like something out of an annual report from a government department with its head up its own arse than a footy club.

The Port Adelaide Footy Club I have followed all my life has ONE simple mantra:

WE EXIST TO WIN PREMIERSHIPS.

And as the great man Fos Williams said:

“We will ask everyone in our club – staff, players, members and supporters – to Live the Creed"

Talking about different 'departments' and 'multi tasking' is a pile of bureaucratic crap. What happens behind the scenes at the Alan Scott HQ is NOT what the average supporter gives a toss about - you know the 50,000+ supporters who have signed up to this club again in the hope of success.

To them the PAFC has always been about one thing (regardless of what happens in the offices and behind the scenes at Alberton) - what happens ON FIELD.

And since that horrible prelim last year they are hurting because what has happened on field then and since does not match the mantra or the creed. This is why a public statement from the club on the PBs last week or this week (essentially just giving a 'nothing to see here' status update but with no substance or result) would have been out of place IMHO.

'multi-tasking' Feck me.

Getting Ready Carlos Tevez GIF by Tomi Ferraro, Sportz

Last edited:
WTF are you on about with this different departments and multi-tasking BS?

Sounds more like a fecking annual report from a government department with its head up its own arse than a footy club.

The Port Adelaide Footy Club I have followed all my life has ONE simple mantra:

WE EXIST TO WIN PREMIERSHIPS.

And as the great man Fos Williams said:

“We will ask everyone in our club – staff, players, members and supporters – to Live the Creed"

Talking about different 'departments' and 'multi taking' is a pile of bureaucratic crap. That is NOT what the average supporter gives a toss about.

To them the PAFC has always been about one thing - what happens ON FIELD.

'multi-tasking' Feck me.

Getting Ready Carlos Tevez GIF by Tomi Ferraro, Sportz

Luckily Bruce Webber only concerned himself with the on field stuff otherwise we would still be playing in the SANFL……..wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luckily Bruce Webber only concerned himself with the on field stuff otherwise we would still be playing in the SANFL……..wait

You mean Bruce Weber who kept the club and supporters focussed on winning Premierships on-field while working secretly behind the scenes to get our club into the AFL (until the News broke the story publicly)?

And even when that first bid failed - we STILL won a Premiership.

Something that those who followed in his footsteps, under Greg Boulton, did as well while learning from past mistakes and understanding the need to act strategically. Achieving the ultimate success of winning on field in the 1994 SANFL Grand Final AND finally winning the bid to enter the AFL.

The Creed always came first.

Winning on field was never compromised despite the turmoil of those years. And publicity from the club was ALWAYS focussed on one thing - the game and our desire for on-field success.

Last edited:
You mean Bruce Weber who kept the club and supporters focussed on winning Premierships on-field while working secretly behind the scenes to get our club into the AFL (until the News broke the story publicly)?

And even when that first bid failed - we STILL won a Premiership.

Something that those who followed in his footsteps, under Greg Boulton, did as well while learning from past mistakes and understanding the need to act strategically. Achieving the ultimate success of winning on field in the 1994 SANFL Grand Final AND finally winning the bid to enter the AFL.

The Creed always came first.

Winning on field was never compromised despite the turmoil of those years. And publicity from the club was ALWAYS focussed on one thing - the game and our desire for on-field success.

Almost as if he performed 2 tasks simultaneously. May I say he….. multi-tasked?

Almost as if he performed 2 tasks simultaneously. May I say he….. multi-tasked?

Not publicly.

Which has been my point in every single post in this thread.

WTF have you missed the point entirely?

Jesus Wept.

Festerz you're absolutely miles off here, time to just slink away from the thread rather than doubling down in the face of everyone disagreeing with you
What you mean is that my thinking is miles off what you and most others in this thread are thinking. That is obviously spot on. You and a few others here have downvoted everyone of my posts to provide feedback on that and some have responded accordingly. All totally acceptable if done without personal malice or insult.

But you know, that's what generally happens in discussion forums - people having strong opposing positions as opposed to echo chambers of everyone in furious disagreement. I've outlined this to you in other threads where you've tried to play the policeman and directed whose views have a right to be heard and whose view should be silenced (based on your particular view of what is right and wrong of course).

But here you are going one step further and directing me to go away. Because my opinions on how the club I follow should act are in strong conflict with your thoughts and the thoughts of the overwhelming majority in this thread? It's causing disharmony.

IMHO that (telling someone to 'slink away from the thread…in the face of everyone disagreeing with you' ) is way-off acceptable positioning in what is meant to be an open discussion forum. And, I think, more than a little bit cowardly. Certainly not what I would expect from a fellow Port supporter in a Port thread, given that is exactly the sort of stuff we as Port supporters continually face from the overwhelming majority of non-Port supporters who dominate the press and social media platforms.

But as it is the wish of the majority I will follow your direction and depart rather than causing more angst to the group.

Last edited:

We don't need to put the prison bars campaign on the backburner to achieve this anymore than we need to cancel the Alberton redevelopment to achieve it.

After 25 years, it's clear that negotiating in private isn't going to achieve our goals here. We've asked and asked behind closed doors and been knocked back. The way to achieve this is through public pressure.

And importantly, success is a club-wide habit. We get pushed around and treated like a poor club because we act like one despite being an upper middle club in this league in terms of support and revenue. The AFL is happy with the status quo. Kochie is happy playing the underdog card so he's not forced to actually achieve anything. The Prison Bars campaign is ultimately part of a wider push to get the club and the league to start treating supporters with respect. The kind of club that can flex their muscle to achieve wearing the prison bars on our terms is the kind of club that will step up and win premierships. We were sold Koch as a big name chairman who would have influence, our own McGuire. He couldn't be further from it.

As I said earlier, we could Sack Hinkley and announce we're wearing the PBs against Melbourne tomorrow if we had the guts to stand up for ourselves. Doing one doesn't preclude us from doing the other, and our lack of success is certainly not because of spending too much time on non-football issues.

John Butcher in the 2022 SANFL Prison Bars.
John-Butcher-1.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't need to put the prison bars campaign on the backburner to achieve this anymore than we need to cancel the Alberton redevelopment to achieve it.

After 25 years, it's clear that negotiating in private isn't going to achieve our goals here. We've asked and asked behind closed doors and been knocked back. The way to achieve this is through public pressure.

And importantly, success is a club-wide habit. We get pushed around and treated like a poor club because we act like one despite being an upper middle club in this league in terms of support and revenue. The AFL is happy with the status quo. Kochie is happy playing the underdog card so he's not forced to actually achieve anything. The Prison Bars campaign is ultimately part of a wider push to get the club and the league to start treating supporters with respect. The kind of club that can flex their muscle to achieve wearing the prison bars on our terms is the kind of club that will step up and win premierships. We were sold Koch as a big name chairman who would have influence, our own McGuire. He couldn't be further from it.

As I said earlier, we could Sack Hinkley and announce we're wearing the PBs against Melbourne tomorrow if we had the guts to stand up for ourselves. Doing one doesn't preclude us from doing the other, and our lack of success is certainly not because of spending too much time on non-football issues.
Koch `happy playing the underdog card so he is not forced to actually achieve anything,' is right on the money!
Even the happiest of happy clappers should have woken up to that turkey by now.

Yep, clubs win premierships.

Currently the club is like a piece of Rocky Road, too much marshmallow at the top and then it ends up everywhere.

1649027379432.jpeg

Our home Showdown is RD 23. There's nothing that can be said right now about it, even if the decision has been made one way or another.

This has gone quiet...Koch, Richo and co are weak as piss.

i mean to put it another way, we've gone quiet. we just put it all on the club to do this for us and the club doesn't want to do it, so...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back